Question switch from AHCI to RST OPTANE without formatting ?

Nov 12, 2022
Good morning,
it's my first question and i m not sure i m in the right area.
i m a technician and a lot of customer's pc are running win10 pro in AHCI mode, UEFI. So, even if mainboard's chipset are different (H510, H110, B560 and so on...) i can move SSD between PC and system starts without Blue Screen Of Death.

On new mainboard with 12th generation i see there is RST OPTANE instead of AHCI. i can still disable it and enable AHCI so i can run SSD from old pc in new machines.
my problem is that in some months they will disable forever AHCI so i will not be able to chose it instead of Optane.
So my question is: how to run a ssd from AHCI system to OPTANE without BSOD and then without formatting?
i know how to convert form MBR to GPT, i know how to convert from old IDE to AHCI, now i need to know if there is a way to convert and install drivers for Optane without formatting.
i ve tried with Acronis Universal Restore, but it doesnt work, maybe i injected the wrong optane drivers...?

Does someone know how to upgrade to RST OPTANE 12th gen without formatting?
thank you sooo much for help

Optane is what is going away, not AHCI. Where did you read that AHCI was "going away"?

Many boards are simply ditching the options to switch between them because AHCI will be the default, and only recommended configuration, so far as I have read or seen.

And besides all that, AHCI has literally NOTHING to do with being able to move a Windows installation from one machine to another, which is simply a bad idea in about 95% of cases regardless of even whether they have the same chipset or not. Moving from one board to another means most probably having different storage controllers, different network adapters, different audio controllers and codecs all of which might require different OR conflicting drivers. Yes, it sometimes works, but more often than not there will be some kind of problem that either involves "chasing ghosts" or simply BSOD problems from the start. But regardless, that has nothing to do with AHCI mode, at all. It is an entirely separate issue.

I wouldn't worry about being Optane compatible, because Intel has already made clear they are retiring Optane and in fact have already finished their final Optane products that will probably ever be seen. Soon there will begin to be NO Optane options on motherboards.

As seen here, in Optane's "final voyage".

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/optanes-final-voyage-intel-quietly-launches-p5810x-ssds

Reactions: konig87
Nov 12, 2022
Sorry for late answer.
Well, so my next question is: how to move from 11th gen to 12th without formatting? sometime (new chipset, new storage controller) aren't seen in migration of hardware so there are BSOD. what do you do if you cannot format at all?
i try to use Acronis Universal Restore but this often doesnt work well and then even if it tells me it's done, at restard BSOD still remains!
Thank you so much

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry for late answer.
Well, so my next question is: how to move from 11th gen to 12th without formatting? sometime (new chipset, new storage controller) aren't seen in migration of hardware so there are BSOD. what do you do if you cannot format at all?
i try to use Acronis Universal Restore but this often doesnt work well and then even if it tells me it's done, at restard BSOD still remains!
Thank you so much
CHanging chipset (motherboard) almost always requires a full wipe and reinstall.

Since you CANNOT go from 11th gen to 12th gen without changing chipsets, that question is a non-starter. There are no 11th Gen chipset motherboards that will work with 12th Gen CPUs. They don't even have the same socket. So that is pointless to even try and answer, and furthermore, as USAFRe and I have already said, when going from one chipset to another you should always do a clean install of Windows if you want to avoid the very real potential of problems. Also, even when changing from one board to another that both use the same chipset, there are still considerable differences between brands and models including different storage controllers etc. that STILL make it a good idea to do a clean install, although probably not AS critical as when going from one chipset to another.

"Formatting" is never a required component of doing a clean install. If done right, Windows will create all the required partitions and perform any necessary formatting during the clean install process.

What Windows version are you dealing with on these systems?