Hoppy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001

This facility has ceased to work on my PC. Can anyone please tell me how to
restore this? I hit the icon and nothing happens. This happened before I
installed SP2.
--
C5

Go to Start | Run, type "Services.msc" without the quotes. Doubleclick "Fast
User Switching" change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start | OK.
Next go to Start | Control Panel | User Accounts, click "Change the way
users Log on or off" make sure both "Use the Welcome screen" and "Fast user
switching" are checked, click Apply options and see if it works now.

John

Hoppy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001

I have tried this but the Fast user switching option in the User Accounts
will not stay checked, so I assume the problem lies elsewhere. I will look at
the MS discussion papers suggested by Wesley.

Anyway, thanks for the clear guidance on enabling this feature.

"John Paul" wrote:

> Go to Start | Run, type "Services.msc" without the quotes. Doubleclick "Fast
> User Switching" change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start | OK.
> Next go to Start | Control Panel | User Accounts, click "Change the way
> users Log on or off" make sure both "Use the Welcome screen" and "Fast user
> switching" are checked, click Apply options and see if it works now.
>

> John

Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on.

Fast User Switching is unavailable on computers that are members of a
network domain.

Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are
members of a network domain.

A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739

The Default Windows Logon Interface May Not Appear After Installing
Third-Party Program

Fast User Switching Option Is Not Available
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280758

Fast User Switching May Be Unavailable on Systems That Use Shared Video
Memory
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331841

You Cannot Use Fast User Switching After You Install Cisco Systems VPN
Dialer Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829715

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.