Switching HTPC to Mini ITX Build

Jobie111

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hello All,

During the summer I built an HTPC/Gaming rig. It is an ATX build that includes an FX-8150, Radeon 7870, 1 SSD, 2 HDD, and a Ceton Infinitv for DVR functionality. This is all housed in a Lian Li case. Unfortunately, the case doesn't entirely fit inside our TV console, and this has grown to be unacceptable to the better half. I have been unable to find any ATX HTPC cases that will fit in the space. So I was thinking I would like to turn it into a Mini ITX build.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Mini ITX motherboards for the FX series. If this is not true, please let me know. I would be willing to move the processor/motherboard into my Desktop rig and get something new, but as I have never done Mini ITX before I need some advice. What would be the best components to fit my needs and get smaller? Will a Trinity APU be sufficient? Thanks everyone!

dsventimiglia

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe Mini ITX AM3 Motherboard and AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor are not compatible.
CPU thermal design power (TDP) of 125W exceeds motherboard maximum of 95W
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor apeers to be the best for mini itx build...

if your happy with your HTPC except the ho9le fitting thng.... change change space to fit?

Jobie111

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah, I know none of the Mini ITX motherboards are compatible. I actually have a X4 945 in my desktop right now, but even AM3 Mini ITX boards are hard to find at this point.

Unfortunately there is nowhere else to put the HTPC, and modifying/replacing current TV console is not an option. I think I will either have to go Trinity or switch to an Intel build to go Mini ITX. Or may compromise with a mATX build.

Jobie111

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Unfortunately those cases are a full inch deeper than my current Lian Li case, which is where the problem with mine lies. It sticks out about an inch.

Jobie111

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah, I think Micro ATX is the way to go. The only way I am going to get Mini ITX is going Intel and I'd rather not have to buy a new processor as well. I think when I built it there weren't any Micro ATX that supported the new FX 8-core processors. As far as motherboards are concerned, considering these two. Any opinions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157323

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131758

I have an SSD in it, so Sata 6GB/s is a must. I prefer the AsRock because the PCI x16 and PCI x1 are seperated more, so my Ceton card won't be heating up the graphics card.

Jobie111

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

I am currently using the Lian Li PC60B:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112335

It is 7.17" tall, 17.52" wide, and 16.14" deep. The height and width are fine (though I couldn't go much wider) but the depth is about .5" too deep, and then is about 1.25" too deep after everything is plugged in at the back.

I have searched several times trying to find a case that I like and would fit and have found nothing. I've found several mATX cases that I would be happy with. Only issue now is picking the best motherboard.