Question Suggest a good UPS

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I'm thinking of buying APC BX1100C-IN for my PC. Is this UPS good enough for my PC? Which one do you suggest? I have no idea whether 1.1kVA is sufficient enough for the system on battery, or for how much time will this be able to provide power to system. I have Seasonic s12ii 520 PSU.

kanewolf

Titan
You need to get a measurement (best) or estimate (OK) of the power used by your equipment. If you have to estimate, you can use one of the online power supply calculators.
Once you have a measurement or estimate of your usage, you can use a table like this -- https://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=29&ISOCountryCode=in to estimate the runtime a UPS will provide.

The UPS you linked to is OK. It doesn't have a USB port which can allow the UPS to signal the PC to shutdown before the battery runs out.

Ralston18

Titan
Use APC's selector.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/tools/ups_selector/

What is your budget?

Generally, if all you are looking for is a few minutes operating time to permit a graceful shutdown of the PC you may be able "select" down and save some costs.

Especially if you do not need or care for any extra "bells and whistles".

Read the User Guides for the UPS (s) you are interested in.

And do consider one that can be wall mounted. Much nicer if the UPS can be up and off of the floor via wall mounting on desk, wall, or other vertical surface.

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
So there are UPS which signals PC to shutdown... sounds like a good feature to have. @kanewolf this is my sys config here which says the TDS is quite low for the s12ii 520W, but I'm assuming I'm actually drawing 500W on an average, including monitor. Can you suggest a good UPS which has the shutdown signal feature?

@ralston I haven't decided on a budget yet, as I don't know what is the price range of UPS are and what should features should I expect on a certain price point.

All the technical information that I have read with respect to Active PFC power supplies state that a Pure Sine Wave UPS is required.

I have not attempted to operate outside of those recommendations, because I run some pretty expensive power supplies, and am not in the mood to potentially destroy them.