Swap Home/Pro licenses between my 2 PCs

Raul Balda

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Hi. I'm trying to switch the Pro license from my HTPC (got the license from my college) to my main PC's Home Premium license (had to buy this one). But I want to do it without uninstalling windows from both machines. What should I do??

USAFRet

Titan
File Explorer
This PC - Right click
Select Properties

What happens when you select "Change product key"?
Urg4EMg.png

USAFRet

Titan

Is this just different versions of Windows 8? You stated "Home Premium" for your main PC. There is no 'Home Premium' for Win 8/8.1, only Windows 7.

If one is Win 7 and the other is Win 8, there is no 'switch'. You must reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan

So...discover the license key on both systems. Write them down.
Change, as per the above image. See what happens.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...you might have to do a full install on both systems...:(

There is no real performance difference between Pro and Regular. More RAM, and added corporate level features.
Other than that, they both run the same.

Raul Balda

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Yeah I just needed a couple of things for work that are only in the Pro version. Thank you for your help. I'll try and see what else I can do. If not then I'll just reinstall both

Raul Balda

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
ok I did it!! I had to follow a guide to uninstall both licenses using the command prompt so the licenses can be used later. Then used add features of win 8.1 to upgrade my main pc to win 8.1 pro using the pro key. The htpc downgrade was more problematic at first but then found a little program called updown8 that changes some registry values which allows the use of a windows 8 key from any version. Here I had to use an installation media (I used usb) to "reinstall" windows 8.1. This time the installer accepted my key since it was not being used anymore.

Dan2005

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

can you provide procedure details please