Supposed to be ata 66, only reads udma 33

Rebuilt

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
Just finished putting this one together, made sure to use 80 wire connector. Bios is udma enabled, I'm using two 20 gig 7200 rpm HD's, master is on the end of the cable, slave in the middle.Each HD is jumper directed. One m, one s, Chipset supports ata 66, but both HD's only show up as 33 in opening bios screen. checked on HD's, both are ata 100 rated. What should I be looking for now?? Is it because both drives share the ide 0 controller? 2 HD's are on ide 0, 2 opticals are on ide 1. All drives show up on bios screen, in the right order. The unit runs ok, but it kinda bothers me that it's only showing udma 33. Ideas? Feedback? Screwups on my part? Maybe a bad 80 wire cable? The board came with a single connector 80 wire cable, so I scrounged in my junk box and found a dual connector 80 wire.No Idea what it came off. I'm willing to put the 2nd HD on it's own controller if I have to, and let the opticals share ide 1.If that's needed, what's a good, cheap controller to use?

A man is just about as happy as he makes up his mind to be. Abe Lincoln<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rebuilt on 01/08/03 04:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm strange. Are there any bios options to choose UDMA speed? Or really make sure you have an 80wire cable LOL

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Rebuilt

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
That's kinda what I was thinking, gonna open it up again and play around with some other cables I have. I might even get me a new 80 wire, just in case the one I'm using is defective. If one of the 40 grounds was broke, maybe this would explain why it's only reading 33. Oh, I intentionally used two hd's of the same size and speed, just in case I wanted to go raid later. Contemplating raid 0. I've got these 2 partitioned off into 4 separate drives. 1st on master is 25%, for OS and related programs. rest of master is 75%. Slave is setup for virtual memory on outside of drive 3, used Norton's speed disk, what a cool tool. Drive 4 is for games and kids stuff.Question is,If I go raid 0, will I still be able to use my partition scheme, and secondly, with raid 0, will I still be able to put my virtual memory on the outside of partition 1, disc 2. Thanks in advance.

A man is just about as happy as he makes up his mind to be. Abe Lincoln

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its possible that the cable is broken yes... the 80wire ones are known to be more touchy and damage sensitive than the 40wire ones.

And yes you can have partitions on your raid array, but to get it setup you are going to have to format both from scratch then build your array.
Also dont forget the risks associated with a raid0.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>