[SOLVED] Stuttering on windows 10 computer

Aug 15, 2019
I've been experiencing random stuttering on my new gaming pc that I built around 6 months ago. It has occasion fps drops in games but that is not bad (it drops from 300fps in league to 100 randomly). When the stuttering is bad audio stops playing from my headphones over discord others hear me as robotic and the mouse jumps around while I move it. the bad stutters are rare but I get small stutters where the mouse jumps around whenever I close or open an application or mouse over links in chrome. Its not the worst experience in the world but it does really annoy me especially while browsing the internet which is where it is worse.

I've looked at my thermals and they are all normal my components are:
zotac rtx 2080
intel i9 9900k
2x 8gb 3200 trident z rgb
asus rog strix z390e gaming motherboard
running on windows 10 on an ssd.

all the drivers are up to date and I've only had a problem since I upgraded from my old gaming pc to this one.

here is a link to a youtube video display the small stutters
View: https://youtu.be/bsCfeYGK4z8

I had many applications open during the recording know that it happens even with all but one closed. It does not happen when no application is open.

Solution
Is your Win 10 a local install or are you all snagged up in all their internet junk?

The cheap fixes that might work and don't require a great deal of money or thinking are:

--new cable from gpu to monitor, I am a big fan of displayport these days
--new data cable and new power cable for the SSD, switch the ports too (on the psu and on the mobo)

You might want to take a hard look at whether you have critical data files on the SSD and off load them. That way you don't have to be inhibited about reinstallation of the OS if it comes to that. It might not hurt to clone the drive but there is a danger of cloning whatever is wrong. What I mean is that your drive is currently working, if imperfectly. If you want to mess around...

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Is your Win 10 a local install or are you all snagged up in all their internet junk?

The cheap fixes that might work and don't require a great deal of money or thinking are:

--new cable from gpu to monitor, I am a big fan of displayport these days
--new data cable and new power cable for the SSD, switch the ports too (on the psu and on the mobo)

You might want to take a hard look at whether you have critical data files on the SSD and off load them. That way you don't have to be inhibited about reinstallation of the OS if it comes to that. It might not hurt to clone the drive but there is a danger of cloning whatever is wrong. What I mean is that your drive is currently working, if imperfectly. If you want to mess around with it, there is safety in having a backup. Backup will at least get you to where you were.

There are some ardent defenders of Win 10 in these fora and I am not one of them. The installation process was the worst of my computer using life. There were reports right here on Toms Hardware of significant incompatibilities between 1903 update and commercial AV programs and frankly the instability was so bad in the first weeks (late May) that I haven't dared install an after market antivirus. Just using Win Defenders. The supporters of Win 10 say those issues were resolved and it's all fine. That was a bit hard to swallow given that I was on the verge or reinstalling Win 8.1 to get my system operational (I liked, and still do, Win 8.1).

Anyhow just using Win Defender is an option that may help stabilize your system. But personally, I think the biggest OS step you can take towards stability is to do a fresh install that is completely local (if your version connects to the internet).

Greg N

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had an issue with newer Geforce drivers early last year for my 1080Ti where Gsync wouldn't disengage properly after exiting or tabbing out of any game and would cause similar stutters. Might not be this at all as this prob has been fixed afaik but thought to mention it in case this may have returned.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I'm assuming you're using a SATA SSD. I looked up your mobo and it supports M.2 NVMe, which is what I'm using (successfully I guess, no crashes now for a few weeks). That might help, but when my system was unstable, it was unstable on the NVMe. So I don't think that is by itself a "cure."