Question System boots to a black screen on specific monitor (Odyssey G8) ?

nors3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Recently I bought an Odyssey Neo G8 because I wanted to upgrade from 1440p to 4k. However, sometimes this monitor will refuse to show display and mainly happens when booting into safe mode (Holding shift and clicking restart). For instance I boot into my 1080p monitor into safe mode and it works fine. Then it works completely fine on my 1440p monitor, but then the G8 will just go to a black screen and I am forced to restart the PC via holding down the power button. All these displays used the same DP cable and I tried another display cable for each. I also rollbacked on a different graphic's driver and I reset the monitor settings on the G8 but it still doesn't boot into safe mode, it will just go into standby mode. However, after about 10-12 restarts I managed to finally get into safe mode on the G8.

One other thing that it did strangely today was when I updated Windows and when it restarted, it did not show picture on the G8 during the lock screen (where you put your password/pin). However, when I took the DP cable out of the G8 it went immediately to the 1080p monitor and I logged in, plugged in the G8 again and Windows recognized it and the icons on my 1080p moved off (switching primary screen to G8) and then the G8 still went to a black screen and I am forced to restart the computer. Before I restarted, I made sure the 1440p could be recognized by plugging it in, and it did.

What is weird is that the G8 works fine with everything else like gaming, etc. and the screen never flickers or turns off, it only has problems going into a black screen after restarting, but I am not 100% sure if its still the monitor since it could be Windows or possibly the GPU.

Anyone have any guesses? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
UPDATE & SOLVED:

I did a clean reinstall of Windows 11 using a USB and going into offline. Deleted and wiped everything on my SSD (all partitions) reinstalled all the drivers and reconfigured the monitors to work with NVIDIA’s latest drivers. I also made sure to reinstall the chipset drivers. On my G8 I was able to boot into Recovery Mode and Safe Mode successfully with no black screen.

MY GUESS ON THE PROBLEM:

I think it was a bad install of Windows when I built my PC where the Windows display settings were bugged out to not calculate the exact resolution with the monitor. For instance, when my 1080p monitor was portrait sometimes it would display a 1920x1080 res on a portrait monitor which showed a crammed vertical image. I...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I also rollbacked on a different graphic's driver
Did you use DDU to unisntall your drivers to roll back to a prior version?

nors3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I also rollbacked on a different graphic's driver
Did you use DDU to unisntall your drivers to roll back to a prior version?
My apologies. Here are my specs:

CPU: i9 13900KF
CPU cooler: H150i Elite
Motherboard: Asus Z790-E
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (2 x 16) 5600Mhz I believe
SSD/HDD: 1 970 evo (1tb)
GPU: 4090 (TUF)
PSU: RM 1000x
Chassis: NZXT H9
Monitor: Odyssey Neo G8 (main monitor) with a AW2521HF (secondary)

Latest, I just flashed it, its on v0904

I used DDU in safe mode (using my 1080p monitor) to uninstall it and rolled back.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you clear the CMOS for your motherboard?

As for the displays, are they both hooked to the discrete GPU? Try and hook the primary panel to the discrete GPU and the secondary panel to the iGPU(motherboard's display output).

nors3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Did you clear the CMOS for your motherboard?

As for the displays, are they both hooked to the discrete GPU? Try and hook the primary panel to the discrete GPU and the secondary panel to the iGPU(motherboard's display output).

I just cleared the CMOS, I still have the issue :/

For the displays, they are both hooked to the GPU, I can't do iGPU because I have a 13900kf and it doesn't have dedicated graphics unfortunately.

nors3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Sorry, I just noticed the F in the suffix. Have you tried changing your wall outlets?

Yeah I just tried to switch from my power strip directly into the wall and it still does it. It isn't a huge issue because I can just use my 1080p monitor to get into the Recovery menu and into Safe mode by unplugging the G8, but it is quite annoying that I get a black screen even attempting with it.

Do you think it might be a bad W11 install? I can get into the BIOS completely fine w/ it otherwise. I am going to test the monitor on my old computer to see if it does the same behavior as well.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you think it might be a bad W11 install?
It could, you'd need to verify that by recreating the bootable USB installer and then manually reinstalling the OS in offline mode. You will need to manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

nors3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Do you think it might be a bad W11 install?
It could, you'd need to verify that by recreating the bootable USB installer and then manually reinstalling the OS in offline mode. You will need to manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Alright, I am going to reinstall W11 today. I just tested the monitor on my old PC and it worked with no issues, seems to only happen on this computer.

nors3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
UPDATE & SOLVED:

I did a clean reinstall of Windows 11 using a USB and going into offline. Deleted and wiped everything on my SSD (all partitions) reinstalled all the drivers and reconfigured the monitors to work with NVIDIA’s latest drivers. I also made sure to reinstall the chipset drivers. On my G8 I was able to boot into Recovery Mode and Safe Mode successfully with no black screen.

MY GUESS ON THE PROBLEM:

I think it was a bad install of Windows when I built my PC where the Windows display settings were bugged out to not calculate the exact resolution with the monitor. For instance, when my 1080p monitor was portrait sometimes it would display a 1920x1080 res on a portrait monitor which showed a crammed vertical image. I suspected it was Windows.

Thanks for help!

Solution