Aug 2, 2023
Having issues with my new to me EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3. I had no issues with my old GTX 1070 FE, but ever since upgrading basically all games have a weird stutter/frame pacing issue.

I have tried basically every resolution available on the internet but nothing seems to work.

When moving the mouse quickly/flicking the game appears to deliver certain frames significantly slower than others, and games that use UE4 seem like they're always blurry.

It's almost like G-Sync isn't actually enabled.

I've updated my MB BIOS, V-Bios, multiple fresh driver installs using DDU, tried disabling settings in NVCP, tried changing BIOS settings, tried disabling/editing settings for the applications, in Windows, and more.

The GPU has no issue with benchmarks, easily pushing the framerates expected and using the correct amount of power.

Certain games seem to have no issue, but the games I want to play seem to turn into a choppy blurry mess.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It looks like a bottleneck between gpu and your old cpu. If you jumped lets say like 80 frames higher than your 1070 was able to deliver this would mean that the drop caused by the cpu bottleneck is also a lot bigger than before (if any). No syncing technology is able to smooth out drops like 100 frames. I am using the same cpu but non-k, overclocked at 4.3 ghz and i know their limit. Used to be beast but today they cannot handle the power of a 3080 no matter what you do

Did you play any of these games on your 1070?

What games are you talking about?

Have you used anything to cap frame rates to see if there's a potential issue here? (try both in game (if it exists) and external)

What monitor are you using? (also if you want to use freesync/gsync correctly, and the game is coded right, turning on vsync is what you want to do).

Aug 2, 2023
Did you play any of these games on your 1070?

What games are you talking about?

Have you used anything to cap frame rates to see if there's a potential issue here? (try both in game (if it exists) and external)

What monitor are you using? (also if you want to use freesync/gsync correctly, and the game is coded right, turning on vsync is what you want to do).
It wouldn't let me include the name of the games in the original post but Val orant, Fort nite, and Halo Infinite are the biggest offenders.

I cap the frame rate to 138 or 141 for G-Sync smoothness and I tried capping through NVCP as well but it still exhibits the same issue.

Should capping the FPS to 60 decrease the issue then?

I play all of these games at 2560x1440 on my Dell S2716DG.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023
It looks like a bottleneck between gpu and your old cpu. If you jumped lets say like 80 frames higher than your 1070 was able to deliver this would mean that the drop caused by the cpu bottleneck is also a lot bigger than before (if any). No syncing technology is able to smooth out drops like 100 frames. I am using the same cpu but non-k, overclocked at 4.3 ghz and i know their limit. Used to be beast but today they cannot handle the power of a 3080 no matter what you do
I played all of these games at a lower framerate ( about 30 fps lower on average) with no issues on my 1070.

I had my CPU OC'd to 4.2 ghz and it seemed like the issue was even worse, since then I have reverted to base boost clock of 3.9 ghz but I don't really see over 90% usage often.

So more than likely it is my CPU bottlenecking?

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Minimum cpu for a 3080 is 6 cores. He has 4. I would check if the PSU is up to the task. Yes he is very cpu bottlenecked.

An RTX 3080 requires a minimum of 750 watts power supply. If you plan to overclock your RTX 3080 or run it at high settings, its recommend a power supply of 850 watts or higher. Hitching and stuttering can have lots of different sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Ferrari
Aug 3, 2023
Minimum cpu for a 3080 is 6 cores. He has 4. I would check if the PSU is up to the task. Yes he is very cpu bottlenecked.

An RTX 3080 requires a minimum of 750 watts power supply. If you plan to overclock your RTX 3080 or run it at high settings, we recommend a power supply of 850 watts or higher. Hitching and stuttering can have lots of different sources.
an an old Ivy ddr3 cpu too. the issues he is describing do sound like cpu limtation (frametimes).
an upgrade is badly needed.

Aug 2, 2023
sounds like cpu related frame hitching. what is your per core usage on 3770k ?
In Valo rant between 50-70%, in Fort nite between 60-80% peaking up to 90%, Halo Infinite between 85-100% usage at 72fps, 100% constant at 144fps. This is at the base boost clock of 3.9ghz.

Aug 2, 2023

An RTX 3080 requires a minimum of 750 watts power supply. If you plan to overclock your RTX 3080 or run it at high settings, we recommend a power supply of 850 watts or higher. Hitching and stuttering can have lots of different sources.
Sounds like the CPU/RAM is the probable culprit. I have an XFX 750w PSU currently. It seems to be up for the task, HW Monitor shows the card pulling up to 400w in benchmarks/high fps situations and it usually only pulls around 150w in Valo rant or Fort nite from what I've observed.

Aug 2, 2023
an an old Ivy ddr3 cpu too. the issues he is describing do sound like cpu limtation (frametimes).
an upgrade is badly needed.
I'll start looking into a system upgrade, I was hoping that it was somethin simple I was missing. If there's more information you would like me to supply please let me know, I may be able to take a video of it tomorrow, although I'm not even sure it will show up in a recording.

Aug 3, 2023
probably slow ddr3 too. Ivy won't take 2400 iirc. Ampere might have a higher cpu overhead than pascal as well.
Try to save for an upgrade, 11400f/r5 5600+ddr4 3600 should be good, but faster can't hurt.

Reactions: zx128k
It wouldn't let me include the name of the games in the original post but Val orant, Fort nite, and Halo Infinite are the biggest offenders.

I cap the frame rate to 138 or 141 for G-Sync smoothness and I tried capping through NVCP as well but it still exhibits the same issue.

Should capping the FPS to 60 decrease the issue then?

I play all of these games at 2560x1440 on my Dell S2716DG.
You should definitely try capping at a lower frame rate 60-72 would be the range I'd shoot for in your case. It sounds like the CPU is basically getting maxed out so every time it's the bottleneck you're noticing big time.

It really is time for a platform upgrade though if you're going to use that high end of a video card.

green.masood

Honorable
Jan 3, 2019
if you have said that no stutter is in your build i would have wondering
bottleneck is obvious in your system you gotta upgrade your cpu to 10th gen of i7 at least

probably slow ddr3 too. Ivy won't take 2400 iirc. Ampere might have a higher cpu overhead than pascal as well.
Try to save for an upgrade, 11400f/r5 5600+ddr4 3600 should be good, but faster can't hurt.
I have the non K 3770 and it runs my Ripjaws 2400 fine. Also i saw huge difference in 1% lows after installing them. This cpu is still rocking but i am sure it cannot handle the 3080 for many games

I played all of these games at a lower framerate ( about 30 fps lower on average) with no issues on my 1070.

I had my CPU OC'd to 4.2 ghz and it seemed like the issue was even worse, since then I have reverted to base boost clock of 3.9 ghz but I don't really see over 90% usage often.

So more than likely it is my CPU bottlenecking?
Probably yes. Others mentioned also ram frequency and latency which is correct. Fast ram helps with lows which means the drops will have a smaller range. Single core scores for this cpu are still great so maybe your ram is holding you back. I had never had issues with stutters, in any game, i am running a RX580 though

zx128k

Reputable
Basically the 3080 is going to be massively bottleneck. He has a i7 3770k which is 4 cores and 8 threads. He will have DDR3 which will have good latency but poor bandwidth. It could be any overlay, OS issue and just the system (CPU/RAM) that makes the games 0.1%/1% lows bad. Also loading in the background from a hard disk can cause the issue.

The rest of the system should be upgraded when you can afford it. Games are starting to require nvme drives for directstorage and a 4 core cpu won't cut it in many new games. Unreal engine 5 needs a good cpu for example.

The 3770k will bottleneck the 3080 a lot.

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
Allegedly some(all?)games allow to be played at 4K in the background on 1440p monitor.
I haven't tested it myself while I used 1440p monitor and I did have 3080 12GB.

IF so,perhaps that would solve or lower your problem.
Otherwise it is time for some major upgrades.

Aug 2, 2023
Resolved the issue! It was actually due to my Logitech Mouse's Wireless Adapter being plugged into USB3.0 instead of 2.0, all of my games are now smooth! Thank you all for the assistance, I'm going to put off upgrading the CPU/Ram until I play more demanding games or a good deal comes along!

Edit: Logitech Support confirmed that all their wireless mice work best in USB 2.0, so if you're experiencing this same issue and you have a wireless mouse I would try switching to a 2.0 port. I found this solution by digging through random Red dit posts late at night.

Last edited:
Resolved the issue! It was actually due to my Logitech Mouse's Wireless Adapter being plugged into USB3.0 instead of 2.0, all of my games are now smooth! Thank you all for the assistance, I'm going to put off upgrading the CPU/Ram until I play more demanding games or a good deal comes along!

Edit: Logitech Support confirmed that all their wireless mice work best in USB 2.0, so if you're experiencing this same issue and you have a wireless mouse I would try switching to a 2.0 port. I found this solution by digging through random Red dit posts late at night.
Thanks for sharing.