Question Suddenly multiple BSODS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Silver Volpe

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I've had a similar problem some months back. The computer would have BSOD's very frequently, and very randomly, where I've had none before, This went on for a couple of months, while I tried many different solutions. In the end, what seemed to work for me, is downloadeding the lastets BIOS update for my motherboard (ASRock Z87 Extreme 4).

My assumption is, one of the Windows 10 updates somehow didn't sit well with the outdated BIOS. Something to that effect. Have you tried updating your BIOS?

Feb 22, 2019
I've had a similar problem some months back. The computer would have BSOD's very frequently, and very randomly, where I've had none before, This went on for a couple of months, while I tried many different solutions. In the end, what seemed to work for me, is downloadeding the lastets BIOS update for my motherboard (ASRock Z87 Extreme 4).

My assumption is, one of the Windows 10 updates somehow didn't sit well with the outdated BIOS. Something to that effect. Have you tried updating your BIOS?
"Unfortunately" yes, I have the latest bios that is found in the downloads section of the motherboards vendor.. Thanks for the suggestion tho..

Darkbreeze

Titan
Let's see what happens with the new memory. If it weren't for the fact that you're seeing errors in Memtest86 I'd say it's likely you simply need to do a CLEAN INSTALL but obviously what happens outside Windows is pretty much all hardware and firmware and what happens IN Windows, once it has loaded, is a separate beast altogether.

Feb 22, 2019
Let's see what happens with the new memory. If it weren't for the fact that you're seeing errors in Memtest86 I'd say it's likely you simply need to do a CLEAN INSTALL but obviously what happens outside Windows is pretty much all hardware and firmware and what happens IN Windows, once it has loaded, is a separate beast altogether.
Yes idd..

Although, this is what's happening now.. (have only 2 sticks, 8gb of memory installed)
For example

-Minecraft with high memory usage runs fine..
-Rainbow six Siege, BSOD after 5 seconds in menu (when trying with all 4 sticks of memory it runs for a minute or so, and then bsod's)
-Overwatch, BSOD when starting a match
-Fortnite, after readying, when it comes to loading screen BSOD (with all 4 sticks can start a game, but bsod's after X minutes)
-CS: GO runs fine
-The Crew runs fine
-Can watch movies, use discord, youtube, in chrome and firefox just fine

edit: nvm, after another (4th) test for unknown both overwatch and RS Siege started and work fine now..

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
Actually I've had the 399.24 (i think) for a week now, but installed the latest ones today (some previous drivers were causing some non related issues)
Haven't done a clean install tho..

Darkbreeze

Titan
Try the clean install. It doesn't ALWAYS cure every problem, not even close, but it DOES cure a LOT of them, a LOT of the time.

Especially when the problems come on out of the blue or after a major update.

Feb 22, 2019
Hey there, so an update.. Finally got a new PSU, (thanks to @Darkbreeze for recommendations, gf almost killed me), I've got a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w. Simultaneously I've reseated the CPU and put some new thermal compound on.. Temps are alot better now tho..

Unfortunately, memtest still showing errors with all four sticks, didn't test with less yet, but I guess next on the to-buy list is a pair of matched memory sticks..

edit:
Tried to put together an old comp, using the PSU I removed from the "new" comp.. In fact, I have 3 LGA775 motherboards, 2 q6600's, a e7400, and a gtx760..
(all hardware presumably works)

So first when attaching everything outside the case, it turned on, although, no post screen, no beep.. Monitor says no signal..
Triied with another mobo and cpu, it posted fine.. So I put the components in the case.. Tried a couple more times mid-build, it did post. After finishing and cleaning up everything, tried to power up.. Again blank screen (no signal). It does however post after turning it off/on again X amount of times..

Might be that it's the PSU anyways?
Confused by the result of memtest, but despite that, the "new" comp with the new PSU hasn't produced a BSOD so far..

edit#2:
regarding the old comp - all memory sticks are busted.. tried with a spare hynix stick and it posts / boots fine..

Last edited:

Darkbreeze

Titan
That's good news. I'd definitely recommend a matched set of sticks. Sometimes the differences between memory kits can be overcome. Sometimes they simply cannot. Now that you have a new PSU, I might try again resetting the BIOS to default settings with all sticks installed, and then test. If still fail, try upping the DRAM voltage by .005-.020v and test again, same procedure as before but with good clean power delivery, hopefully, this time.

ASK THE COMMUNITY