Question Swapping Motherboards

Jul 16, 2022
Hey guys. I’m gonna be swapping from a z590 Asus board to an MSI Z690 board and I had a question about my m.2. Currently i have an m.2 that has all my games and apps on it so is it just as simple as taking it out of my Asus board and plugging it into the MSI board?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey guys. I’m gonna be swapping from a z590 Asus board to an MSI Z690 board and I had a question about my m.2. Currently i have an m.2 that has all my games and apps on it so is it just as simple as taking it out of my Asus board and plugging it into the MSI board?
What drive is the OS on?
What are all the drives in this system?

Why the motherboard swap?
Generally, changing motherboards has 1 of 3 outcomes:
  1. It works just fine.
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Jul 16, 2022
I’m upgrading to the 12th gen Intel so that’s the cause of the swap. My current ram is compatible with the msi board. I’m gonna be doing a new install of windows (which is currently on a different m.2) I have two m.2’s in my build. One had windows on it along with a few apps and the other is solely games

USAFRet

Titan
I’m upgrading to the 12th gen Intel so that’s the cause of the swap. My current ram is compatible with the msi board. I’m gonna be doing a new install of windows (which is currently on a different m.2) I have two m.2’s in my build. One had windows on it along with a few apps and the other is solely games
So then do the install, with only the one drive physically connected.

Reconnect all others after.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Then you don't need to do anything about the drive with the games, but reinstall the drive (after the fresh Windows install on the OS is up and running) and point the various software to the correct directories. This is extremely easy on Steam and a wide range of awkward on other services.

Jul 16, 2022
Then you don't need to do anything about the drive with the games, but reinstall the drive (after the fresh Windows install on the OS is up and running) and point the various software to the correct directories. This is extremely easy on Steam and a wide range of awkward on other services.
Can I ask what you mean by pointing the various software to the correct directories?

USAFRet

Titan
Can I ask what you mean by pointing the various software to the correct directories?
For Steam specifically, you tell the NEW Steam client where those games exist on the other drive.

The specific click sequence may have been changed in Steam since I wrote this, but the basics...
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png