tziogasjohn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
My pc is a few months old.

I recently bought dark souls 3 and sekiro shadows die twice but, the games are almost unplayable because even though they run at a steady 60 FPS suddenly the FPS drop to 0 and the game freezes for just a second and then they go back up to 60 FPS as if nothing had ever happened.

I've also noticed a few drops in League of Legends but, they happen very rarely.

Also, every driver is up-to-date

Edit: After some testing with HWiNFO, I've noticed that when these drops happen, my CPU usage spikes up (from ~35% to ~60-70%) and GPU usage drops down (from ~60% to ~10-20%) (the values change a bit between games)

MSI TOMAHAWK MAX B450
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660 6GB
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
It has been quite a while. Turns out my realtek driver was interfering with my sound card(which i bought because I had some issues with my audio) and that was causing the frame drops. I just disabled the realtek drivers and now all games run smoothly.

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
These fps drops do they occur when entering a new area and the games trying to load the environment?? Or completely random??

I own both of these great games and have sometimes experienced what you have mentioned!

Both games are made for (optimised) console hence the 60fps cap so may have slight hiccups on pc tech

tziogasjohn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
These fps drops do they occur when entering a new area and the games trying to load the environment?? Or completely random??

I own both of these great games and have sometimes experienced what you have mentioned!

Both games are made for (optimised) console hence the 60fps cap so may have slight hiccups on pc tech
It happens completely randomly and quite often

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
I would suggest putting v-sync on and trying to cap the frame rate using a utility program such after burner. If your still having issues after that I would suggest looking at potentially upping RAM.

tziogasjohn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
I would suggest putting v-sync on and trying to cap the frame rate using a utility program such after burner. If your still having issues after that I would suggest looking at potentially upping RAM.
Why should I cap the framerate? It's already capped at 60. And how will v-sync help if the game runs at 60 FPS? It will only cause more trouble because every other game will also run at 60 FPS which is not optimal. Also, why should I get more RAM? I'm not even using all of it. Plus, the recommended amount of RAM is 8GB.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Why should I cap the framerate? It's already capped at 60. And how will v-sync help if the game runs at 60 FPS? It will only cause more trouble because every other game will also run at 60 FPS which is not optimal. Also, why should I get more RAM? I'm not even using all of it. Plus, the recommended amount of RAM is 8GB.

If your CPU is ever a bottleneck for your GPU capping the frame rate can help alleviate issues. V-Sync solution is going off the same principle essentially. Limit the amount of work the GPU can do. Will help prevent any issues form bottlenecks. For RAM, 8GB is essentially the bare minimum you need for a PC these days. Getting another 8GB especially at higher clock speed could help alleviate performance issues. Potentially free performance boost, if you haven't already ensure XMP is turned on in your BIOS for your RAM. Otherwise its running of the base clock of 21333 mhz.

As a side note I would never use the "recommended" setting as the end all be all when it comes to games. The term "recommended" is sadly subjective. For some developers running at 1080p at 30FPS is their recommended. It changes game per game and developer per developer.

tziogasjohn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
What temps are you getting on cpu and gpu? High temps could cause thermal throttling which could cause these issues
My temps seem fine I think, about 60c average, however, after some testing with HWiNFO, I've noticed that when these drops happen, my CPU usage spikes up (from ~35% to ~60-70%) and GPU usage drops down (from ~60% to ~10-20%) (of course the values change a bit between games)

Last edited:

tziogasjohn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
It has been quite a while. Turns out my realtek driver was interfering with my sound card(which i bought because I had some issues with my audio) and that was causing the frame drops. I just disabled the realtek drivers and now all games run smoothly.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS