Question Stuttering video playback and low FPS performance

motherboardy

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
So i have a problem with my Toshiba windows laptop that i've been trying to figure it out for weeks now...

My laptop has an intel hd graphics and a dedicated AMD graphics card which worked fine until a month ago when i noticed that every video i play is stuttering and it has frame drops. Whether it's netflix, youtube or amazon prime the video playback is just lagging and stutters but the audio works fine.
I want to say that i have tried everything. My internet speed is not the issue ( i have a very fast internet) and i think that my amd GPU drivers are up to date as i updated them manually from the official amd website.
My AMD settings are at high performance and my games are running on the dedicated card (at least that's what is showing)

I even have fps drops in League of Legends which i didn't have before this.

I also want to mention that the pc is working fine through windows 8.1 OS and is running smoothly on the internet/ms office/certain apps and so on, using google chrome. I tried playing a netflix video on firefox/internet explorer but the result was the same...even worse.

PS: My laptop battery is dead since a few months ago (i am powering my pc with the original cable/charger) but i don't think that this has sth to do with it because my issue is recent.
Any advice is welcome...thanks

What's the exact MODEL Number of your Toshiba LAPTOP/SKU ? Any overheating issues on your system ?

GPU drivers are up to date as i updated them manually from the official amd website

This is might sound like a dumb advice, but have you tried installing the OEM drivers from the Manufacturer's Official Website ? For LAPTOPS this is highly recommended though. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates, in case of any performance loss or any other issue. Rollback the drivers, if need be.

Do all the Games also STUTTER when played on the dedicated GPU of your Laptop ? Do you also have the latest "firmware" installed on your Laptop (including BIOS)?

Can you list the exact model of your laptop?

It could be a software issue. As in, a broken codec for vid playback. Download something k-lite codec pack, install it, and see if that makes a difference for the video playback.

The fact you are experiencing FPS issues in gaming, makes me thing your GPU/CPU might be overheating, which can happen in laptops. Check the vents on the laptop exhaust areas. Make sure they are dust free and clean. YOu may have to open up the chassis to ensure they are completely clear of dust. Once you have done that, then see how it goes when you do the same kind of stuff.

Also, make sure you have the most up to date GPU/System Drivers fore your laptop, from the manufacturer. It might be worth looking at a bios update, and/or an OS re-install. But do the other things first to see if that works.

motherboardy

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
thx for the answers.
Alright so my laptop model is toshiba satellite L50-B-1DM
I had the original OEM drivers from the toshiba website installed a week ago but the issue was the same nothing different.
I don't think it's overheating and i'm also using a cooling pad while playing games such as LOL, CS:GO, etc. I don't play games that often on this laptop but the netflix video playback and youtube are driving me crazy. it can't be overheated when playing a netflix tv show because my cpu usage is about 25-35% plus i'm using the cooling pad and my laptop fan is clean and clear.
I will have a look tomorrow at my firmware installed

motherboardy

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
Try the codec pack.
I don't think that the codec pack will do the trick because it needs to be linked to a media player like Potplayer, VLC, ... and i don't have issues with playing a local video file. If i play a video file from my HDD it's running good with potplayer.
When it comes to streaming services like youtube amazon or netflix that's where the playback stutters.

motherboardy

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
Yes, but the streaming services will also use a player, whether it's local or remote. Codec is worth a try. But more importantly and as we've outlind, make sure system driers, (GPU included) and bios are up to date.

Cheers
UPDATE: So... yesterday i did a clean drivers installation. I uninstalled amd gpu drivers in safe mode with a tool from their website and i was able to remove everything from AMD. After that i have downloaded from toshiba website the original OEM GPU drivers for my laptop and i installed them. i even checked my bios version and is up to date. Everything is up to date but sadly the result was the same nothing has changed. I will try with the k lite codec pack since it is my last hope, but after i study a bit about its settings cause through the installation process it requires a lot of settings and "check-boxes".

Dec 19, 2018
I have a P 55 W C Toshiba Satellite and having the same issues on Windows 1809.Clean install but still problem persists.It seems like a memory leak and crashes on all Chromium browsers.Do you have Synaptics installed? Problems in the past with their drivers.

motherboardy

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
I have a P 55 W C Toshiba Satellite and having the same issues on Windows 1809.Clean install but still problem persists.It seems like a memory leak and crashes on all Chromium browsers.Do you have Synaptics installed? Problems in the past with their drivers.
No i don't think i have synaptics installed and i never had issues with this before;)

motherboardy

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
Yes, but the streaming services will also use a player, whether it's local or remote. Codec is worth a try. But more importantly and as we've outlind, make sure system driers, (GPU included) and bios are up to date.

Cheers
So after i realized that my GPU drivers and bios are up to date 👆, i installed the k lite codec pack but my problem persists. Checked few videos on youtube and netflix and the playback is the same( stuttering, sluggish ...) I dont have any other solutions to this at this moment but lucky for me i have a Google chromecast so i can watch my tv shows via wifi without issues.