Apr 12, 2020
I recently bought a used PC with a Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD. It has recently been making sounds when gaming especially when loading heavy saves of games (Subnautica), sometimes causing a Unexpected Store Expection BSoD. When playing Apex Legends I have experienced some packet loss followed by a Critical process died BSoD. I took it to a computer shop to change hard drives but they told me it was an issue with the power supply (PADO Batman N500 Plus 500W) without checking it throughly. I plugged in a different socket and changed SATA cables and the issue seemed to have improved. It stopped crashing when loading games. But it crashed once when playing CSGO after making some noises (2 days ago). It has been making noises sometimes not as frequently.
CrystalDisk says that the hard drive is in good conditions.
I have updated all drives (checked each one)
This is the noise it made when trying to load a Subnautica save: https://voca.ro/onvGLBKd0sG
I only get this noise sometimes once or twice unlike before when it was continuous.
This noise now usually occurs after 2-3 minutes of starting a game.
I haven't lost any data.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
I recently bought a used PC with a Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD. It has recently been making sounds when gaming especially when loading heavy saves of games (Subnautica), sometimes causing a Unexpected Store Expection BSoD. When playing Apex Legends I have experienced some packet loss followed by a Critical process died BSoD. I took it to a computer shop to change hard drives but they told me it was an issue with the power supply (PADO Batman N500 Plus 500W) without checking it throughly. I plugged in a different socket and changed SATA cables and the issue seemed to have improved. It stopped crashing when loading games. But it crashed once when playing CSGO after making some noises (2 days ago). It has been making noises sometimes not as frequently.
This is the noise it made when trying to load a Subnautica save: https://voca.ro/onvGLBKd0sG
I only get this noise sometimes once or twice unlike before when it was continuous.
I haven't lost any data.

I haven't lost any data.
I don't claim to be an expert on mechanical drives, but the noise sounds to me like the actuator arm bouncing off its stop because it can't find the data it's looking for. This can be due to data corruption, the head being worn or out of alignment, the actuator arm worn out, the platter is damaged, the circuit board has issues, or the power supply is not working properly. If the hard drive is at fault (the most likely problem) it will not get better with time and use. Now would be a good time to replace it with an SSD and replace your cheap power supply with a good quality model from a reliable source.

Reactions: oaks1337
Apr 12, 2020
I don't claim to be an expert on mechanical drives, but the noise sounds to me like the actuator arm bouncing off its stop because it can't find the data it's looking for. This can be due to data corruption, the head being worn or out of alignment, the actuator arm worn out, the platter is damaged, the circuit board has issues, or the power supply is not working properly. If the hard drive is at fault (the most likely problem) it will not get better with time and use. Now would be a good time to replace it with an SSD and replace your cheap power supply with a good quality model from a reliable source.
Thank you,
I just got a crash while on a Zoom meeting. Critical Process Died.
After restarting I found out that SysMain was using 80-90% disk so I disabled it. Could that have been the cause?