rynmcdm

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I am trying to keep this build reasonable priced, preferably sub-$1000. The less the better. I am not particular on a lot of points, but am willing to listen to ideas of why I should spend a little more for the better whatzit.

Use: Gaming, internet, Photoshop

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Win 7 Home Premium

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, microcenter.com, amazon if necessary (price)

Parts Preferences: As far as processor, Intel. Everything else is a wash to me.

Overclocking: Maybe, not for a few months anyways

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, down the road as $$$ cooperate

Your Monitor Resolution: No monitor yet. Any leads on good deals? I'd like to do dual, but the second one can wait.

Additional Comments: Really, this is a replacement for my dead laptop. Gaming (from SimCity 2000 to Diablo III) will be the most frequent drain on it, with some Photoshop here and there.

Here is my current idea for a set up. Let me know if this all works together and will be a decent system:

Intel Core i5 2500K

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo

Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870

Cooler Master GX Series 750W PSU

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200RPM 6.0 Gb/s HDD

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2x4GB DDR3-1600

MSI Raptor Mid-Tower Case

LG BD-ROM

Questions:

1. Is there any real reason I should spend the extra $30 for the 3570K? And I don't mean "because what's another $30?", because $30 is two more cases of Miller High Life.

2. Is that PSU A. a good brand, good type, reliable and, B. is 750W just way too much? Even if I choose to SLI/Crossfire later?

3. I know some RAM does not work with some mobos. Does that type appear to work with the mobo? Is it a good speed?

4. Any real reason I should go with a full tower? I figure this is the most replaceable of all the pieces if really necessary, but should I go full on into a full tower instead of mid?

DeusAres

Distinguished
Other than for PCIe 3.0, no you don't need to spend the extra money. You'd gain a few frames if you were to go with the 3570k, but it's not necessary. You can wait and upgrade later if you so choose.

The PSU brand is meh. The wattage is just right and the 80+ certification is a welcome plus. I'd look more to trusted brands such as corsair, seasonic, and silverstone.

Try this...
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W

PC power and cooling PSUs are actually based off of the seasonic PSUs. It would be an excellent choice.

Do you plan on watching lots of blu rays and what not? If not, a standard dvd burner would suffice.

Everything else looks like solid choices.

stevofolife

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

if you want to stick with pre ivy bridge builds, check out the build on http://circafuture.com/how-to-build-a-computer/

it's decent and the performance wont disappoint you at all.

but if you want to get ivy bridge, just get an i5 and a z77 mobo and you're good to go. psu definitely 750W especially if you want to get SLI/Crossfire later.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Try this...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $890.26
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-01 01:00 EDT-0400)

If you can afford it, step up the GPU to the GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950