Question Swapping CPU cooler without remove entire MB from case?

Nov 30, 2019
So this may be a silly question as I'm a first time builder but...
I have a Thermaltake Core v21 MATX Cube-style case. The thing about this case is that it provides no access to the bottom/rear side of the MB however the standoffs aren't extremely high or anything. My question is does anyone know if the backplate might remain in a position where I can swap the cooler out in the future without removing the MB from the case entirely? I know that attaching a new cooler requires access to the backplate but I'm wondering if the case itself may keep the back plate in a position I can work with. If anyone else has this case or could provide any insight I'd be thankful!

Depends on what type of, motherboard, CPU, and cooler you have. Normally if it's a stock aircooler then no you shouldn't need to remove the entire motherboard. If it's an aftermarket cooler then chances are it had a back-plate bracket installed that you may need to take out, that would also depend on the compatibility it will have with your new cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Generally if you have a cooler with a backplate, you need access to the back of the board to do anything with it.

Depends on the cooler type, and motherboard, in question. There are many coolers that don't use backplates and clip or screw in to existing mounts. Higher end platforms tend to have heavy duty brackets and backplates permanently installed, your X boards from Intel, and TR2/TRX sockets from AMD.

Nov 30, 2019
Generally if you have a cooler with a backplate, you need access to the back of the board to do anything with it.

Depends on the cooler type, and motherboard, in question. There are many coolers that don't use backplates and clip or screw in to existing mounts. Higher end platforms tend to have heavy duty brackets and backplates permanently installed, your X boards from Intel, and TR2/TRX sockets from AMD.
I’ve got an MSI B450m Bazooka v2 and an Ryzen 5 2600. Mainly I’m wondering if aftermarket coolers exist which simply use the stock backplate meaning I can swap them in without access to the back of the board.
Thanks for the reply!

Have you bought a cooler yet? And have you considered a Aio?
Some of the corsair Aio's use the stock retention brackets and others use the 4 thread mounts of the backplate.
The H110i extreme 280mm does use those retention brackets.
Here is a link to check out the h110i setup download section look at the quick guide for amd setup and you can see what I'm talking about.

Nov 30, 2019
Have you bought a cooler yet? And have you considered a Aio?
Some of the corsair Aio's use the stock retention brackets and others use the 4 thread mounts of the backplate.
The H110i extreme 280mm does use those retention brackets.
Here is a link to check out the h110i setup download section look at the quick guide for amd setup and you can see what I'm talking about.
Thanks for the suggestion! I was mainly asking for future upgrade purposes possibly in half a year or so. Just want to know what I’d be getting into. Glad to know I won’t have to remove everything since that’d be quite a hassle for a cooler swap.

So if you are or will be using the wraith prism cooler which covers the 2700x, 3700x, 3800x, 3900x they use the stock retention brackets so there would be no need to mess with the back plate.
Anything running the wraith spire cooler with the 4 screw setup you would be messing with the backplate.