Super Talent 2 TB SSDs Coming Next Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davekozy

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
That doesn't make sense really. You could put 8 128GB SSD's together in RAID 0 on a hardware RAID card for about $2000 less and get the same performance. I guess the single card looks better and is easier to setup.

Why can't you boot from it? Is there a way to also have a SATA connection or USB hookup on the card for booting and once in OS the PCIE slot takes over?

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I am a "Gamer". And I can you tell you right now that I would prefer to spend the $5000 on 2 or 3 complete gaming rigs (hooked up for LAN gaming) than spend it on a 1tb SSD.

[citation][nom]blackpanther26[/nom]5 grand for 1TB no thank you. I'll keep my 300GB raptor drive. Maybe just a 30GB SSD for the OS till the price on SSD's comes down.[/citation]
was thinking the same thing.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This drive is pretty much fusion-io's drive lineup. I'd still rather have the LSI Logic 6GB/s RAID cards with individual drives, more capacity by far or 3x the performance using SSD's.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Individual 500GB SSDs, and larger, are not far away, but I know from one manufacturer
that indeed keeping the costs down is a big problem.

I agree though that the named target market of $5K for a product like this seems
a bit odd. For gaming, I'd have thought most would prefer to spend spare dosh on
better gfx, better CPU, water cooling, etc. Wierd...

Ian.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
I wonder if there would be a way to have a SATA connector on the back of the drive, solely for the purpose of booting.

Once booted the PCIe takes over for all transfer activity.

Also drop the price to something approaching reality, the last time I checked $5000 for a hard drive means the only people who could afford them are movie, rock and sports stars. Maybe Warren Buffet, Bill Gates if he wasn't busy saving the world or Ingvar Kamprad if he wasn't making crap furniture.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
A 2TB SSD is not going to make or break any gaming situation compared to a 2TB SATA 2 drive. This company is headed for epic failure.

G

An SSD card generally only makes sense for games with large and many textures files and for an OS.
There's not a single game out there that will benefit more than 1fps from this card then say an intel SLC SSD.

Perhaps it's because it's some sort of prototype that it's that expensive.

Even then I would not call it a 'gaming' card. It's more like a server card, destined to load data extremely fast, on a system with 10 Gigabit LAN cards or so...

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
for $5000 I'd rather buy a 8 core server w\ 2+tb worth of 15k sas drives raided w\ a few spares !

Does the manufacturing really cost so much? or are they pricing to cover research and development?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Good Lord!I'd love to get my hands on a 2 TB model, but sadly, even the 1 TB model is beyond my reach. But even worse is I know of a large group of people nearby who wouldn't think twice of "Asking Daddy" for the money to buy one of these SSD drives. A nearby college where rich people from all over the world send their kids. These kids don't think twice about throwing expensive stuff out when simple things go wrong instead of getting them fixed. Or when they leave for summer vacation, they just give stuff away and buy new stuff when they get back.Not all are like this, but enough of them are.[/citation]
Where did you say you were from? I need to make friends with these poeple and get their old gear :p would save a bundle, just give them advice on what to get and make sure it "breaks" a few months in :)

JohnnyMash

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Sequential read speeds of up to 1.4 GB/sec and sequential write speeds up to 1.2 GB/sec = $5 Big Ones. No, it doesn't. I will wait until that is priced reasonably and sanely.

That is some sweet hardware but WAAAAY too expensive.
Give it time folks...

Someday we will have these super fast drives in our PCIe slots!

I remember when I first heard about 1 and 2 GB hard drives I thought that was amazingly huge! Now I have over 700X that much in my PC. And 1 GB of RAM is barely enough for anything while a 2GB hard drive is worthless.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Good Lord!I'd love to get my hands on a 2 TB model, but sadly, even the 1 TB model is beyond my reach. But even worse is I know of a large group of people nearby who wouldn't think twice of "Asking Daddy" for the money to buy one of these SSD drives. A nearby college where rich people from all over the world send their kids. These kids don't think twice about throwing expensive stuff out when simple things go wrong instead of getting them fixed. Or when they leave for summer vacation, they just give stuff away and buy new stuff when they get back.Not all are like this, but enough of them are.[/citation]

You should befriend these people.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll be ordering one for my MacPro primarily for uncompressed 1080 24p HD transfer which require 250 MB sustained as a minimum (direct recording from BlackMagic designs capture card via HDMI input) -- in real world the device usually needs to be rated 2X that, so this unit will work perfectly. Firewire 800 nor eSATA hacks it.

Oh wait all these third party hardware options I have in my Mac, that's right all you PC fanboys say I can't use anything other than Mac components... haha ... the uniformed fanboys.

Cinema 4D loves SSD, and this PCIe solution is PERFECT!

Yeah, a good article from Tom's at last.

Status
Not open for further replies.