Question System continuously crashing over numerous games

Oct 28, 2020
Hi all,

So around this time last year I upgraded a lot of my pc and currently sit with the following;
9900K - no overclock
STRIX 2080S ADV - underclocked (I'll explain that in a moment as that is the main issue I think)
32GB RAM (max 3600MHz)
Win10 all updated
Bios all updated
Latest NVIDIA drivers.

So here is my issue, since pretty much day one, the only way I've been able to get a lot of games to work is to remove all factory overclock from my GPU and just give it a bonus of 50% voltage, these games stem over the likes of COD:MW, A few Ubi games like AC series and a bunch of random games for example Ancestors on Steam. No big deal but I am having more and more issues and hoping I can finally find a fix (never had an issue when it was a 7700K/1080). The underclock removes 183 (1647 total) from the GPU boost clock and 1550 (13952 total) from the memory overclock, and adds 50% to the voltage. default for the card is 1830 for GPU boost clock, 0 on voltage and 15502 on memory clock.

Today like many, I booted up Watchdogs 3 at first it worked, then it was crashing every 5 minutes and chewing up CPU usage, now it is doing the opposite and not going past loading from the main menu.
I contacted Ubi as another game I had issues with was AC Odyssey recently - but I managed to resolve that crashing every 5 minutes just by launching uPlay in admin mode, but they said they spotted an error in my GPU drivers and advised clean install (which I had already done both just with NVIDIA option of clean install and via DDU) but was hoping to maybe see if anyone is able to finally help or advise what else I can try.

Kind of worried that there is an issue with the card itself, and would be out of the RMA to send back.

I have got both my dxdiag and msifo but trying to figure out how to attach files to avoid a wall of text.

Edit: can't add files it seems so here is a link to a googledrive folder with both files in and thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to look at this and try to help.

Oct 28, 2020
what the motherboard? make and model of the psu?

check cpu/gpu temp?
Motherboard is ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero
PSU is Corsair HX850i Platinum
Temps never go above 55C on CPU and roughly the same on GPU

At first the CPU was under heavy load (85%+) from WD3 but now it has gone the other way, plays for 5-10mins then blackscreen and then it is using 0.1% CPU

Oct 28, 2020
Just an update - I decided to do fresh install of everything wiped the system with clean install of windows, still got the likes of Watch Dogs Legion crashing after 2 minutes in game.

Edit: Was issue with the overclock, used Afterburner and that sorted the issue by underclocking

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020
Hi all,

So around this time last year I upgraded a lot of my pc and currently sit with the following;
9900K - no overclock
STRIX 2080S ADV - underclocked (I'll explain that in a moment as that is the main issue I think)
32GB RAM (max 3600MHz)
Win10 all updated
Bios all updated
Latest NVIDIA drivers.

So here is my issue, since pretty much day one, the only way I've been able to get a lot of games to work is to remove all factory overclock from my GPU and just give it a bonus of 50% voltage, these games stem over the likes of COD:MW, A few Ubi games like AC series and a bunch of random games for example Ancestors on Steam. No big deal but I am having more and more issues and hoping I can finally find a fix (never had an issue when it was a 7700K/1080). The underclock removes 183 (1647 total) from the GPU boost clock and 1550 (13952 total) from the memory overclock, and adds 50% to the voltage. default for the card is 1830 for GPU boost clock, 0 on voltage and 15502 on memory clock.

Today like many, I booted up Watchdogs 3 at first it worked, then it was crashing every 5 minutes and chewing up CPU usage, now it is doing the opposite and not going past loading from the main menu.
I contacted Ubi as another game I had issues with was AC Odyssey recently - but I managed to resolve that crashing every 5 minutes just by launching uPlay in admin mode, but they said they spotted an error in my GPU drivers and advised clean install (which I had already done both just with NVIDIA option of clean install and via DDU) but was hoping to maybe see if anyone is able to finally help or advise what else I can try.

Kind of worried that there is an issue with the card itself, and would be out of the RMA to send back.

I have got both my dxdiag and msifo but trying to figure out how to attach files to avoid a wall of text.

Edit: can't add files it seems so here is a link to a googledrive folder with both files in and thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to look at this and try to help.
Check your psu