[SOLVED] Sudden PC death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2022
Hi, 2 days ago (25th February) I woke up and pressed on my pc power button before heading to get breakfast at around 9:30 (9:30am). Then when I was done with eating and came back to my room, I noticed that my PC wasn’t running. I pressed the power button again and nothing happened, no fan, no lights, nothing. Seems odd since everything worked perfectly fine the day before (24th February). I did turn off my PC before heading to bed around 23:00 (11pm) or so. I have no idea what happened to my computer, In my head I think it’s either the power supply or the mainboard. I don’t think it’s the mainboard though since I recently got it during Christmas.

This never happened before, and I have no idea what caused the problem either. I built this PC around a year ago with different components.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

My Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • GTX 1080Ti Founder Edition
  • Corsair Vengeance 8x2 3200Mhz
  • AORUS B450 PRO
  • NOCTUA NH-D15
  • Cooler Master V650 Gold V2
  • A M.2 Idk the name of
  • A random 2TB HDD (Seagate I think)
  • NZXT H510 Case

Solution
Could be a motherboard failure then.

If you got the motherboard/computer over Christmas there I would expect that there is still some warranty left.

Check everything again and then RMA the motherboard/computer as applicable.

Ralston18

Titan
Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, signs of browning or blackening, swollen components.

YOU can try removing power from PSU, dropping down to a single RAM stick, removing BIOS battery for a few minutes, reinsert battery, try again...

At some point, you might need a known good PSU of sufficient wattage.

(WARNING: If/when you swap PSUs, do NOT mix any modular cables between PSUs due to pinouts varying at PSU insertion points!)

Reactions: Ralston18
Feb 25, 2022
Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, signs of browning or blackening, swollen components.

I did all that immediately after I noticed that something’s wrong. And I cant boot up my pc at all, like absolutely nothing happened after the power button was pressed.

Feb 25, 2022
Have you had any storms in your location on the 24th or 25th? Any possibility of a power outage/surge in your location on those dates? While you were sleeping maybe?

I checked the weather history here where I live in and seems like nothing happened during the night. It was just cold and a-bit windy as usual.

Ralston18

Titan
Verify that there is indeed power up to the computer via the wall outlet, surge protectors, power strips, etc.. Look for a small breaker on any surge protectors (or power strips even) that may have tripped.

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-pro-wifi_1002_e_190528.pdf

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Any LED's at all glowing inside the motherboard? Reset button (physically numbered Page 19 in the User Manual)?

= = = =

Per @mdd1963 you should try to swap in a known working PSU.

Or, if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it then you can do some testing on the PSU:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Perhaps, if necessary you can find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

The test is not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU a likely suspect.

Feb 25, 2022
Verify that there is indeed power up to the computer via the wall outlet, surge protectors, power strips, etc.. Look for a small breaker on any surge protectors (or power strips even) that may have tripped.

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-pro-wifi_1002_e_190528.pdf

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Any LED's at all glowing inside the motherboard? Reset button (physically numbered Page 19 in the User Manual)?

= = = =

Per @mdd1963 you should try to swap in a known working PSU.

Or, if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it then you can do some testing on the PSU:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Perhaps, if necessary you can find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

The test is not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU a likely suspect.

I asked my parents to check but it seems like the powet outlet should be working as intended.

And I got this motherboard

- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-rev-10#kf

However there’s no lights at all on the motherboard. And I did borrow a working PSU from a friend but nothing still works.

Ralston18

Titan

If you got the motherboard/computer over Christmas there I would expect that there is still some warranty left.

Solution
Feb 25, 2022

Sorry for late reply, but I’ve sent the motherboard to the factory for a check up and the results shows that nothing was wrong with it. I’ve just got the motherboard back and still don’t know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.