Super-Cooled Quantum Computing Is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

LIKE A GLOVE!
I WANT TO SEE THAT THING PWN SOME GAMES >< I KNOW A LITTEL OVER BOARD BUT I CANT DREAM CANT I?

robertking82881

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
dam you beat me to 1st post ?> o wait that was me i just was to fast about posting i did not sigh in o well i cant prove it now but i know it was me >< LIKE A GLOVE

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I still wish someone would explain exactly how quantum mechanics and quantum computers work. Do they actually defy the laws of physics or what? I didn't think that was possible.....

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Very cool, i'd also like to see that pwn some games. However judging by what they say, it'll be very difficult to do if it's even possible.

BTW what does it matter who got first post anyway? lol

G

Quantum computers process information with the "electron pairing" effect they naturally operate with, meaning it operates in such a way when one of the 28 bits is "doing something", it affects other parts of the chip in such a way they "do the same thing" naturally...it has very deep implications because it would basically SCALE LIKE CRAZY....NATURALLY....we are still in its infancy w/ 28 QBits, i dont even immagine what is will be like with 512...1024....a Giga QBit.....a Tera Q Bit.... they would all scale naturally... whatever we an do now whit it will be done faster and better when wider versions of the chip come out, withought the need to re-coding i immagine (Totally different from the way we program now with the current multi-core chips needing special programming to take advantage of more resources).- my 2 centz.

G

Quantum computers process information with the "electron pairing" effect they naturally operate with, meaning it operates in such a way when one of the 28 bits is "doing something", it affects other parts of the chip in such a way they "do the same thing" naturally...it has very deep implications because it would basically SCALE LIKE CRAZY....NATURALLY....we are still in its infancy w/ 28 QBits, i dont even immagine what is will be like with 512...1024....a Giga QBit.....a Tera Q Bit.... they would all scale naturally... whatever we an do now whit it will be done faster and better when wider versions of the chip come out, withought the need to re-coding i immagine (Totally different from the way we program now with the current multi-core chips needing special programming to take advantage of more resources).- my 2 centz.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
basically, a quantum computer does not have to do "work" to get an answer. The "work" it does involves electrons and atoms. The problem is, is that when the "computer" reads the atoms/electrons, they are destroyed. So, the data can only be read once. But as mentioned in the article, code cracking would be very easy, as the computer would only have to work with one atom. Basically, the future quantum computer will be able to crack any code, instantly.

J-Rad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
"I still wish someone would explain exactly how quantum mechanics and quantum computers work. Do they actually defy the laws of physics or what? I didn't think that was possible....."

Quantum Physics are laws that are far more complex than regular everyday Physics. They do not defy but rather redefine and enhance our understanding of physics at a much smaller scale (Smaller than atom size)

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Games aren't really an area that would benefit directly from Quantum computing. The benefit is for other fields, like mathematics, communication, cracking encryption, physics. Quantum does not mean faster, it means they operate in a fundamentally different way and have different applications. Just like the stack of IBM QS22 Cell Blades next to me (Which don't even have video cards), they are for a totally different purpose and in some cases even if they could run a normal game might even be slower. High-Performance-Computing is a very different field, and it has to be specifically programmed for, which is why the article mentions they are advancing the new SDKs to allow things to run.

My computers don't even have a real "OS", they have micro kernels which only have one program installed, and that program is specifically crafted to fit inside the 256KB of L2 Cache on the IBM Cell Processor to prevent the system having to page regular, slow, system RAM.

The stuff is written in C, and then hand-tuned in assembler.

That does not mean the development is not exciting, its just that like most major science changes, the action is far from the end user and it will take products a while to trickle down to something we use everyday. Ironically, by the time it gets to us, most people will have no idea which technologies brought them to fruition in the first place.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jeb1517[/nom]I wonder how fast an E8500 could run at -270ºC.[/citation]

You might have a good idea when the OC competition ensues. I'm sure you'll have some guys throwing -200C nitrogen at 8500's.

wingless

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Intel will buy them in after they make all that profit from Nehalem and release quantum computers for commercial use as soon as they figure out how to make a "safe", commercially viable, 3 Kelvin refrigeration units. Coolermaster will then release a 2 Kelvin unit for overclockers 3 months later...

Unfortunately it will NOT be able to play Crysis at 60FPS.

arunmohancr

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Reaching temperature as mentioned above would lead to super conductivity . Which people are yet to incorporate in daily usage . This is no area for child's play (games)

G

maybe the crysis problem wont be solved but i bet that i will finaly see
duke nukem 3d run at 954,555 fps!! that is, my friends, is what they call... THE S#$%!

G

Actually, Quantum physics is, at present, a completely seperated set of physics from classical newtonian physics. This is one of the things many current physicist are engaged in resolving, that is, the marriage of the two into a single unified theory of physics.

The power of a Quantum computer (in theory) lies in the ability for quibits to be both "off" and "on" at the same time (think schoedinger's cat) Modern computing logic relies on setting and reading the state of switches, using many combinations of off and on accross many a huge number of switches. Quantum computing seeks to leverage the ability of a quibit to exist in both states at the same time, thus if programmed correctly (as stated, a major hurdle) it would contain the logic to solve a problem innately, since it possesses all possible combinations/configurations of "off" and "on" simulatneously. Which is also why it happens to be particularly good at solving pattern problems. Math problems(especially the ones mentioned), are NOT a strong suit of quantum computers, in fact, quantum computers work only on probabalistic algorithms(as in 'Guess and Check' type situations). Tard

I'm sure most other groups working on Quantum computing don't really regard this as true Quantum computing, since it really isn't using the state of the particles to represent logic, though it's hard to tell with so few details.

Status
Not open for further replies.