[SOLVED] Switching Windows 10 from HDD to SSD ?

Wetcav

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Hello,

I just ordered an SSD as I have run into a problem with slow boot times and a tough time loading into games. When I install my SSD do I have to completely reinstall windows 10? Or is there a way I can just move it from my HDD to my SSD by copying it from my HDD and then pasting it into my SSD?

If I have to reinstall it, will that erase everything on my computer? For example, Will it uninstall all of the games and applications I have downloaded?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Solution
Could I just delete this common folder under my "program files (x86) and call it good then move everything else over? View: https://imgur.com/mijI0QY
Probably, yes.

Then, after the clone operation, you tell the Steam client where that is.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

USAFRet

Titan
Cloning.
It more than just a simple copy/paste. Done correctly, in the right conditions, it works.

What specific SSD?
How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
Please show us a screencap of the current Disk Management window.

Wetcav

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Cloning.
It more than just a simple copy/paste. Done correctly, in the right conditions, it works.

What specific SSD?
How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
Please show us a screencap of the current Disk Management window.
I am currently at work so I don't have access to my HDD and how much space I have. But I just ordered the "WD Blue 3D NAND 500 GB Internal SSD. (https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-500gb/p/N82E16820250087)
https://forums.tomshardware.com/javascript:;

USAFRet

Titan

USAFRet

Titan
Here's the thing: when you get your ssd you'll be provided with software, preferably Acronis, that will allow you to create an image of your old hdd which can be copied onto your new ssd. BUT, you will need a place to temporarily store the image, and that could be a problem. So you will need to first of all know how much stuff you have on your old hdd. Acronis can compress that stuff to a certain extent when creating the hdd drive image, but you'll still need a place to store it. So unless you have some big external storage devices, you may have no choice other than to reinstall everything. Depending on how big your hdd image is and how much free space you have on your hdd, you might be able to create the image temporarily storing it on your ssd, then copying the image from the ssd to the hdd if there's enough free space, and then installing the image on your ssd. But you won't know until you start the process and see how big the image file will be and then figuring out where to store it.
With cloning software, there is no need for a temporary Image.
That's a whole different thing.

Wetcav

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
In the context of a clone operation, you can't pick and choose what gets cloned.

You need to move/delete about 100GB.
Could I move specific folders into a cloud or hard drive, then delete them off this current hard drive and make the clone, then once the clone is finished, wipe this hard drive and move everything back that was in the cloud/hard drive into this hard drive?

Then what folders would I need to put in my SSD? I can remove everything else for the time being besides the ones that need to go into my SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Could I move specific folders into a cloud or hard drive, then delete them off this current hard drive and make the clone, then once the clone is finished, wipe this hard drive and move everything back that was in the cloud/hard drive into this hard drive?

Then what folders would I need to put in my SSD? I can remove everything else for the time being besides the ones that need to go into my SSD.
What might be in these folders?
Any installed applications/games will fail. They would them live on a different drive letter.
Steam/Origin games are an exception to that.

For instance, the SteamApps folder can be moved to elsewhere first.
The, you'd tell the Steam client where they eventually live.

But also...for that 500GB SSD>..400GB is the max you want to consume, even after the clone operation.

USAFRet

Titan
When you DO get to that 400GB level...

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Wetcav

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Could I add the program files (x86), Windows, Riot Games, and Battlestate games all to my SSD and move all other folders to a separate flash drive then clone? then once cloned add all of those files back onto my HDD?

Wetcav

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
When you DO get to that 400GB level...

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Could I just delete this common folder under my "program files (x86) and call it good then move everything else over? View: https://imgur.com/mijI0QY

USAFRet

Titan
Probably, yes.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Solution

Wetcav

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Probably, yes.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
Perfect, thank you!

You've be helpful. What cloning application would you recommend me use? (This is my last question)