Question Stuttering in all the games on my PC ?

Jun 27, 2022
I have been facing stutters in my games for over 2 years and i have literally tried everything there is on the internet, even reinstalling windows. I have even increased ram and then also added ssd to my system but the problem still persists. Stress tested my storage, ram and cpu using various softwares, everything seems to be running correctly. I am out of options now!

Things I tried:-
  • Disabling HPET
  • Disabling gaming dvr and all the other xbox gaming stuff
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 (twice)
  • Clean install of gpu drivers
  • Turning power options to high performance
  • Disabled windows update
  • Disabled superfetch

My Specs:
i5 8400
gtx 1050ti
1 TB HDD
500 GB SSD (My operating system is installed in this ssd)
16 GB RAM

I am currently running on Windows 10. If anyone has any suggestions then please help me out.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Presumably this stress testing showed no abnormal temperatures?
Power supply? It can be a source for unexpected computer behavior.

Check your hard drive's power options. If they are set to spin down at idle, they can cause systems to pause when spinning back up. If the game needs to load in additional assets or textures, and they are on the hard drive, that would do it.

Jun 27, 2022
Presumably this stress testing showed no abnormal temperatures?
Power supply? It can be a source for unexpected computer behavior.

Check your hard drive's power options. If they are set to spin down at idle, they can cause systems to pause when spinning back up. If the game needs to load in additional assets or textures, and they are on the hard drive, that would do it.

Stress test showed no abnormal temperatures everything was well below 70 degrees and about the power supply, I have a 650W power supply which should be enough to power the system.

I also changed the hard disk power options but the problem is still there. Additionally I also checked if the game was using all cpu cores and it does, also i tried setting the priority of the game to realtime from the task manager and it didn't work too.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Stress test showed no abnormal temperatures everything was well below 70 degrees and about the power supply, I have a 650W power supply which should be enough to power the system.

I also changed the hard disk power options but the problem is still there. Additionally I also checked if the game was using all cpu cores and it does, also i tried setting the priority of the game to realtime from the task manager and it didn't work too.

650W isn't very descriptive. There are a wide range of options in terms of quality.

And even good power supplies can have problems or fail. Monitoring voltages under load and comparing them to the ATX minimum specs is the only somewhat useful method for checking a PSU. Really though you need external equipment to be sure.

Does the GPU exhibit stuttering during benchmarks?

Jun 27, 2022
650W isn't very descriptive. There are a wide range of options in terms of quality.

And even good power supplies can have problems or fail. Monitoring voltages under load and comparing them to the ATX minimum specs is the only somewhat useful method for checking a PSU. Really though you need external equipment to be sure.

Does the GPU exhibit stuttering during benchmarks?
No, no stutters whatsoever during benchmarks, it runs normally and also shows no signs of overheating. Moreover i also went into bios to check the core voltage of my cpu and it comes around 0.9V.

The issue is less in some games and more in others. For ex. Fifa only stutters a bit after loading and the gameplay is smooth but other games like Metro Exodus, COD Warzone, Batman Arkham Knight stutter horribly and are unplayable which should not be the case because i have enough on my pc to run them smoothly.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Have you tried disabling the c-states in your BIOS?

From Google:

"Disabling C-states just means the processor won't turn off unused parts of the processor while it's operating to conserve power. Modern sleep (on a modern computer) in Windows10 is a hybrid sleep that entails writing a save-state to disk storage and shutting the processor off completely. "

"Disabling C-States can help with stability but it isn't likely to help if you aren't doing anything extreme. Disabling C-States will prevent your processor from going into a low power state and will significantly increase idle power consumption."

Also, have you disabled HDD Sleep in Advanced Power Options?

Jun 27, 2022
Have you tried disabling the c-states in your BIOS?

From Google:

"Disabling C-states just means the processor won't turn off unused parts of the processor while it's operating to conserve power. Modern sleep (on a modern computer) in Windows10 is a hybrid sleep that entails writing a save-state to disk storage and shutting the processor off completely. "

"Disabling C-States can help with stability but it isn't likely to help if you aren't doing anything extreme. Disabling C-States will prevent your processor from going into a low power state and will significantly increase idle power consumption."

Also, have you disabled HDD Sleep in Advanced Power Options?
Yep, i tried them both and still there's stutter in games. I have also tried disabling turbo boost but that didn't work.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Causes to this particular problem is difficult to pinpoint, as there can be numerous and multiple variables causing this to happen.

A few years ago, I had this same issue. What solved it for me specifically, was going into my Windows power settings and changing it from Balanced, to High Performance.
Balanced can change the voltage and in turn, the clock speed of some of your hardware, which can cause performance spikes.

Overclocking can do this too, whether it is custom overclocking, or for example, Intel's turbo boost. If you do custom overclocking, I'd either make sure you did it right or turn it off.
If your cpu has some sort of turbo feature (factory overclocking), try turning this off too, if your issue persists after the power management change.

If all this fails to remedy the issue, try temporarily turning off your anti-virus program and Windows Game Mode, to see if that is causing the issue. If that doesn't work either, you'd have to dig into this a little further.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022
Causes to this particular problem is difficult to pinpoint, as there can be numerous and multiple variables causing this to happen.

A few years ago, I had this same issue. What solved it for me specifically, was going into my Windows power settings and changing it from Balanced, to High Performance.
Balanced can change the voltage and in turn, the clock speed of some of your hardware, which can cause performance spikes.

Overclocking can do this too, whether it is custom overclocking, or for example, Intel's turbo boost. If you do custom overclocking, I'd either make sure you did it right or turn it off.
If your cpu has some sort of turbo feature (factory overclocking), try turning this off too, if your issue persists after the power management change.

If all this fails to remedy the issue, try temporarily turning off your anti-virus program and Windows Game Mode, to see if that is causing the issue. If that doesn't work either, you'd have to dig into this a little further.
I changed the power options but it made no effect whatsoever. I don't have any kind of custom overclocking and i also disabled turbo boost and speedstep in case they were a issue but it just made things worse so i had to turn them on again.

Also i turned off windows defender but that also doesn't work. At this point I don't know what's causing the issue because my hardware passes every stress test and any software fixes don't work for me.

Oct 28, 2021
I changed the power options but it made no effect whatsoever. I don't have any kind of custom overclocking and i also disabled turbo boost and speedstep in case they were a issue but it just made things worse so i had to turn them on again.

Also i turned off windows defender but that also doesn't work. At this point I don't know what's causing the issue because my hardware passes every stress test and any software fixes don't work for me.
I feel your pain. I haven’t enjoyed gaming for the past year due to game stutters on what’s a very high end PC. Followed every optimisation and fix under the sun. Please if you find a fix let me know, it’s really unbearable now. One thing I didn’t see is turning off all Exploit Protection settings.

also look for YouTuber Fr33thy Windows Optimisation guide, really good and may have some items you haven’t considered yet

Jun 27, 2022
I feel your pain. I haven’t enjoyed gaming for the past year due to game stutters on what’s a very high end PC. Followed every optimisation and fix under the sun. Please if you find a fix let me know, it’s really unbearable now. One thing I didn’t see is turning off all Exploit Protection settings.

also look for YouTuber Fr33thy Windows Optimisation guide, really good and may have some items you haven’t considered yet
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried everything you suggested but it doesn't seem to be working. I built this pc for gaming and i can't enjoy my games because of the horrible stuttering issues. Can't even locate the root cause.

Oct 28, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried everything you suggested but it doesn't seem to be working. I built this pc for gaming and i can't enjoy my games because of the horrible stuttering issues. Can't even locate the root cause.
I tried something tonight with RTSS, in the game Control and GTA5. I changed Scanline Sync to -60 then set my frame rate limit. No stutter on those two but couldn’t get it to work on Fortnite yet

I have been facing stutters in my games for over 2 years and i have literally tried everything there is on the internet, even reinstalling windows. I have even increased ram and then also added ssd to my system but the problem still persists. Stress tested my storage, ram and cpu using various softwares, everything seems to be running correctly. I am out of options now!

Things I tried:-
Disabling HPET
Disabling gaming dvr and all the other xbox gaming stuff
Reinstalled Windows 10 (2 times)
Clean install of gpu drivers
Turning power options to high performance
Disabled windows update
Disabled superfetch

My Specs:
i5 8400
gtx 1050ti
1 TB HDD
500 GB SSD (My operating system is installed in this ssd)
16 GB RAM

I am currently running on Windows 10. If anyone has any suggestions then please help me out.
Just to take a peek.

Download this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
As agawtrip said, your games should be installed on an SSD, rather than a hard disk, in this day and age.
If this doesn't resolve your issue, I would just go ahead and reinstall Windows from scratch at this point, also on an SSD.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Do you have pagefile off ? You should, and it probably caches on HDD also. Pagefile is an old Microsoft memory leak problem that was used at times people could never get enough RAM to do everything they wanted.
Been Pagefile free since 2000 on multiple OS with no issues.
When HDD goes, it has performance issues which would explain all your symptoms.
Better do all your backups now, while you still can.
2TB SSDs are not out of reach today.

Jun 27, 2022
Do you have pagefile off ? You should, and it probably caches on HDD also. Pagefile is an old Microsoft memory leak problem that was used at times people could never get enough RAM to do everything they wanted.
Been Pagefile free since 2000 on multiple OS with no issues.
When HDD goes, it has performance issues which would explain all your symptoms.
Better do all your backups now, while you still can.
2TB SSDs are not out of reach today.
Yep, tried it too no affect on stutters.
I monitored my gpu and cpu while gaming and got to know that my gpu was dipping in usage from time to time. Is it okay or is something wrong?

Oct 28, 2021
Sorry if this has been suggested.

Lock your GPU core my friend. If you say the GPU core was dipping it may not be boosting correctly which happens on newer cards. Google your GPU specs, it should give you the boost ghz, example my 3070 boosts between 1700-1850ghz. download MSI after burner, on main screen hit curve editor button, depending on your GPU boost pick that dot on the curve and hit L to lock. Then apply that back on the main screen and try again.