[SOLVED] Switching ISPs - how to reconnect coax cables?

Jan 15, 2021
I am switching from fios to xfinity internet. I am trying to do a self install and want to clear up my doubts about the wiring. I currently have a fios gateway connected to my inside coax outlet. I want to replace it with my new xfinity cable modem. I suspect I cannot simply remove the coax cable form the back of my current fios modem and put it in my xfinity modem and expect it to work.

Outside my home I have the Fios box and a coax cable coming out of it, connected to another coax cable going into the home. There is also a coax cable sticking out of the ground, not connected to anything - is this likely to be the cable coming from xfinity? If I disconnect the coax coming from the fios box, and plug in this suspected xfinity cable to the cable going into the house, am I all set? In this case, can I just replace the fios gateway to my new xfinity modem on the same wire inside the house?

With everyone working and studying from home, I would like to make the transition with as little experimentation as possible, and minimize any offline time (I have a short overlap period before my fios expires). I appreciate all inputs!

Solution
I used to have xfinity several years ago, so the house was wired ready for xfinity. I also have a wiring box in the garage with wires and splitters for TV/phone lines, which are connected to the various outle. When I had xfinity installed at the beginning, the installer connected through this box in the garage. The Fios installer did everything outside the house. My question is, is it likely that the xfinity wiring was disconnected outside the house? Or would the cable box in the garage still be connected to the xfinity cables? I would really prefer not to have an installer come to my home.
Also is there a simple way to test with a multimeter if a coax outlet is receiving a signal?
Hmmm...you could hav e2x demarcs, one for fios...
Jan 15, 2021
You HAVE to ask xfinity on this.
It might be, it be from something else completely.

My guess is that your guess is right, but as posted previously, ask xfinity--usually they will need a tech on site if you haven't had service before.

I used to have xfinity several years ago, so the house was wired ready for xfinity. I also have a wiring box in the garage with wires and splitters for TV/phone lines, which are connected to the various outle. When I had xfinity installed at the beginning, the installer connected through this box in the garage. The Fios installer did everything outside the house. My question is, is it likely that the xfinity wiring was disconnected outside the house? Or would the cable box in the garage still be connected to the xfinity cables? I would really prefer not to have an installer come to my home.
Also is there a simple way to test with a multimeter if a coax outlet is receiving a signal?

USAFRet

Titan
You're going to be giving them money. They want to get it right as much as you do.
A single phone call to xfinity, from an actual customer (you), would clear this up completely. vs opinions from random people on the intertubes.

In the intervening years, they may have upgraded their neighborhood junction box. Since you might not have been a customer at that moment in time, who knows if the actual line coming to your house is live or not.

Call them.

Jan 15, 2021
You're going to be giving them money. They want to get it right as much as you do.
A single phone call to xfinity, from an actual customer (you), would clear this up completely. vs opinions from random people on the intertubes.

In the intervening years, they may have upgraded their neighborhood junction box. Since you might not have been a customer at that moment in time, who knows if the actual line coming to your house is live or not.

Call them.

That sounds reasonable, thanks!

Hmmm...you could hav e2x demarcs, one for fios and one for xfinity. I guess the easiest way is to take the cable modem to the garage and see if it connects there. You'll need a pc too for the initial setup (or a long ethernet cable), but if it syncs and gets you to the walled garden, you're in good shape as you already have a 'live' connection.

Solution

Call them.
The problem is that the only thing they'll be able to do is tell him if his location is 'live' or not--they will still have no clue as to where their demarc is on his property.

Jan 15, 2021
Hmmm...you could hav e2x demarcs, one for fios and one for xfinity. I guess the easiest way is to take the cable modem to the garage and see if it connects there. You'll need a pc too for the initial setup (or a long ethernet cable), but if it syncs and gets you to the walled garden, you're in good shape as you already have a 'live' connection.
That is a great idea! will try it.

Reactions: SamirD
Jan 15, 2021

I just did this, plugged the modem to the coax sticking out of the ground outside my garage, and I managed to activate the modem! I didn't even have to plug the modem to the computer - the xfinity app says I'm all set.

Now the question is, if I remove the fios coax cable and connect the xfinity cable to the incoming coax outside the house, will it be a seamless transition exchanging the fios gateway to my newly activated xfinity modem? Will have to try that later as I cannot take the house offline right now. But happy that I was able to activate the modem without having to unplug fios first.

I just did this, plugged the modem to the coax sticking out of the ground outside my garage, and I managed to activate the modem! I didn't even have to plug the modem to the computer - the xfinity app says I'm all set.

Now the question is, if I remove the fios coax cable and connect the xfinity cable to the incoming coax outside the house, will it be a seamless transition exchanging the fios gateway to my newly activated xfinity modem? Will have to try that later as I cannot take the house offline right now. But happy that I was able to activate the modem without having to unplug fios first.
Sweet!

Yes, should be a very easy transition:
  • Unplug Verizon modem and disconnect.
  • Unplug cable outside coming from Verizon
  • Plug xfinity cable outside
  • Connect xfinity cable modem inside and plug in.

Jan 15, 2021
Sweet!

Yes, should be a very easy transition:
  • Unplug Verizon modem and disconnect.
  • Unplug cable outside coming from Verizon
  • Plug xfinity cable outside
  • Connect xfinity cable modem inside and plug in.

I swapped out the modems, and happy to report that everything is working perfectly now. It turned out to be a lot easier and quicker than I was expecting. Taking the modem out and testing it there seems like a no-brainer now, don't know why I didn't think of it!
Thanks for all the suggestions!