System Builder Marathon: Performance And Value Compared

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]agreed, but ya know, it would be nice to see a little bit of variety. i mean, come on, for the $600 build, i was expecting a phenomII to be squeezed in there but instead, it was an old E5200...a phenomII 720BE would crush an E5200 in games, apps, and maybe even overclocking.[/citation]
The Phenom II X3 720BE would only crush the OC'ed E5200 in a few applications, while losing in others and costing exactly twice as much. Using the bundled AMD cooler in this small cube would have limited the OC to far less MHz than this E5200 reached.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]2shea[/nom]As to the i7, they are going to be EOL soon and de i5 will perform almost the same for less money.[/citation]
In addition to what Draven mentioned, a lot things are being added on die, such as graphics, PCI-Express Graphics controller (limited to 16 lanes, so you won't be pushing Tri-SLI, much less SLI if motherboard makers decide to to avoid x16 buses all together), and an integrated DMI.

Even if the PCI-e lane limit didn't kill any enthusiasts hopes for the i5, with all the added cruft on the die, do you think it's going to overclock nearly as well as the i7?

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]pauldh[/nom]The Phenom II X3 720BE would only crush the OC'ed E5200 in a few applications, while losing in others and costing exactly twice as much. Using the bundled AMD cooler in this small cube would have limited the OC to far less MHz than this E5200 reached.[/citation]

I honestly would rather have an E8400 and just run it stock instead of the E5200OC. Also you guys just seem to be recycling the same processors over and over again. At least your video card round ups have variety......You seem to be limiting yourselves. Variety is the spice of life.

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]caamsa[/nom]I honestly would rather have an E8400 and just run it stock instead of the E5200OC. Also you guys just seem to be recycling the same processors over and over again. At least your video card round ups have variety......You seem to be limiting yourselves. Variety is the spice of life.[/citation]
Everyone is different and many others have also commented they do not overclock and would put more money into the CPU. The E5200 is no thrill for the non-overclocker. But, the SBM series would rather maximize the money and OC a $70 chip for $200 performance than use a stock $164 chip and have less performance.

Honestly I can see running the E8x00's at stock... but can't see why anyone would run an E5200 at stock speeds. If the mobo allows, just bump up the FSB to 1066 or 1333 MHz and at least run 3.0GHz.

Variety is nice, but there needs to be a valid reason for the change. There was nothing better for under $100 than an OC'ed E5200. When it's surpassed for money, or the SBM price points change and allow a step up, then you'll see a different CPU. But when this machine's main focus was gaming and the theme a micro ATX cube...the money went into the case and GPU... which was partly made possible because of using a cool-running highly-overclockable cheap CPU.

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]pauldh[/nom]...Honestly I can see running the E8x00's at stock... but can't see why anyone would run an E5200 at stock speeds. citation]
clarification: anyone seeking performance. Understandable for uses such as a near silent HTPC.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]pauldh[/nom][citation][nom]pauldh[/nom]...Honestly I can see running the E8x00's at stock... but can't see why anyone would run an E5200 at stock speeds. citation]clarification: anyone seeking performance. Understandable for uses such as a near silent HTPC.[/citation]
looks like you forgot a little HTML there :p jk.

well with what your saying: yah i too would also prefer even an E8x00 series chip in the build running stock. then it would downclock and if needed, overclock hella better than an E5200

(oh wait, forgot the microATX enclosure, never mind)

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]jaywake[/nom]So how do we win one of these puppies?[/citation]
good question..
but i do beleive you ment: how do I win one of these
;)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]good question..but i do beleive you ment: how do I win one of these[/citation]
Lol, I'm wondering when they'll hold the contest, but I personally am not interested in winning one, simply because I recently order an i7 and 12GB of RAM. The only use I would have is the extra GTX 260's (or the 295's), so it would be a bit of a waste for me, so I probably wouldn't enter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jaywake[/nom]So how do we win one of these puppies?[/citation]

I'm told the official contest announcement is being held up by a typo and the need by several levels of management to make sure any correction in the typo meets legal requirements. So, we should see it any day now...please keep checking.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Lol, I'm wondering when they'll hold the contest, but I personally am not interested in winning one, simply because I recently order an i7 and 12GB of RAM. The only use I would have is the extra GTX 260's (or the 295's), so it would be a bit of a waste for me, so I probably wouldn't enter.[/citation]

you know what, go to hell >: ( dang rich people
jk

well if you win, i dont mind if ya send it to me ;)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]I'm told the official contest announcement is being held up by a typo and the need by several levels of management to make sure any correction in the typo meets legal requirements. So, we should see it any day now...please keep checking.[/citation]
I find that hilarious, but I believe it.

[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]you know what, go to hell >: ( dang rich people[/citation]
Well you've reminded me that I'm broke now, maybe I'll enter then sell the rest if I win =P

tapher

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If I win the top tier, I'll swap the graphics over to an OC'd E5200 board, just to see if a triplehead2go 1680x1050 display could game acceptably.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah July 3rd 2009 i thought it would be announced or something this makes us all antsy as the 1300 and 2500 rigs are quite nice for anyone to get.

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
"We even tested it against the motherboard used in our $1,300 system to make sure Don’s issue didn’t affect this model, and the FORT120 appears to be the perfect fit."

Ok guys, you've played with them long enough. (It's time to let go.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS