Super-Size Me: Gigabyte's G1.Assassin In An XL-ATX Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Kinda tacky with that "Ammo clip" heatsink, but it'll go nice with the Gkill's Sniper Series though.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
That bottom PCI-e x16 slot is like an appendix on this board. There aren't enough lanes for it to be of any use. However, the amount of motherboards with proper configuration for the use of all 4 is a small pool.
The thing I like about this board is no Realtek. There is a more sophisticated network adapter and a better sound chip. I don't like Sound Blaster, but I like them more then Realtek.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I wonder what games out there will benefit from so much shock and awe bar the forever held up Crysis. Perhaps for those apps that can data crunch on the GPU this will be worthwhile.

wrxchris

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
"After demonstrating P67's ability to keep up with X58 in single-, dual-, and triple-card configurations (with the help of Nvidia's NF200 switch), we're pretty much "over" the idea of paying a premium for X58-based platforms."

You guys still haven't proven that the limited bandwidth of a single PCI-e lane doesn't create a bottleneck in a multi-screen environment. The few benchmarks I've ever seen that address this showed a significant difference in FPS (approx. 15%) @ 5760x1200 between x16/x16 and x8/x8 setups.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]wrxchris[/nom]"After demonstrating P67's ability to keep up with X58 in single-, dual-, and triple-card configurations (with the help of Nvidia's NF200 switch), we're pretty much "over" the idea of paying a premium for X58-based platforms."You guys still haven't proven that the limited bandwidth of a single PCI-e lane doesn't create a bottleneck in a multi-screen environment. The few benchmarks I've ever seen that address this showed a significant difference in FPS (approx. 15%) @ 5760x1200 between x16/x16 and x8/x8 setups.[/citation]Tom's Harware does it's best to provide valid configurations for its test, unlike some other sites that gimp their systems to "prove" something else. Having said that, if you really want to see 5760x1200 you will. Just send the monitors and I'll get started right away!

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
i would rather not think of the heat produced in that 4 xfire setup. I can already feel the heat of xfire 6870 in a 600t case after a gaming session of only an hour with all fans at max.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Is it me or this case really does not have enough openings for all the expansion slots on the motherboard? Look for yourself pic#2 - there is no opening if you were to install a video card in the bottom green slot. The next one up (black one) also looks like it's not lining up with any card opening either.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Do you guys have folks proof read? Almost every news thread I see on here has some spelling mistakes, no big deal but they are worth a mention.

"Three 3 GB sticks of the stuff results in a a total 12 GB" perhaps a refresh in math will do.

On the other hand, its a nice board, but with Sandy Bridge, Intel can no longer justify those money amounts people spend on x58

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
And one more thing... On Monday morning, I expect to see a full-fledged review on an interesting technical topic. NOT a cheesy slide show that takes 15 minutes to put together. After watching all these Ads and incredibly pesky flash-based pop-outs, I think we deserve that much. Thanks!

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]LDPE[/nom]Kinda tacky with that "Ammo clip" heatsink, but it'll go nice with the Gkill's Sniper Series though.[/citation]

For the love of GOD, MAN!!! That's a magazine, NOT A CLIP. A clip is for something like the SKS or the M1 Garand.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hard core gamers out their will love this stacked with 4 graphics cards to show off at the local LAN party. Imagine the electricity bills tho... 600-700 watts at the wall? 4-5 hours gaming sessions each night?

red1776

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Personally, I've never seen the point of 4 video cards... That seems like total overkill to me. Still, nice looking board.

Not if you are running multi screen resolutions.

That bottom PCI-e x16 slot is like an appendix on this board. There aren't enough lanes for it to be of any use.

That is a common misconception. You might do some reading on PCIE scaling (it can be found right here at TOM's.) I have proof of this sitting on my desk, and have built them for customers as well. The 4th slot on my Asus C4F is an x4, occupied by a 4th Asus EAH DirectCu 5850,(before you say it, I use a PCIE riser pass-thru) and it adds frames nicely to shader heavy games running at 5760 x 1080.

Have a look at the scaling down to a single lane here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html

From Tom's
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,review-31964-4.html

Far from an "appendix" :)
http://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p4288-metro-203340-5760x1080-very-high.html

http://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p4287-metro-203340-5760x1080-very-high.html

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]i would rather not think of the heat produced in that 4 xfire setup. I can already feel the heat of xfire 6870 in a 600t case after a gaming session of only an hour with all fans at max.[/citation]

Thanks, hope you get the 3 monitors soon because in reality, anybody willing to shell out for this and 4 graphics cards is probably not going to have an issue with getting 3 screens - what else would you need this kind of firepower for.

G

This is the best mainboard for use with BOINC and distributed computing. With four Nvidia cards and using CUDA based projects, that motherboard combo really turn out the work units and would outperform any CPU stuck in the socket by a wide margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS