[SOLVED] Subpar FPS on Good Hardware

bradyallen1212

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I have an Alienware Aurora R7, which has a GTX 1080, i7-8700k, and 16gb of RAM. While playing Cyberpunk, I only get about 35-40 on the lowest settings. I asked my friend how his pc was holding up, and he said he was getting 60+ on medium/high, even though he has a worse rig than mine. I have tried changing the allocated GPU and CPU GBs in a CSV file as recommended by many guides, but it hasn't helped at all. This also happens in some other games too, but I can run GTA V fine at high settings.

Solution
hi brady , their is nothing wrong with your set up , your problem is cyberpunk, i dont have the game but i have seen dozens of postings on here and other sites such as steam client.
The 2 main complaints seem to be cpu running flat out all the time and very low or sudden drops in fps.
I wouldn't say nothing wrong. The PSU is too weak for the GPU he's running. The 1080 requires a 550w, 30 amp PSU total system power minimum. That said, I don't know if that GPU came with the rig, or you upgraded to it, but rule 1 when upgrading a GPU is always make sure you're running enough power first.

As for the game, I have no such problems on same spec with much higher settings. Last night I spent a fair amount of time doing The Pickup...
I also have an 8700k, 1080 (EVGA SC), and 16GB RAM, and on the High preset, I get 55-60 FPS, though I've only played a mission or two of CP 2077.

Then again, I'm also playing the GOG version, which is known to have better performance. It's by no means making THAT much difference though.

A bit of details on you rig, is the case roomy and well ventilated? Have you been monitoring temps? How long have you had it, and have you ever cleaned the dust out if owned for more than 6 months? Lastly, what PSU did they put in that rig?

Software related questions include, do any other games or programs run poorly? Have you done any malware or SFC scans? What version of the game are you running, 1.04 is the latest as far as I know? Are you running any 3rd party software that might be conflicting?

bradyallen1212

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I also have an 8700k, 1080 (EVGA SC), and 16GB RAM, and on the High preset, I get 55-60 FPS, though I've only played a mission or two of CP 2077.

Then again, I'm also playing the GOG version, which is known to have better performance. It's by no means making THAT much difference though.

A bit of details on you rig, is the case roomy and well ventilated? Have you been monitoring temps? How long have you had it, and have you ever cleaned the dust out if owned for more than 6 months? Lastly, what PSU did they put in that rig?

Software related questions include, do any other games or programs run poorly? Have you done any malware or SFC scans? What version of the game are you running, 1.04 is the latest as far as I know? Are you running any 3rd party software that might be conflicting?

I completely dusted everything out the other day and reset the system. I think it has decent airflow, it's a prebuilt so I'm not 100% sure. I looked it up and I believe I have a 450w power supply. No malware or 3rd party software conflicts.

hi brady , their is nothing wrong with your set up , your problem is cyberpunk, i dont have the game but i have seen dozens of postings on here and other sites such as steam client.
The 2 main complaints seem to be cpu running flat out all the time and very low or sudden drops in fps.

I wouldn't say nothing wrong. The PSU is too weak for the GPU he's running. The 1080 requires a 550w, 30 amp PSU total system power minimum. That said, I don't know if that GPU came with the rig, or you upgraded to it, but rule 1 when upgrading a GPU is always make sure you're running enough power first.

As for the game, I have no such problems on same spec with much higher settings. Last night I spent a fair amount of time doing The Pickup mission, and a mission or two after, and the game ran as well as could be expected. In fact the only annoyance I had is the gamma is far too dark and cranking it up actually started making it darker after a certain point. I settled on 1.30, but still had to bump my display brightness from 50 to 65.

So yeah, there are some bugs for sure, and I expected better from CDPR, especially on things as basic as gamma settings, but performance wise, I've not seen much trouble yet.

OP, again, are you monitoring temps? Also, do you have a more powerful PSU you can use or borrow to test it with ample power for your GPU?

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
I have an Alienware Aurora R7, which has a GTX 1080, i7-8700k, and 16gb of RAM. While playing Cyberpunk, I only get about 35-40 on the lowest settings. I asked my friend how his pc was holding up, and he said he was getting 60+ on medium/high, even though he has a worse rig than mine. I have tried changing the allocated GPU and CPU GBs in a CSV file as recommended by many guides, but it hasn't helped at all. This also happens in some other games too, but I can run GTA V fine at high settings.
What resolution? Is it the same as your friends?