SW Single Processor Mode Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hello,

I recently upgraded my dads processor, here are the specs (OEM eMachines)

Pentium 4 631 ---------> Upgraded to Pentium D 950
Intel D102GGC2 Motherboard
1 x 2 GB Ram (667 MHz)
300W stock PSU
IDE 160 GB 7200 rpm

Here is my problem, the CPU is running and the drivers are installed and everything is fine except for the fact that the OS only boots with SW Single Processor Mode enabled. When I disabled it, unlocking the CPU to it's full potential, the OS doesn't boot and I can't even boot in Safe Mode.

I initially though that the problem was lack of power, so I installed a 485W PSU out of my mother's computer. Hoping it would resolve the issue and lead me to get a better PSU, it did not solve the problem.

I need help, is there something else that needs to be done when upgrading from single core to a dual core??

G

teleaddicted...the CPU is good it goes between that and the rated 3400 MHz. Processor runs great.

13thmonkey, thanks for helping me through the troubleshoot process. I literally attempted everything on every OS possible. I luckily was shipped a 2nd CPU because it was lost in the mail for a while. The 2nd CPU ended up working while the 1st one must have a bad core or something.

:) My dad is pleased with the performance and I can finally rest my mind because there was no way I was going to go back after so much invested time lol.