System Builder Marathon: TH's $2000 Hand-Picked Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I agree, however, this SBM was about 6-core performance.
With an i7-930, a better heatsink, 2 470s and maybe an extra fan or 2 for the case is in reach.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]duk3[/nom]I agree, however, this SBM was about 6-core performance.With an i7-930, a better heatsink, 2 470s and maybe an extra fan or 2 for the case is in reach.[/citation]yes, the i7-930 and a couple 470's would be normal in the SBM $2000 PC.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]I guess these were more performance driven choices. I still will miss the case, i'd gladly trade a 920/930 for the SilverStone Raven[/citation]Quality-wise, the Three Hundred is probably the best case you can get for under $80, but there should have been one more fan in the system given the internally-vented graphics cards the system ended up with. On the other hand, a lot of builders would be more than happy to "settle for" 4GHz at 1.30V, and the CPU will certainly live longer at the lower voltage.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]A 970 and a drop to 460s? Are you kidding me? How much is newegg dropping in ad revenue for you to help them dump this overpriced stock?[/citation]The 970 was a sub for the 1055T: Please outline a 970 build with GTX 480's for $2000 if you'd like to add credibility to your incredulity. Thanks!

[citation][nom]eyefinity[/nom]Who wouldn't go with Eyefinity or Nvidia surround with $2k?[/citation] Actually I proposed that for an upcoming SBM, but it couldn't be included this time since the former systems had already been decommissioned for shipment to the contest winners. So, who's up for an ATI EyeFinity/Nvidia Surround SBM?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]A 970 and a drop to 460s? Are you kidding me? How much is newegg dropping in ad revenue for you to help them dump this overpriced stock?[/citation]

The story has the numbers to *prove* the improvements made to this build. This is a solid configuration that we have no problem recommending.

Aside from that, we enjoy the luxury on the editorial side of operating completely separately from sales. In this case, our follow-up system was a good move editorially, and we get to give it away, to boot.

Best,
Chris Angelini

G

[citation][nom]eyefinity[/nom]Who wouldn't go with Eyefinity or Nvidia surround with $2k?[/citation]

Someone not wanting to spend an extra $1000 on monitors.

G

The 970 was a sub for the 1055T: Please outline a 970 build with GTX 480's for $2000 if you'd like to add credibility to your incredulity. Thanks!

How about bouild with 930 instead and some nice SSD?

Also I'd rather a case with proper PSU bottom mount, like Cooler Master does.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]rrr[/nom]How about bouild with 930 instead and some nice SSD?Also I'd rather a case with proper PSU bottom mount, like Cooler Master does.[/citation]
1.) The SSD is mentioned in the article. The problem is, it increases only synthetic test scores and the value analysis only uses "real world" benchmarks so it's basically a non-starter.
2.) The i7-930 is nice, and would normally have been used if this build hadn't been designed as a direct alternative to the former six-core build. It will probably be used next time!
3.) The Antec Three Hundred is "proper bottom mount", please check the photos!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]You should include boot times somewhere in performance measurments.[/citation]

Appreciate the feedback on this, guys. This is something we'll consider for the next SBM in the planning stages now!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]You guys really need to get comfortable with the coolermaster cases. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119233http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119215http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119228All three of these are far better values than the Antec you keep building in.[/citation]
I accidentally clicked the thumbs up icon on your message, and welcome the slamming of this comment as punishment. The case in this article was chosen for its excellent cooling-to-noise ratio, where the cases you picked are noisier and don't cool as well. It's all in the case reviews at this very site, really. None of the cases you picked even support dual front fans, and the original plan was to pair the dual front fans with graphics cards that vented externally.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I agree with the previous comments. Why go for a 6-core CPU? Unless you have some very specific requirements, you'd be much better off going with a quad-core and spending the money on an SSD. I guess the whole point of this thing is to be the best "benchmark machine", not necessarily the best bang-for-the-buck in the real world usage.

Don't worry, Crash, I thumbed his down; couldn't do it twice though (but I did agree with his subsequent comment).

This build provided excellent comparative data. Very well done. I might have made some changes if I were building, but for generating useful data, I can't think of any better or more useful choices.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
It's good to see that the processor still matters, and that building a balanced computer can yield higher results than what many (including myself) would consider better: throwing half of the budget towards graphics. Of course this build is going to be scrutinized for using certain components over others, but the end result is a massive improvement in 1920x1080 gaming. For the Orignal September $2000 build everyone questioned the use of a x4 1055T, why would you use a ~$200 processor in such a relatively high-end build? This revised build is balanced and it works, though people would argue about the processor and graphics pairing until next the system marathon.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Then, why not simply state a six core build doesn't work -- and you won't present one for that reason -- because too much is placed on the processor for the difference you get vs. say a $600 cheaper 930. Elsewhere on this site you say exactly that.

And ssd's are thought to provide performance improvements -- albeit immeasurable -- by reducing microdelays that occur during game while hdd's read data. I think I read that ON YOUR SITE.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS