Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
Hi, as of today I have installed sea of thieves on my pc, when playing it for the first time I was greeted by poor performance and artifacts being created on my screen.

Before I could figure out was was wrong my pc crashed and I had to restart it. After restarting everything seemed fine, I was greeted by the bios splash screen and was waiting for it to post, which seemed not to have happened or it was windows that had failed.

After multiple restart recovery and system recoveries I decided to give up and reinstall windows, I clicked the button and started my long wait. After a certain time my screen once again went black and I freaked out. I quickly restarted my pc after which I got told that the reinstall was unsuccessful (obviously). From this point on I have been trying to figure out what in God's name is wrong with my computer.

When I boot my pc now I get thrown in windows' safe boot prompt and when trying to recover to previous states all attempts seem to be futile which is now leaving me worried I interrupted the progress of reinstalling windows and have now <Mod Edit> up tremendously as now it doesn't know what to do, or where to get any data from.

I have thus far reseated the GPU and ram, have disconnected my HDD with my game libraries on it, all without success, which is leaving me thinking this is either something wrong with windows or that my SSD is dead. But I might be completely wrong as I'm still a novice in the tech world.

and have basically no clue what to do.
And all of this happened on my birthday too, go figure.

If anyone has any idea what I can do I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Okay after some talks with Microsoft I have been given a new install key for windows 10, after installing it everything seems to work fine, currently using the CPU graphics and finding a replacement for my old GPU.

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
i7 9700k
asus prime z390-p
cooled by a corsair h100i platinum rgb
corsair vengeance rgb pro ram (2x8-3200 mhz)
amd radeon sapphire r9 270x (4gb, still saving for newer one)
corsair rm 750 (2019)
crucial p1 1tb nvme ssd (boot drive)
toshiba p300 3tb 7200 rpm hdd

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
I tried the option: reset this pc, which is given when I go to troubleshoot section in winRE. This started what I believe is a fresh install of the OS but I'm not sure, when it got to a certain point which I don't know my screen went black again and I had to restart my pc.

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
It seems that while making a backup nothing happens, I select the drive of where to make the backup but nothing is actually written on it, I've tried methods found online but no joy.

If I get a fresh install of windows without backing up my data what should I expect to lose?

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
If I disconnect the drive where I save most of my data and run the fresh install without it connected, that should also help protect that right? The rest I don't necessarily care about as its just a bunch of programs I use for school, but the rest is almost 2.5 Tb of projects and games.

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
After waiting for a while the process reached 100%, at that point my screen went black again. Which is where I'm still at right now.

Just a radical thought, could it be that my GPU driver decided to crap itself which is causing these problems? Although I don't think that's actually it as that wouldn't allow me to even see the bios splash screen, I think at least.

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
I restarted my pc and the following message popped up: Windows install process interrupted, could not complete process......

I've let the installation go for a good two hours, which means that at that point I should've had like a prompt to select something, probably the language. But for some reason, there was no image, could it be that a certain part of my GPU died, which is making my GPU unable to receive tasks from the CPU?

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
I had an old pc laying around, I switched my gpu into that one which is still running windows 7, with this pc I also got the bios splash screen, and aftger that the four twirling lights which form the windows 7 logo, and after that my screen also went black.

Is it safe to say my GPU is just broken in some way?

I also seem to get a beep code, of which im still trying to find out what its meaning is.

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
While trying to figure out the beep code, which I believe was 5 short beeps (can't remember anymore and I can't seem to recreate it) it looks like there is a process failure, which is confirming my thought about the gpu being broken.

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
Okay after a bit more time spent it seems like I cancelled the windows installation at the wrong time, as I now get a pop-up that it needs to start over, but I can't get into winRE to restart it.

I think that by getting a new key from microsoft I can reinstall windows on my ssd and all of this should be over, as it seems my pc is now running fine with the integrated graphics of my cpu.

Thanks for all your help, I'll post here again to confirm everything works again.

Squidinator764

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
Okay after some talks with Microsoft I have been given a new install key for windows 10, after installing it everything seems to work fine, currently using the CPU graphics and finding a replacement for my old GPU.

Solution