Question Sudden Massive System Slow Down - Need help identifying the culprit

nooblet0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2019
System Info :
Laptop : Lenovo LOQ
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics, 3801 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
GPU : RTX 4060
Memory : 16 GB (8 x2)

Context :
System freezes up randomly after starting download of some file on steam.
Sometimes the cursor freezes too - while at other times I'm able to move the cursor but system is otherwise non-responsive.
As per task manager : Memory and CPU utilization was at around 50 and 10 percent respectively at the time of the freezes. Dedicated GPU was not in use.

Reliability monitor during the same period

Upon expanding the events in reliability monitor:

Attaching dump /logs as extracted from reliability monitor:
Dump Folder from Reliability Monitor

Upon restarting the system AMD Driver showed a prompt saying something to the effect of -"Setting reset due to unexpected system failure"
So I'm thinking something's wrong with the iGPU or the AMD Adrenaline software. This has happened twice now and both times was while downloading something off of steam.

Need help from the tech wizards on here to pin point what; if anything is going bad.

Lutfij

Titan
Check to see if your BIOS on your laptop is pending an update. Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If you can, I'd try and backup all mission critical data off of your laptop onto a removeable drive, in the event that you do end up having to reinstall your OS.

nooblet0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2019
Check to see if your BIOS on your laptop is pending an update. Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If you can, I'd try and backup all mission critical data off of your laptop onto a removeable drive, in the event that you do end up having to reinstall your OS.
Have the latest BIOS already.
Will re-install the drivers and see if that has any impact. But due to the infrequent nature of the issue, might be hard to tell if the drivers were at fault.
Was hoping someone could take a look at the dump files and help narrow down the faulty driver/component.

TRENDING THREADS