Suggestions for Backup System?

G

Hi,

I've decided to rule out RAID as a backup device for my hard drive. I want to get an IBM Deskstar DTLA 75GXP and do an automatic mirror back up about once per week. I was wondering what configuration and automatic backup utility you all would suggest.

I guess I want a cheaper HD (removable or otherwise) that will reliably back up data automatically with the right backup utility. I want a complete copy of the other drive, boot sectors and all.

|_ /\ |) `/ |-| /\ \/\/ |<

Why is there braille on drive-through ATMs?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ladyhawk on 11/26/00 09:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

If you want to be able to restore your harddrive fully, perhaps you could use Ghost Plus Pro (Binary Research Ltd, Symantec).
I used this, and you can restore all backed-up data on a formatted hard drive, reboot, and everything is back the way it was! Perfect! and it only takes 10 minutes. It is very helpful if your system refuses to boot after Windows has been messing up the settings again.

I am using RAID, and this program will not work with that, it only works on 'normal' drives.

I have version 5.0d and it is only 500 kilobytes! it works under DOS (great!).

If you have any other alternatives, please let me know, i am looking for something similar that supports RAID disks.

G

I too use and recommend ghost, nothing beats a byte for byte copy of your data, although you can't do the autmatic backup part, you can run ghost once a week/month whatever and back up the ghost to your second HD. Just make sure to run ghost from a clean boot from a boot disk, this way your HD isn't loading any driver's etc that could mess up the ghost image.