Question Sudden and Permanent Smart Plugs Disconnect

Mar 9, 2020
Hey guys,

With the amazing help of this forum a few months ago, I properly configured my WIFI which consists of my modem plugging into an old Linksys E2000 in the basement (WIFI disabled, mainly used for extra basement ports and to hook a switch into) which is hardwired to a 1st floor located ASUS RT-N66U that is set to be an access point for my WIFI connectivity. The E2000 is set to 192.168.1.1 and the ASUS is set to 192.168.1.2.

I've had numerous Amazon dots, echos, shows, firesticks, and smart plugs on the WIFI for years without any problems whatsoever. All of a sudden as of a few days ago, 4-5 of my smart plugs became unresponsive without any changes made by me to either router or any of the settings. All of these smart plugs are in different locations and are different brands including Amazon and TP-Link. I tried reconnecting the plugs to my 2.4ghz WIFI but kept getting errors. At first I thought it was a plug issue when I thought only the Amazon plugs went down so after receiving a replacement plug from Amazon, I tried setting it up from scratch and the new plug wouldn't connect to my WIFI. I ran a speed test at the location and was getting a very reasonable 80mbps down, 10 mbps UP so I don't think speed or range is the issue. I still have 2 smart plugs in different locations that are acting normal and working fine.

All of my dots, echos, shows, phones, iPads, and firesticks continue to work flawlessly but I did have my Sonos connect lose connectivity just like the plugs and I wasn't able to reconnect that wirelessly either, settling for a hardwired ethernet connection. I double checked both routers and no firmware was updated nor were any of the settings changed from when I first set everything up so I'm really lost on where to begin fixing this. A full unplugging reset of the modem + routers several times didn't fix anything nor did a comptuer restart for giggles. I also tried switching my ASUS security setting from WPA2 to WPA but that didn't resolve anything either so I switched it back. Lastly, I confirmed that the E2000's WIFI is still disabled.

Any advice or suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated. I will send over any settings information you need!

Cliffs: A couple different branded plugs disconnected out of nowhere and won't reconnect even though other plugs and wireless devices are connected fine. Nothing was changed on my routers, newly purchased plugs won't connect, and I'm unsure how to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Two routers: Which router is responsible for providing DHCP IP addresses?

I would expect that would be the Asus router with the old E2000's DHCP function disabled.

Are you to provide a simple network sketch showing the connectivity between devices and assigned (static) IP addresses?

Mar 9, 2020
Two routers: Which router is responsible for providing DHCP IP addresses?

I would expect that would be the Asus router with the old E2000's DHCP function disabled.

I can confirm that the E2000 has DHCP Server set to 'Enabled' and can't seem to find any DHCP settings listed within the ASUS' settings- perhaps this is due to it being in AP mode? I'm certainly a novice when it comes to this stuff but can't find any DHCP information anywhere within the ASUS settings.

Are you to provide a simple network sketch showing the connectivity between devices and assigned (static) IP addresses?

I'm not sure what this entails. But my setup basically goes:

Modem --> Linksys E2000 Router (WIFI disabled, only hardwired connections) < 5-port switch AND ASUS RT-N66U (All WIFI goes through this router)

Let me know what other info or any pictures of the settings you need me to provide and thanks for the response!

Ralston18

Titan
Is the ASUS AP using a static IP assigned within the Linksys E2000 router?

I would expect that it is set up to be 192.168.1.2 and reserved for the ASUS AP via the ASUS's MAC.

And that 192.168.1.2 IP address should be outside of the DHCP IP address range allowed to the Linksys E2000.

Physical connections:

Modem---Ethernet --->[WAN] Linksys E2000[LAN]--->Ethernet--->[LAN]ASUS AP]---Ethernet---> Switch.

With the ASUS AP providing wireless> Wireless devices and the Switch ---Ethernet---> Wired devices.

Mar 9, 2020
Is the ASUS AP using a static IP assigned within the Linksys E2000 router?

Here is a screenshot of the ASUS AP IP config:
tYx2Gg7.jpg

hUPjpON.jpg

Here is the Linksys E2000 (no WIFI):
vc5Cf8q.jpg

Modem---Ethernet --->[WAN] Linksys E2000[LAN]--->Ethernet--->[LAN]ASUS AP]---Ethernet---> Switch.

With the ASUS AP providing wireless> Wireless devices and the Switch ---Ethernet---> Wired devices.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I think my setup is a bit different than this.

My setup is:
Modem---Ethernet--->Linksys E2000
The Linksys E2000 then has one LAN port with an ethernet connection to a switch and another LAN port with an ethernet connection to the ASUS AP connected into a LAN port of the ASUS.

Let me know if this helps you in any way or if I didn't answer something properly!

Ralston18

Titan
Not seeing anything astray per se.

Are you able to see a list of connected devices (wired and wireless) via the E2000? What IP addresses are being used (static) or assigned (DHCP)?

Try swapping in known working ethernet cables: first between E2000 and switch. After that try swap in between switch and Asus AP.

My next thought would be to take all smart plugs out of service. Then focus on just getting one to work. Once accomplished, then go for #2 etc..

Mar 9, 2020
Are you able to see a list of connected devices (wired and wireless) via the E2000? What IP addresses are being used (static) or assigned (DHCP)?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the E2000 has no wireless functionality since the wireless is disabled and the only things plugged into it are devices like my BluRay player and AVR for the television which are working perfectly fine as well as an ethernet cord that connects to the ASUS AP upstairs. I'm not seeing a list of these LAN-connected devices anywhere in the E2000 settings.

Try swapping in known working ethernet cables: first between E2000 and switch.

Also just to clarify, the switch only has 2 devices plugged into it- my Sonos device once that failed to connect to WIFI and another device that I can't remember, both which are working fine now.

After that try swap in between switch and Asus AP.

There is no hardwired connection between the switch and the ASUS AP. The ASUS AP is connected directly into the E2000.

My next thought would be to take all smart plugs out of service. Then focus on just getting one to work. Once accomplished, then go for #2 etc..

I've messed around with trying to reset and run the initial set up on a few different plugs as well as trying to set up a brand new one that I just received while on the phone with an Amazon tech, all ending in the same result. They all won't connect to the ASUS 2.4ghz WIFI and give errors when trying to do so so they remain offline and unresponsive.

I really appreciate your help so far. I'm a bit discouraged there wasn't anything standing out within both router's settings since it seems like it's 100% a WIFI issue.

Mar 9, 2020
I ended up changing around my 2.4ghz wifi channel and trying to reset a few different smart plugs which I had success with and they're up and running again. I still have one plug giving me an error which almost makes me think it glitched out and affected some of the other plugs on the network as well.

I'm hoping they don't go down anytime soon but I appreciate all your help!

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

Just continue to keep notes and observe connectivity overall.

Especially if you are in a location where there could be interference by other nearby networks on the same frequency and channel.

Or other wireless devices such as baby monitors and so forth....

Mar 9, 2020
You are welcome.

Just continue to keep notes and observe connectivity overall.

Especially if you are in a location where there could be interference by other nearby networks on the same frequency and channel.

Or other wireless devices such as baby monitors and so forth....

False alarm, the plugs went back to being unresponsive after an hour or two :(

Mar 9, 2020
Now when I try to join the 2.4ghz network with my iPhone, it's telling me the password is incorrect even though I KNOW it is the correct one. The plot thickens...

Ralston18

Titan
On one of your computers type "arp -a" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

You should see a list of the various computers and devices that are on the network via 192.168.1.__

You probably will need to do that on a couple of computers a couple of times.

Again look for any devices you do not recognize.

As for the password - could be getting corrupted somewhere along the way: interference, buggy app....

Mar 9, 2020
Just wanted to follow up in here. I ended up taking the ASUS off of AP mode, turning on it's DHCP, turning off the Linksys DHCP, saving, and then reverting back everything to before those changes. I also changed the 2.4ghz password and all devices have been working fine for the 2nd day in a row.

I'm not sure what ultimately fixed it between all of that but hopefully it sticks.