Feb 4, 2022
Hi All,

I have been having system crashes for 10 months now since building my new PC. I have narrowed it down to either my RAM or CPU (though CPU seems to be more likely, but I want to confirm here).
The following are my PC specs:

Motherboard - Asus Gaming TUF B560 Wifi
CPU - Intel Core i5 - 11400
CPU Cooler - Vetroo V5 Air cooler
GPU - NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti - FE
RAM - 2 sticks Silcon XPower Zenith - 16gb
PSU - EVGA 850W GT
SSD - Kingston 240GB (windows 11 installed)
HDD - 1TB

My PC first started crashing when I enabled XMP, so then I tuned my VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.15W. For a while the PC was stable, until one day it started crashing again while playing CSGO. So I naturally went ahead and turned off XMP all together and just reset all bios settings to default. PC kept crashing while playing CSGO (less frequently though). Finally, I tried resetting the bios via jump starting with the 2 pins on the mobo and that didn't work either. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam and CSGO and even tried resetting windows 11 and those didn't work either.

Replacements:
PSU - Went from EVGA 500W BA to EVGA 710W BP to finally EVGA 850W GT (currently in the system)
MOBO - Gigabyte B560M DS3H to Asus TUF Gaming B560 with Wifi (currently in the system)

Stress testing:
RAM via win mem diag, memtest86, AIDA64 and OCCT (no errors unless XMP enabled)
GPU via Aida64 and heaven benchmark (passed with flying colors)
CPU (with no overclocks) - I have originally tested via Cinebench which passes with flying colors every time. I have later tried testing via OCCT using "Large" Data set and this is where it fails at random moments.
  • OCCT CPU test - With "AVX" and "AVX2" it fails at the 5 min mark, on "Auto" it has failed in the 30th and 40th mins
  • Prime95 CPU Test - Not sure if I know how to use, but my PC freezes at random after max 30 mins
  • AIDA64 CPU Only - Passes (no errors), HOWEVER, when I run "stress cache" alone or in combo with CPU+FPU, I get hardware failure message.
  • IntelBurnTest - Only fails on "Maximum" stress level and "10" times to run. Quick crash when I use "High" but 50 times to run. Passes all other levels with 10 for times to run.
(All CPU tests fail quickly when XMP is enabled or any other overclocks are involved).

I also ran "WhoCrashed" in order to analyze what component could be causing my crashes and only messages I get is that it may be a software issue or my RAM is overheating. But this message is conflicting because all memory tests that I have run have passed with flying colors (with no overclocks).

I have thus far ruled out: PSU, MOBO and GPU. Is there anyway to confirm whether my RAM, CPU or something else could be the culprit of the crashes? If so, is there a fix I can do without having to buy a replacement?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have been having system crashes for 10 months now since building my new PC. I have narrowed it down to either my RAM or CPU (though CPU seems to be more likely, but I want to confirm here).
The following are my PC specs:

Motherboard - Asus Gaming TUF B560 Wifi
CPU - Intel Core i5 - 11400
CPU Cooler - Vetroo V5 Air cooler
GPU - NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti - FE
RAM - 2 sticks Silcon XPower Zenith - 16gb
PSU - EVGA 850W GT
SSD - Kingston 240GB (windows 11 installed)
HDD - 1TB

My PC first started crashing when I enabled XMP, so then I tuned my VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.15W. For a while the PC was stable, until one day it started crashing again while playing CSGO. So I naturally went ahead and turned off XMP all together and just reset all bios settings to default. PC kept crashing while playing CSGO (less frequently though). Finally, I tried resetting the bios via jump starting with the 2 pins on the mobo and that didn't work either. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam and CSGO and even tried resetting windows 11 and those didn't work either.

Replacements:
PSU - Went from EVGA 500W BA to EVGA 710W BP to finally EVGA 850W GT (currently in the system)
MOBO - Gigabyte B560M DS3H to Asus TUF Gaming B560 with Wifi (currently in the system)

Stress testing:
RAM via win mem diag, memtest86, AIDA64 and OCCT (no errors unless XMP enabled)
GPU via Aida64 and heaven benchmark (passed with flying colors)
CPU (with no overclocks) - I have originally tested via Cinebench which passes with flying colors every time. I have later tried testing via OCCT using "Large" Data set and this is where it fails at random moments.
  • OCCT CPU test - With "AVX" and "AVX2" it fails at the 5 min mark, on "Auto" it has failed in the 30th and 40th mins
  • Prime95 CPU Test - Not sure if I know how to use, but my PC freezes at random after max 30 mins
  • AIDA64 CPU Only - Passes (no errors), HOWEVER, when I run "stress cache" alone or in combo with CPU+FPU, I get hardware failure message.
  • IntelBurnTest - Only fails on "Maximum" stress level and "10" times to run. Quick crash when I use "High" but 50 times to run. Passes all other levels with 10 for times to run.
(All CPU tests fail quickly when XMP is enabled or any other overclocks are involved).

I also ran "WhoCrashed" in order to analyze what component could be causing my crashes and only messages I get is that it may be a software issue or my RAM is overheating. But this message is conflicting because all memory tests that I have run have passed with flying colors (with no overclocks).

I have thus far ruled out: PSU, MOBO and GPU. Is there anyway to confirm whether my RAM, CPU or something else could be the culprit of the crashes? If so, is there a fix I can do without having to buy a replacement?

Any help would be appreciated!
Proper bios and mobo drivers?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Completely one of those "spend some money and find out" type guesses.

RAM kit.

Know anyone with a set of or even stick of DDR4 you can borrow?

Uninformed opinion is that RAM is easy to check first but could also be memory controller of CPU.

Feb 4, 2022
I might buy another I guess. I just sucks I keep spending money on new components and too lazy to return them when I find out it wasn’t the culprit lol.
Is there a reason you think it’s the RAM even though it passed all RAM specific tests? I’m confused with the CPU failures, could that still be tied to the RAM?

Here you go...
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54973683
not sure how this could help though.
Your behind on your bios so bring that up to date.

While your at the mobo site check the chipset driver level.

Did you put this new ram in the proper slots?

You have a lot of stuff loading at startup to use over 5GB of ram.
Make the startup group skinny.

Post a screenshot from crystal disk info for the ssd.