Question System BSODs and crashes

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Hi, I sincerely need help with the constant crashes and BSOD's I have been having after upgrading my build's mobo,cpu,psu and ram.

Since the build went live, I have been experiencing the following BSODs:
  • Kmode exception not handled (most common one)
  • Driver IRQL not less or equal (second most common one)
  • *latest one: Kernel security check failure
and occasionnaly these as well mostly during startup:
  • Critical process died
  • Unexpected Kernel mode trap
  • System service exception
I have been trying to isolate where the issue(s) might be, and these are the following steps I have gone through so far:
  • Reseated each hardware component.
  • Checked that bios is up to date.
  • Removed two of the 4 ram modules, to see if there were compatibility issues between modules.
  • memtest86 on all 4 ram modules (Passed test)
  • Removed gpu drivers with DDU and reinstalled newest.
  • Used the "Reset this pc" option in windows 10 while keeping files.
  • In cmd prompt, did DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  • In cmd prompt, did sfc /scannow
  • In cmd prompt did chkdsk and chkdsk /r until completion. (Seemed to have restored some partitioned parts on the C: Drive).
  • Used whocrashed program to check dump files and removed a program that had a .sys file that was associated with a "Kmode exception not handled" BSOD.
  • Removed a bit of seemingly extra thermal paste on cpu.
  • Switched the present ram modules, for two other ram modules and slotted them in a2 and b2 dimms, as advised by mobo manual.
  • Switch ram frequency to 6000mhz in bios. Reverted to auto, as problems persisted.
  • Tried other games/programs, namely Subnautica worked flawlessly until getting a memory related error.
  • Restarted the bios update procedure and flashed bios following some advice from another thread but still getting crashes.
  • Re-launched system from a clean windows install.
  • Removed Nvidia Drivers in safe mode using DDU.
  • *(last) Opened up case again to reseat cpu, switched the two ram modules for the two others and slotted in a2 & b2, and removed wifi adaptator that came with motherboard. Also set xmp setting in bios for ram.
Additional Info:

- I tried to launch benchmarks in 3D Mark, the tests begin to run and then stop and crash while the demo is presenting, ending in a saturated pixelated stopped frame of the demo.

- Also, I tried to launch Overwatch game on battlenet to see if it would launch , and the program launches a black screen, at the same time a window pops up with the following message: " An external program has caused Overwatch to crash. Please add Overwatch to your anti-virus exception list and close any streaming, recording or overlay software." BLZOWCLI00000006.

- And, while using chrome, I randomly got the status_access_violation a few times.

Latest dumpfiles:

https://we.tl/t-gtPuIATpQo
*most recent one:
https://we.tl/t-NpIx711hJW
(mosly IRQL error now).

*Here is a recent crash report:
Source
Subnautica.exe

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎12/‎5/‎2022 9:48 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Subnautica.exe
Application Version: 2019.2.17.441
Application Timestamp: 5ed2782e
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fc3f
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: PCH_4E_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009DC14
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fc3f
Additional Information 2: fc3f37b96f365cc38a68eb46be07153d
Additional Information 3: 2020
Additional Information 4: 2020226c285db419bf84b223def456bc

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 23dd974a79173b3c3723213b52185597 (1667212825721329047)

Current build:
Motherboard: Rog Strix 2690-F gaming wifi
CPU: I9-13900KF
RAM: Kingston DDR5 6000Mhz 16gb (x2) *(a2 & b2)
GPU: RTX 3090
PSU: Seasonic 1300w G
SSds: Samsung SSD 840 evo 1tb & 960 PRO 1tb

Any help would be extremely appreciated, something I didn't understand from the dumpfiles maybe ? In any case please help if possible, thank you.

*updates

Last edited:

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
When you got your new hardware, did you do clean Win install? Or did you reuse your OS drive and plugged it into the system as it was with old hardware? :unsure:

Thanks for answering.
I reused my OS drive and plugged it as it was :unsure:

edit: Please check the recent crash report I added/copy pasted if that can help.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
edit: Please check the recent crash report I added/copy pasted if that can help.

Dump files can pinpoint what the issue is. However, i don't know how to read those. For that, we have our resident Win10/11 expert: @Colif , who can make sense of them. I'm specialized on hardware issues myself (with some knowledge of software issues).

I reused my OS drive and plugged it as it was

Bad idea. And most likely the source of all your issues.

With new hardware, clean Win install is a must, unless you want the issues you're having.

So, format your OS drive and make a clean Win install. Once that is done and issues remain, then we can look further into what is causing the issues.

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Dump files can pinpoint what the issue is. However, i don't know how to read those. For that, we have our resident Win10/11 expert: @Colif , who can make sense of them. I'm specialized on hardware issues myself (with some knowledge of software issues).

Bad idea. And most likely the source of all your issues.

With new hardware, clean Win install is a must, unless you want the issues you're having.

So, format your OS drive and make a clean Win install. Once that is done and issues remain, then we can look further into what is causing the issues.

Thanks, I definitely regret doing that if that is the source.
Alright, I am going to start doing the transfer to a clean win install.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So I don't need to convert these?

Sorry for poking you, but if OP issues would be back, even after clean Win install, then you being here helps. (y)

Thanks, I definitely regret doing that if that is the source.

It's the most likely source. Also, clean Win install is required with new hardware.

In similar sense: same is when you e.g upgrade GPU. You won't be using old GPU drivers, would you now? :LOL: You'd be uninstalling old GPU drivers with DDU and then install new, clean and proper drivers.

Reactions: AspV

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Sorry for poking you, but if OP issues would be back, even after clean Win install, then you being here helps. (y)

It's the most likely source. Also, clean Win install is required with new hardware.

In similar sense: same is when you e.g upgrade GPU. You won't be using old GPU drivers, would you now? :LOL: You'd be uninstalling old GPU drivers with DDU and then install new, clean and proper drivers.
okay, I am here now... Good thing I noticed before I converted all 10 of them. One was empty.

Update:
I booted windows from a USB and formatted the SSD that had the old OS to install the fresh windows in it. *Also removed all the other drives, so only the SSD with OS is plugged at the moment.
Installed some required drivers. And unfortunately the problems persist 😕.

Had 4-5 instances of bsod since the windows refresh.
  • Kmode exception not handled (most recent two)
  • Driver IRQL not less or equal
  • System service exception
Also, separately tried to launch 3D Mark and Overwatch when the system felt stable (I only had 1 bsod at that point), but had the exact same issues as I listed in my first post sadly.

Here are the last dump files https://we.tl/t-n5BUSx7JBT
Please help !!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
refresh? did you clean install or just reset? there is a difference, resets keep the drivers. Clean installs force all new everything

I will convert dumps from today.

Conversion of Dumps

Report - click run as fiddle to read (mostly for me)

File: 120522-6343-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 01:10:34)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File: 120522-5953-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 01:51:38)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: 3DMarkTimeSpy.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File: 120522-5531-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 01:53:11)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File: 120522-4984-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 01:55:43)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: CompatTelRunner.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 00 Sec(s)

File: 120522-3265-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 00:35:17)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: OneDriveSetup.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

nothing obvious, some strange victims (processes named are victims)
Try running this and see if any newer lan/wifi drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Thank you for your answer.

The windows was a clean install, actually formatted the ssd before installing from USB drive.

I ran the Intel driver support assistant, and had to download the latest lan/wifi driver as you suspected. After this driver it said intel drivers are up to date on system.

After a reboot of the system I tried a 3D Mark dx12 test which went further than I ever saw it going with this new build which had me hopeful, but it couldn't complete the test. And unfortunately, the system had one more BSOD, and experienced the same errors when launching Overwatch as before.

Colif

Win 11 Master
errors that follow clean installs normally mean its hardware.

Do you have armoury crate installed? it can be used to update Asus drivers. Although you only have 3 Asus drivers installed
if you don't have that installed, do you have GPU Tweak 2 installed as I see a driver that could be in either.
I assume Syanpse is up to date
the only other driver left then is Nvidia...

guess I could blame 3 of the BSOD on Nvidia.
try running ddu in safe mode, remove Nvidia drivers, boot back into normal mode and, instead of getting drivers direct from Nvidia, run windows upate. It will find drivers

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
About Armory crate, I think the system crashed during its operation after the clean windows install. So that might be why it didn't download everything. I'll try re activating it now.

I just ran DDU in safe mode, removed nvidia drivers, booted back to normal. I let windows update everything, and rebooted again for safe measure. Then launched 3D mark, and got another similar crash as before.

Not sure how to proceed anymore, there is a 3.0 usb interface from my case, that is connected to a 3.2 one from the mobo. You think that could be an issue ?

*update: Can confirm now, had a BSOD (Kmode exception) again during armory crate installs. Will try relaunching it.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Motherboard: Rog Strix Z690-F gaming wifi
CPU: I9-13900KF
RAM: Kingston DDR5 6000Mhz 16gb (x2) *(a2 & b2)
GPU: RTX 3090
PSU: Seasonic 1300w G
SSds: Samsung SSD 840 evo 1tb & 960 PRO 1tb
lets see, you on latest BIOS
swapped ram, checked it in memtest
run this? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?
I don't know if this works on the 960 Pro - run Magician and run tests on both drives - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/
I doubt its the PSU
they aren't normal errors to get for GPU

running out of things to check.

No Wifi dongles or anything?

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
- Managed to get Armoury Crate installed. Tried launching 3D MARK and Overwatch for testing but got similar results as before.
Curiously got a different error for overwatch now that says "Overwatch has crashed in the graphics driver", some posts
seem to say it is linked to Aurora and Armoury crate.

- I ran the intel processor diagnostic tool, it seemed to have passed all test. Does that mean that the CPU shouldn't be the issue ? Was kind of worried about that.

- I ran magician tests on the 840 EVO, it is the only drive plugged to the system at the moment as I unplugged the rest when doing the clean windows install.
It doesnt support diagnostic scan, but I did a benchmark and a smart test on it.

Please find the Intel processor test and Magician tests here:
https://we.tl/t-Skfai9Vq6H

*forgot to answer the question about wifi dongles, I just have the wi-fi moving antenna provided with the motherboard plugged to the wi-fi ports at the back of the chassis.

*Opened up case again to reseat cpu, switched the two ram modules for the two others and slotted in a2 & b2, and removed wifi adaptator that came with motherboard. /Also set xmp setting in bios for ram. And still getting 3d Mark and Overwatch crash.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
running out of things to check.

Yeah, the list is getting slim, fast.

memtest86 on all 4 ram modules (Passed test)

What frequency your RAM was, when you did the test? The OC (XMP profile) or JEDEC standard (4800 Mhz)?

Also, when you run your RAM at JEDEC speeds (4800 Mhz) does some issues go away or you don't see any difference?

And still getting 3d Mark and Overwatch crash.

How about downclocking your GPU a bit? It might help (keep your system stable).
Guide on how to do it (and don't do the undervolt, instead do the underclock): https://www.gpumag.com/how-to-underclock-your-gpu/

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014

What frequency your RAM was, when you did the test? The OC (XMP profile) or JEDEC standard (4800 Mhz)?

Also, when you run your RAM at JEDEC speeds (4800 Mhz) does some issues go away or you don't see any difference?

Guide on how to do it (and don't do the undervolt, instead do the underclock): https://www.gpumag.com/how-to-underclock-your-gpu/

Thanks for staying around.
During the test, I believe the Frequency was 4000Mhz standard/auto. And When I re did bios upgrade procedure during troubelshooting, with latest Intel Me updates, and reseated the other pair of ddr5, I think the bios updated standard/auto to 4800Mhz which I found was odd behavior. Also, I just reseated the previous pair of ddr5, and before I set XMP in the bios, I am pretty sure I saw that standard/auto showed 4000Mhz again.
Maybe that could be a hint towards an issue ?

The system does feel more stable though now after all this troubleshooting, but the crashes in 3D Mark, Overwatch and just tried Heroes of the storm (battlenet) persist still. I will try other programs to see if it can be helpful.

Additionally I'll try downlocking gpu now.

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014

Update:
Underclocking did not seem to bring more stability to 3DMark, so I brought back clocking to base value.

However, I was able to complete a furmark test in 2160p, and results are good, somehow, there were no crash during this test, not sure what to think of it:

feSiU0S.png

GPU0 device ID10DE-2204
DriverR516.94
GPU0 max usage97 %
GPU0 max temperature79 °C
GPU0 max power102 % TDP

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I am pretty sure I saw that standard/auto showed 4000Mhz again.

This isn't possible with DDR5, since lowest where DDR5 stats from, is 4400 Mhz, while the lowest your MoBo supports is 4800 Mhz,
MoBo specs: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/spec/

So..., want to check it again? :unsure:

Underclocking did not seem to bring more stability to 3DMark, so I brought back clocking to base value.

How Unigine Superposition fares if you'd try that?
Link: https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

As of which Preset to use:
1080p High - good for 1080p
1080p Extreme - torture preset

Might want to run different presets on different resos. Since while far fetched, issue might be with the resolution you're running. (Running out of ideas here.)

Btw, what your CPU temps are doing during all this (idle and under load)?

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
This isn't possible with DDR5, since lowest where DDR5 stats from, is 4400 Mhz, while the lowest your MoBo supports is 4800 Mhz,
MoBo specs: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/spec/

So..., want to check it again? :unsure:

How Unigine Superposition fares if you'd try that?
Link: https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

As of which Preset to use:
1080p High - good for 1080p
1080p Extreme - torture preset

Might want to run different presets on different resos. Since while far fetched, issue might be with the resolution you're running. (Running out of ideas here.)

Btw, what your CPU temps are doing during all this (idle and under load)?

Thanks for sticking up with these issues. What a mess.

So regarding the ddr5, I agree that the bios showing different frequencies at times is awkward. I found this video from a month ago (link at correct time mark):

View: https://youtu.be/pmCRg3jvfIk?t=110

in which they speak of these 4000mhz stock speeds. He actually has some of the ram I have there, the Kingston ones.
Maybe that could be a conflict with the mobo if it doesnt support lower speeds than 4400mhz. its confusing because memtest86 passed all 4 of the ram modules. But I am reading around and seeing that ddr5 has had some stability issues. update: Defnitely lots of posts around speaking of ddr5 ram compatibility issues and this 4000mhz stock speed. Now I'm thinking, I either need new set of ram, or need to find the correct timing/values in bios for them.
- For the ram, will try more tests with different bios settings and will test them individually maybe. Have to remove the cpu cooler every time because it prevents access to the dimm slots. If you have any ideas about what I could modify in bios settings for the ram, any input is welcomed.

I tried Unigine superposition tests:
GGIxUVq.png

wI8Afdr.png

These tests were made with my monitor resolution at 1080p, I did the tests at 2160p as well and they were the same by less of a 1% margin so no need to post them.
Regarding CPU temp, during these tests, core #2 and core #3 went up to 62-64°c, while all other 22 cores hovered between 40 to 52°c.

Anything else I should look for ?

your link didn't work but if both passed, it isn't really needed.

wifi antennae attached to motherboard aren't going to be a problem, I was just looking for anything I might have missed.

Thanks for answering.
So that should mean that the CPU isnt the culprit correct ? if the intel processor test passed.

On the plus side (fingers crossed) the system hasn't BSOD in a while. However the crashes on games launch keep happening, and I still get random status_access_violation error occasionally on chrome. If the cpu isn't the issue. I'm starting to think it has to be the ram/mobo combo somehow.

*Update: Im finding threads with people who have similar issues with this mobo/ram combo; https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...DDR5-5200-gt-Very-unstable-with-XMP-I-ON-HELP
Right now their site is down but hopefully it leads to something.

Last edited:

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
teething issues

How many sticks have you got?

cause ddr5 speed goes down as you add sticks (though that might only count at high amounts of ram, not lower) and you better off with 2 sticks.

Just two stick at the moment in a2 & b2, specifically to try and avoid 4 sticks issues. Currently looking into what inputs to change in bios to make them stabler. Although I would have hoped the bios updates to handle that accordingly out of the box.

*side note, how can I check if two ram modules are on the same kit, its not that clear in the serial numbers. I want to make sure i didn't interverted 1 module from the other kit and vice versa.

Colif

Win 11 Master
side note, how can I check if two ram modules are on the same kit, its not that clear in the serial numbers. I want to make sure i didn't interverted 1 module from the other kit and vice versa.
good question
This is what BIOS sees
SizeSpeedManufacturerPart No.
0MHz
16384MB4800MHzKingstonKF560C40-16
0MHz
this is the link - https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?partid=KF560C40BB-16

So its not even showing its part of a set, just the 1 stick. Being someone who looks at lot of bios info, I hate it when memory makers do that. G Skill do it too, the individual sticks in sets don't tell me if its part of a set or not. All I know you bought 4 individual sticks.
It means I have to ask each time.

if you show us a photo of a stick, I might be able to see if there is anything on them that marks them as a set.

some problems like this need users to find them before they are seen.

AspV

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
good question
This is what BIOS sees
SizeSpeedManufacturerPart No.
0MHz
0MHz
this is the link - https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?partid=KF560C40BB-16

So its not even showing its part of a set, just the 1 stick. Being someone who looks at lot of bios info, I hate it when memory makers do that. G Skill do it too, the individual sticks in sets don't tell me if its part of a set or not. All I know you bought 4 individual sticks.
It means I have to ask each time.

if you show us a photo of a stick, I might be able to see if there is anything on them that marks them as a set.

some problems like this need users to find them before they are seen.

I just checked both ram sticks sets, and withing the sets, the ram sticks differ by 1 consecutive digit in the serial numbers. So, it seems the sets were correctly inserted, so thats not the issue unfortunately.

Now I only put 1 ram stick in the a2 dimm, and will try to stabilize from there and see if it the system gets healthier.
But, I am also this close to go to the store where I got these from to try and exchange the ram or something. The thing is I am not sure what I would have to switch, the mobo or/and the ram.
And assuming its still the same mobo, maybe its just too unstable with current bios and ddr5, and I would have to fiddle the timings/voltage anyways.
Quite unsettling either way.