[SOLVED] Switching from a full-size keyboard, is Keychron K2 good build-quality ?

Ctwodub

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
I am currently using the Logitech G513 RGB full size keyboard, and am looking to get into a smaller form factor budget-friendly keyboard. I have my eyes on the v2 of the Keychron K2. For anyone who has experience with the K2, will I see a significant quality drop? I like the build quality of the logitech, but it is very big on the desk.

OR are there any sub $100 65-75% keyboard options that you would suggest more?

Solution
By smaller, are you sure you want to go for that sort of a layout?
611gRkrOX7L._AC_SY450_.jpg

I personally feel that the layout is squashed/clumsy, where your hands will bump across the arrow key cluster during typing.

The keyboard is also wireless, which is a no-no on my books, but if you're looking for a wireless keyboard, more power to you...just not fascinated with a battery under a keyboard which ends up being a problem if it fails and it needs replacing.

If you're looking square at Keychron range, you can look at the C1, is less than 60USD. I personally own Ducky's Mecha SF in the Limited Edition Emerald Edition in Cherry MX Silent Red's. The build quality on the Ducky's are fantastic...

Lutfij

Titan
By smaller, are you sure you want to go for that sort of a layout?
611gRkrOX7L._AC_SY450_.jpg

I personally feel that the layout is squashed/clumsy, where your hands will bump across the arrow key cluster during typing.

The keyboard is also wireless, which is a no-no on my books, but if you're looking for a wireless keyboard, more power to you...just not fascinated with a battery under a keyboard which ends up being a problem if it fails and it needs replacing.

If you're looking square at Keychron range, you can look at the C1, is less than 60USD. I personally own Ducky's Mecha SF in the Limited Edition Emerald Edition in Cherry MX Silent Red's. The build quality on the Ducky's are fantastic but you do pay a premium for the heft of their builds. Mind you, the board I picked was a custom mod/system build I'm planning hence the Limited Edition keyboard(s). If you were on a medium'ish budget, you should look at a 65% board, hotswap, non RGB and wired keyboard. TKL's are a good way to negate the missing space but take advantage of the space.

Also, you take a look at the HyperX Alloy Origins 60?

Solution
I am currently using the Logitech G513 RGB full size keyboard, and am looking to get into a smaller form factor budget-friendly keyboard. I have my eyes on the v2 of the Keychron K2. For anyone who has experience with the K2, will I see a significant quality drop? I like the build quality of the logitech, but it is very big on the desk.

OR are there any sub $100 65-75% keyboard options that you would suggest more?

Keychon is decent quality, along with Epomaker and a few other more generic brands (meaning not the ones that advertise like Logitech, Corsiar, etc..). You may need to do some modding of the larger keys to make them feel and sound better due to the stabilizer mounting. I find a bit of extra lube and some small foam pieces make them feel more solid and less rattle.

As above, the smaller layouts do take a bit to get used to, really depends on how you use the keyboard. The lack of F keys for a computer tech or someone that uses them often for macros in games or other things may be an issue with the 60-65% keyboards. I actually have two small keyboards at my desk but still keep full size ones around when working on computers for others.