Jul 20, 2020
Good day all!

Ive been pondering moving my computer from a standard air cooled build to a mineral oil submerged build for some time. She has always had cooling issues despite having an case with eight fans. Ive used Liquid cooling which worked great for a season and now im back to a standard big block radiator / fan combo. It keeps her CPu moderately cooled but from time to time will still hard shutdown claiming over heat errors. She is primarily a gaming and rendering rig used with Blender.

She currently has..
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
RAM: G.Skill 28gb DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MH

I cannot recall my graphics card as i am posting this from work. Ive done a fiar amount of reading about mineral oil computers and was hoping for some guidance outside of being directed to the Puget systems website which has an empty stock store everytime i check it. in my research ive learned about not putting your Hard drives in the mineral oil bath even if they are SSD, Keeping the PSU outside the oil bath if possible will help keep heat generation lower, and that oil isnt cheap.

I mostly need guidance in a few areas such as..

The Tank! What kind of Tank is recommended? Will a generic fish tank work or does it have to be more squared then not?

The Radiator, What size radiator? How do you cool said radiator? Do you need more than one? And could it just be one ripped from an old car?

Cooling, Is the radiator + fans enough to cool the increasingly warm oil under load? Would a Tank Chiller be better in place of a radiator?

Pump, What kind of pump is required? Simple submerged pump or something external with a higher GPH or GPM?

Thanks to anyone who can help and provide me with any information.

Solution
Mineral oil PCs aren't practical cooling solutions, they're fun experiments. Nobody -- or practically nobody -- is using their day-to-day workhorse PC in this manner.

And even if it were a practical cooling solution, the amount this will cost to set up and maintain is more than enough that you could just upgrade to a modern platform rather than one from 2012.

And if you're still determined to do spend far more money on cooling than the entire PC is worth, going to an open loop is far more practical.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Mineral oil PCs aren't practical cooling solutions, they're fun experiments. Nobody -- or practically nobody -- is using their day-to-day workhorse PC in this manner.

And even if it were a practical cooling solution, the amount this will cost to set up and maintain is more than enough that you could just upgrade to a modern platform rather than one from 2012.

And if you're still determined to do spend far more money on cooling than the entire PC is worth, going to an open loop is far more practical.

Reactions: Czarwolf
Solution
Jul 20, 2020
Knew i forgot something lol. Ill double check when i get home but its an 8 core AMD running at 4.2ghz, All i remember off hand is it was a black edition of the processor came with some nice over clocking software.

Jul 20, 2020
Well if Mineral oil isnt optimal, what is recommended as far as Liquid cooling? I used a setup for it once before, it lasted about a year before losing the ability to keep up with my heat generation.

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
if your pc is overheating with liquid cooling, somethings up bro. what do you have in there? quad gtx 690s or 7990s? if you do, mad respect but you need major rad space for that. maybe you want to consider phase change cooling, http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/l/51-ld-pc-v10-phase-change.html something like this, however it will only cool one component. it could be good for just your cpu, and you can use the fan space for a thicc quad rad for your gpu setup. otherwise, maybe pick yourself up a ham noctua cooler and some accerlero IIIs or morpheus IIs for your gpus. side mount fans also yield big temp improvement versus front/top/back for gpus