dag746

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I have a 3070ti and a gigabyte z490 vision g. I am trying to upgrade from a 10300 to an 11700k. When I switch them I get no display and none of my peripherals will display. Also the red light for the cpu is on the motherboard. I tried taking out the gpu and plugging the display into the motherboard, that did not work. When I took the 11700k out it was extremely hot. I plugged back in the 10300k and the pc booted fine.

I also took out the cmos battery and tried that to no avail.
Anyone smarter than me have any idea what I’m missing or if the cpu is just bad?

dag746

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I have loaded up and now it brings me to my bios and I cannot select a boot drive
Update: I updated my bios using my laptop to download it. The pc boots and I am able to get into my bios with the 11700k. All of my drives show that they are identified but none will show up for my boot sequence. What should I do?

dag746

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I recently switched my i3-10300 with an 17-11700k . I have a z490 vision G motherboard. The computer would not display so I had to update my bios. After the first switch before putting back in the 10300 I noticed I have no bootable devices. I now have in the 11700k and still have no bootable devices. I checked all of my connections and they were fine. The devices still show up in the bios correctly but not for booting. What should I do to fix this?

also I took out my graphics card to do this I don’t know if that matters.
Thank you

dag746

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Corsair vengeance 32gb ram
Gigabyte vision g z490
Ftw 3070 ti (not plugged in)
I7 - 11700k
1tb nvme drive (I think this was my boot drive)
250gb WD blue ssd
500 gb WD blue ssd
250 gb Samsung ssd

dag746

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Update: I have made a boot drive but it will not show up under my boot devices. I am out of options as to what I could be missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nov 21, 2022
Two Things:
  1. If You Have Same Mobo, but Different CPUs, Clear CMOS.
  2. Check for Bent Pins on Mobo. Intel CPU Doesn't Have Pins, So Mobo Will.

3) Also, If You Have Intel, You Should Be Able to Boot Using On-Board Video Connection, Yes?

Lastly, I Know This May Sound Stupid, but Make Sure Your CPU Fan is Connected to CPU Fan Plug on Mobo, and Not Case Fan Plug.

It Sounds Like Your Computer Is in Panic Mode, because of CPU Issue. Bent Pins, CMOS, or Mobo isn't Registering CPU Fan.

I Don't Think It's a Hard Drive Issue, but Computer Isn't Giving You Boot Options, Because Mobo Is Having Panic Attack With CPU.

~Dark

Update: I have made a boot drive but it will not show up under my boot devices. I am out of options as to what I could be missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If windows was installed in UEFI mode, then
you may need to enable UEFI mode after BIOS reset,​
set first boot device to windows boot manager,​
make sure sata controller is set to AHCI (not Intel RST).​
If windows was installed in legacy mode, then
enable CSM after BIOS reset,​
make sure sata controller is set to AHCI (not Intel RST).​
If still no luck, then boot from windows install media into command prompt mode,
execute following and show command output screenshot (upload to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
if you have multiple drives, then also
select disk 1
list partition
select disk 2
list partition

I would put back the GPU, unplug any "boot drive" you have created, and if you have proper cooling for the i7 11700K (you didn't listed the cooler), get into the BIOS and press the option to restore default/optimal settings (not sure which one will your mobo show).
This will rerstore your BIOS settings to factory default, then go and look for "Save and Exit" (usually F10 in Asus boards, not sure in yours), let the PC restart and go back into the BIOS by pressing F2/Del.

Check now if the boot drive you always used was "auto-detected" and set as such. If not try to do it manually (TIP: You may need to change to Advanced Mode pressing F7 to see the right BIOS menus, settings and options).

The manual is always a good source of basic information (page 26 and up): https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...1001_e.pdf?v=6745697485ca400a0927dacaccbca27c

Once you get to your old time Windows, restart the PC one more time, go back to BIOS and look for the XMP memory profile, you will most likely need to enable it for the RAM to work at 3200 (check the manual)

Last edited: