Superuser ?

I went to install some software today and it popped up a request/
warning "this software may need to be installed as Administrator
to work properly". It displayed a "login" box which allowed me to
log in as Administrator. OK... all done.

Here's my question: Is this an win2k I could "superuser" sort of
capability ? Is there some way I could invoke this capability
"on the fly" to become an admin when needed without logoff/logon
as administrator ?

Thanks for any insight,

I sure hope you were not dupped into giving up admin
credentials . . .
Ususally software will just say, sorry, try again when you
have logged in as an admin, and if it used runas in a direct
way then you would have gotten a prompt from runas for
the password (so, if you try runas and that is not what it
looked like . . . )

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
"Retro Bob" <nothinghere@all.com> wrote in message
>I went to install some software today and it popped up a request/
> warning "this software may need to be installed as Administrator
> to work properly". It displayed a "login" box which allowed me to
> log in as Administrator. OK... all done.
>
> Here's my question: Is this an win2k I could "superuser" sort of
> capability ? Is there some way I could invoke this capability
> "on the fly" to become an admin when needed without logoff/logon
> as administrator ?
>
> Thanks for any insight,

Hi,

If you need to run some program with administrator privileges, you can hold
down shift key and right click on the program. You should be able to see
"Run As" option. Click on it and enter your username and password.

Command line option of this would be:

runas /user:administrator cmd.exe

(replace user administrator with your administrator account if your renamed
it).

http://freeweb.siol.net/mpihler/runas.jpg
http://freeweb.siol.net/mpihler/runas1.jpg

Mike

"Retro Bob" <nothinghere@all.com> wrote in message
>I went to install some software today and it popped up a request/
> warning "this software may need to be installed as Administrator
> to work properly". It displayed a "login" box which allowed me to
> log in as Administrator. OK... all done.
>
> Here's my question: Is this an win2k I could "superuser" sort of
> capability ? Is there some way I could invoke this capability
> "on the fly" to become an admin when needed without logoff/logon
> as administrator ?
>
> Thanks for any insight,

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:17:05 +0100, "Miha Pihler"
<mihap-news@atlantis.si> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>If you need to run some program with administrator privileges, you can hold
>down shift key and right click on the program. You should be able to see
>"Run As" option. Click on it and enter your username and password.
>
>Command line option of this would be:
>
>runas /user:administrator cmd.exe
>
>(replace user administrator with your administrator account if your renamed
>it).
>
>http://freeweb.siol.net/mpihler/runas.jpg
>http://freeweb.siol.net/mpihler/runas1.jpg
>
>Mike
>
>"Retro Bob" <nothinghere@all.com> wrote in message
>>I went to install some software today and it popped up a request/
>> warning "this software may need to be installed as Administrator
>> to work properly". It displayed a "login" box which allowed me to
>> log in as Administrator. OK... all done.
>>
>> Here's my question: Is this an win2k I could "superuser" sort of
>> capability ? Is there some way I could invoke this capability
>> "on the fly" to become an admin when needed without logoff/logon
>> as administrator ?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight,

Thanks,