[SOLVED] Sudden shutdown's after GPU upgrade

Jan 30, 2020
Hello,
New to the forum but wanted to ask just to see what your opinions are. PC sudden instant shutdown & restart after fitting new Graphics card (GTX 980 Afterburner)

I've got a custom built PC that I had built a few years ago, over the weekend I treated myself to an early birthday present and purchased an GTX 980 to replace my rather old and aging GTX 660 after encountering a few issued such as a blank screen upon start up (Updating the BIOS fixed this). I didn't think much of it.

After work one evening I fancied a bit of gaming, so I fired up Transport Fever 2 something that isn't exactly graphically challenging and after I'd say around 30/45 minutes of gaming my PC just had a complete and random shutdown & restart, I tested this theory 3 more times, twice on the same game doing the exact same and once when I was running FurMark as I was thinking the GPU might of been faulty.
On all 3 tests it preformed the same unexpected shutdown and restart which was making me think it could be a faulty GPU.

However reading more into it yesterday I came across another thread on here which could suggest that it could be a sign of my PSU failing, now that would make more sense as I would say my PSU is a good 6/7 years old and nothing fancy, just a generic 700w PSU I bought to replace an older 500w that went pop many years ago.

I do know that under the BIOS I should watch the 12v connection to see if there is any significant power drop which would mean the PSU is on it's way out. but rather then buying more when my current is good I was just curious on what others thought, if my suspicions are correct that it could be a sign of my PSU is going out.

I did tweak last night the power settings on the MSI Afterburner and testing various games seemed to of been happy (Using GPU-Z) I did tweak the temp limit too as well as the fan speeds to see if it was getting too hot, on first test the GTX 980 under heavy load was reaching 80c this I have now cut down to 65c by sticking the fans up.

If it is the PSU that is on it's way out am I correct to think I could just stick with another 700w since the average consumption for a GTX 980 is a 500w psu and only requires either a 700 or 800w when running the GTX 980 in series/pairs which I don't plan to.

Anyways please do let me know what you think,
Thanks for looking,
Duck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Including the age of the PSU as well as it's make and model. Generic PSU's aren't something that should even be remotely called a PSU.

Jan 30, 2020
We're going to need more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Including the age of the PSU as well as it's make and model. Generic PSU's aren't something that should even be remotely called a PSU.

Hello, should of stated at time of post my bad,

My specifications are as follows:

CPU Intel i5 3570K (3.40GHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77P-D3
RAM: 24GB
SSD/HDD x1 SSD OCZ 100 TEION 100 (256GB), x1 WD Blue 3TB
GPU: MSI GeForce 980 - Afterburner Edt
PSU: 700w CiT (Model No: 700ub) (Stamped date of manafacture March 2010)
Chassis: Custom Built

Any other info required to help me out please do let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Duck

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
PSU: 700w CIC (Model No: 700ub).

That's a problem. Replace that then we can troubleshoot further if necessary.

Yes that's where I was originally had my thourghts with but wanted a second opinion the PSU itself is has a markers mark of "March 2010" and personally it hasen't done me wrong for the past 10 years but I do think that it may be the route cause of the problems now..
Onto my next question to follow this up: based on the recommendations for the GTX 980 a 500w should be okay to power it, I have been looking at 750w's but if I were to replace with another 700w psu would this be a solution or another query to get to the route cause?