System Disc To Formatt

jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Hi All,
I am installing a hard drive to a computer I'm building. I plan on using Windows 2000 OS, but I won't get it for a few days. Can I use the system disc for Windows 98SE to get my drive ready, up to the point of actually installing the OS? Thanks,
Jack

G

yes...
partition the disc the way you want it with fdisk... format.

If you later want to change the partitions to NTFS, you will have plenty of oppurtunities to do so either during installation of Win2k or after.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Startup disk for Win98 will allow you to boot up your computer into a DOS prompt. As mentioned, you'll be able to partition and format your drive. Just make sure that CD-ROM support is enabled when you boot from the disk and you'll be fine (assuming you have an empty hard drive).

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Hi Again,
I'm using an IBM Deskstar 45. I'm trying to make my primry partition (C:) 10G and the remainder of the drive an extended partition (f:) of ~33G. After creating the extended should I make this logical? I've tried yes and no hoping for the prompts to to assign a drive letter but I end up back at the original menu. I haven't figured out how to assign. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?
Jack

G

after creating an extended partition you should get a prompt for assigning a certain amount or all of the extended partition to a logical drive.

If you are not, something is being done incorrectly or something is wrong.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I believe the answer to my question is to make the extended partition logical, then Fdisk assigns the drive letter automatically. After formating, the OS will reassign the cdrom(s) drive letter(s).