[SOLVED] Stutters/freezes in games and memory management crashes

gorkemaltun627

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
Hey everyone. I want to present you a problem I'm facing that I can't have found a solution for.

My specs are:

Asus tuf gaming B450 pro motherboard
2x8 ram (each different, both gskill but different models)
MSI 1050 TI 4GB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
1x 1TB HDD
1X 500GB HDD

I had no perticular issue in gaming or anything untill the end of summer 2021. During the summer I wanted to buy a new SSD because well it's a must now. I bought my SSD in a different city and came back to my home about a week later and decided to install it.

It took me some time to figure out where to install it (back of the metal sheet where you put the motherboard on) but I installed it once I figured out how.

Then I wanted to test a game where I needed the SSD so much for and it didn't change much, the game is escape from tarkov which is still early access and is known for it's optimization issues so I didn't mind much, everything else was fine as much as I can remember.

Then I wiped my pc to install windows on the SSD but while wiping, windows has a notorious problem when you have multiple storage devices plugged in, I did some googling, turns out I had to unplug the HDD's so windows would only see the SSD.

I installed windows 10 from a USB drive that I had set up back in 2019, thinking that the updates would take me to today's version not long after.

Once I set my PC it was running fine with a boot time of a few seconds (20-30) untill it had an update.

Once the PC hit the first update, the next time I booted it, it would take minutes (up to 5-10) to boot up.

Realizing this isn't normal I did another wipe, thinking something got corrupted during the previous wiping process.

After about 5 complete wipes on the PC, the problem was still there and I decided to stick with it for now.

Not only was the boot time too long, but I also realized a very bad performance in pretty much everything I did, espically gaming.

Even the games I could play in solid 60 fps that came out 2 decades ago had bad freezes, stutters and lags.

Then I updated to windows 11 thinking it's still a software issue.

But after some time, while playing some games, I would get BSoD after frames locking and sound of the game stuttering with the error code of MEMORY MANAGEMENT.

I looked up on google what the memory management was about and turns out it mostly has to do with RAMs.

I ran windows diagnostic tool to figure out what's going on and it did give me an error, telling me to consult the manufacturer.

Issue is, the warranty of my RAMs (and everything else apart from the SSD) were invalid at that point.

So I ran the diagnostic tool again for each RAM, keeping only one of them at a time. And after running a few tests, one of them consistently had the same error while the other one didn't. So I unplugged the one with the error and kept the other having only 8gb of ram in my rig.

This somewhat fixed the long boot times but the performance was still very bad beyond what you would expect from a 8gb ram rig having memory management BSoDs much more frequently so I decided to put the other RAM back in which helped with the performance a little bit but still had freezes and crashes from time to time.

Also, after consulting the support of one of the games I played, they had me check if the problem was with the CPU or the GPU, but both were running as they should.

Right now I'm not sure if the problem is with the SSD or my RAMs, whole issue started after installing the SSD but google point out my RAMs.

I wonder what you think, thanks in advance.

Solution
Running mixed ram with Ryzen can cause problems. While it is best to have 2 sticks, it also helps if they match.

which tool did you use?? Memtest?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if ram fails memtest you can normally get it replaced for free if you have proof of purchase.

Still getting bsod?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Running mixed ram with Ryzen can cause problems. While it is best to have 2 sticks, it also helps if they match.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

if ram fails memtest you can normally get it replaced for free if you have proof of purchase.

Still getting bsod?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Solution

gorkemaltun627

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018

Still getting bsod?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Unmatching sticks were no problem till I installed the SSD, any chance the issue might be with the SSD?