[SOLVED] Swap data between ssd and hdd with windows?

Jan 22, 2019
so i used a crucial mx500 1 tb for games, a wd black 1tb for photos and videos, and i used a kingston a400 480 gb for windows and applications until my a400 needed to be returned because read write was 20 mbps. i moved my photos and videos to the mx500 to empty the wd black and i moved all my a400s data to it. i was just wondering if i can swap the ssd data and the hdd data without losing any data. (im asking because easeus wouldnt let me transfer my a400 to the wd black unless the wd black was empty)

Solution
I'm confused.
If the system is booting from the Black then yes you can clone it back to the replacement SSD and be able to boot from it.

But you cannot just copy all the files from the SSD to the HDD and boot from the HDD. You need to clone the SSD to it or Image the SSD to another drive and then restore the image to whichever drive you wish to be the boot drive. Lastly, yes the destination drive would basically need to be empty first as the clone process would overwrite the stuff there.

popatim

Titan
I'm confused.
If the system is booting from the Black then yes you can clone it back to the replacement SSD and be able to boot from it.

But you cannot just copy all the files from the SSD to the HDD and boot from the HDD. You need to clone the SSD to it or Image the SSD to another drive and then restore the image to whichever drive you wish to be the boot drive. Lastly, yes the destination drive would basically need to be empty first as the clone process would overwrite the stuff there.

Solution
Jan 22, 2019
I'm confused.

sorry for the confusion i guess if i had to simplify it the question would be do i need to empty my ssd to clone my hdd to it but you already answered that. thanks!