[SOLVED] Switching from Primary HDD to SSD.

The_tech_guy

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
I have a very slow Toshiba 2TB HDD it slows down my entire i9 system by a LOT. I was wondering how I should switch to an m.2 pcie. I wish to get a new install of windows but use same local accounts and programs from other drive. Then use my old drive as a data drive and not a boot drive. How do I do this without losing data? The new ssd will be a Corsiar force 510 1Tb

Solution
That is complicated in C partition I have 400GB Used out of a TB. Then I have my system in a dual boot setup so I have another 100GB Used in that but I only have that because of my horrible hard drive as it is more optimized than windows. My Disk crashes my PC around once a day of using windows. In total I have around 550GB Used of 2TB. I know the transfer will take around 6 days. The new drive is a PCIe NVME M.2 drive. Old drive is SATA HDD on Sata Port 2. I have another drive on SATA port 3. Also is this a normal hard drive sound? It makes this sound before it crashes and always makes a quieter version of this sound. Who would've thought the only sound my pc makes would be the hard drive?
That whole description...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You could always clone it - quoting the resident expert here:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...thy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

The_tech_guy

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
Just to clarify I should NOT get a fresh install of windows? I heard from a couple of sources(I cannot remember where). That when switching from an hdd to ssd you should get a fresh install of windows.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just to clarify I should NOT get a fresh install of windows? I heard from a couple of sources(I cannot remember where). That when switching from an hdd to ssd you should get a fresh install of windows.
That's certainly best practice yes.
But if you're not changing any other hardware, you can do a clone as stated above perfectly fine. You just have to be wary of the clone operation as sometimes the sector size or the drive usage can make the clone a little more complicated. (Depending on how full the drive is).

Because you can't clone to a drive with less space than your current amount of data.

USAFRet

Titan
SATA HDD/SSD to SATA SSD int he same system, no problem (assuming all the other considerations work)

SATA HDD/SSD to NVMe SSD, maybe problem, but try it. If it fails, then do your clean install.

Reactions: PC Tailor

The_tech_guy

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
That is complicated in C partition I have 400GB Used out of a TB. Then I have my system in a dual boot setup so I have another 100GB Used in that but I only have that because of my horrible hard drive as it is more optimized than windows. My Disk crashes my PC around once a day of using windows. In total I have around 550GB Used of 2TB. I know the transfer will take around 6 days. The new drive is a PCIe NVME M.2 drive. Old drive is SATA HDD on Sata Port 2. I have another drive on SATA port 3. Also is this a normal hard drive sound? It makes this sound before it crashes and always makes a quieter version of this sound. Who would've thought the only sound my pc makes would be the hard drive?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
That whole description mandates a clean install of the OS and your applications on the new NVMe drive.

When conditions are perfect, cloning from one drive to another may be an option.
This is far from perfect.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS