Suggestions for $2900 Gaming Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Agreed but seeing how that 3770K will most likely stomp the 3820 when both are over clocked I still have hope.

The benches I want to see the most are: Z77 board + Ivy Bridge + new generation vid card = PCI-E 3.0

Kazie

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Thanks for the reply!!

Well a couple of questions....

Really cant understand this part ... "go with i7 3930K for the awesomeness of it"
What awesomeness are you exactly talking about??

I'll tell you where I'm coming from... From most reviews that I have come across.... It doesnt really seem to add too many frames in a gaming scenario over a i7 2600k... Does it?? Especially when that extra dough can be invested in more ssd, or SLI/CrossfireX.

One more thing is the prices on the latest computer hardware are pretty steep in this part of the world.. We dont have newegg or the likes really.
For example an MSI R6970 Lightning TFIII is still around $475 and an Asus Rampage IV Extreme is around $645.

And the plus side is with LGA 1155 he can even go for a high end ROG board with a lot less dough.

Just thinking aloud here, whats your take??
Also is there any noticeable improvement (purely from a gaming performance) by using a LGA 2011 SB-E over a LGA 1155 SB?

Kazie

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Ok!! I like most of the stuff there... and was already on my recommendation list, except for the case(availability problems)

Two concerns....
1. I dont think any kind of task will require more than 16GB of RAM in this day an age. Maybe..... in a couple of years... but wouldnt it be wiser to wait and upgrade to Windows 8 once it comes out and all reviews are in?? I dont think upgrading to Windows 7 pro just for adding RAM is a wise investment
2. How much difference is there between a Full HD TV and a monitor while gaming. Beacuse I have a Viewsonic 22" monitor as well, but only use it for surfing and playing FM2012. But I have played games like FIFA 2012 and Skyrim both on my HDTV and monitor, and cant really make out any notable lag or difference between the two(with Game Mode switched ON on my TV) in fact the large screen makes it look more awesome!!!

Your views please!!

What he's saying is why buy something that's going to be yesterday's technology in a months time. PCI-E 3.0...SB doesn't support that. If your going to spend your money on new hardware than get the latest and greatest....hence the benchmarks that were posted on here. Skip the old generation vid cards and Sandy Bridge. That's for peeps who did builds last month.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Te ram you need for gaming wont exceed more than 6 gb.

Also i said if you want to add more ram. it was nit a suggestion.

also u are right upgrade later to win 8

fortv part if you have games like mw3 or bf3 then u will notice lag.

I played bf bc2 on my 40" lcd last yr and it was laggy.

As you have game mode it provide gameplay by some process.

I would recommend to wait for ive bridge and buy a mobo which is having nf300 chip and get 1 gtx 680 and that will be more than for your case.

Also a i7 3770"or the i5 3xxxk equivalent to i5 2500k will be the best choice.

For the