Question System does not POST after applying DOCP, do I need to overclock my CPU ?

Jul 5, 2024
Hi there!
System is as follows:
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
RAM: HyperX Predator 16GB DDR4 - 3333MHz (HX433C16PB3K2/16)

The RAM is two 8GB sticks sold in pairs, installed in slots A2 B2.
I'm running the latest bios version on the motherboard (Version 4604).

By default the system runs with RAM at 2400MHz, I'd like to get the expected 3333MHz.
Looking at the motherboard support documentation I can see that the memory I have has been tested at 16-18-18-36 1.35V 3333MHz which is exactly what the DOCP applies.
Looking at the CPU documentation it appears it supports only up to 3200MHz (I've not been able to confirm this with confidence).

I applied the DOCP settings that set the memory to 16-18-18-36 1.35V 3333MHz but the system failed to post.
Clearing the CMOS restores the 2400MHz and allows booting.

After reading the Troubleshooting problems with PC memory (RAM) and XMP profile configurations it seems to me that I might need to overclock my CPU to support those higher frequencies before setting up DOCP.

My question is as follows:
is the system failing to post because the CPU is not able to run the memory at that speed "by default" and thus would require some overclocking before toying with DOCP or is it something else?

I really don't want/need (and am afraid) to overclock my CPU, I just wanted the components to work at their advertised speed, so if there's something else other than overclocking the CPU I can do please do let me know!

Appreciate your help!

Hi there!
System is as follows:

The memory are two 8GB sticks sold in pairs, installed in slots A2 B2.
I'm running the latest bios version on the motherboard (Version 4604).

By default the system runs with RAM at 2400MHz, I'd like to get the expected 3333MHz.
Looking at the motherboard support documentation I can see that the memory I have has been tested at 16-18-18-36 1.35V 3333MHz which is exactly what the DOCP applies.
Looking at the CPU documentation it appears it supports only up to 3200MHz (I've not been able to confirm this with confidence).

I applied the DOCP settings that set the memory to 16-18-18-36 1.35V 3333MHz but the system failed to post.
Clearing the CMOS restores the 2400MHz and allows booting.

After reading the Troubleshooting problems with PC memory (RAM) and XMP profile configurations it seems to me that I might need to overclock my CPU to support those higher frequencies before setting up DOCP.

My question is as follows:

I really don't want/need (and am afraid) to overclock my CPU, I just wanted the components to work at their advertised speed, so if there's something else other than overclocking the CPU I can do please do let me know!

Appreciate your help!
No, you don't need to OC processor nor would that help. IMC (Internal Memory Controller) is in separate part of CPU and is "Overclocked" by overclocking RAM.
If you didn't already, update BIOS to latest version.
PS.
IMC 3200MHz is it's native speed over which it's considered OC. not hard limit.

Jul 5, 2024
No, you don't need to OC processor nor would that help. IMC (Internal Memory Controller) is in separate part of CPU and is "Overclocked" by overclocking RAM.
If you didn't already, update BIOS to latest version.
PS.
IMC 3200MHz is it's native speed over which it's considered OC. not hard limit.
Thanks for the reply!
Not having to overclock the CPU is great news but at this point I'm not sure what you are suggesting I do to move forward: the BIOS is already at is latest version and DOCP is simply not working.

Should I try lower frequencies (e.g., the 3200 you mentioned)?

Jul 5, 2024
What is other XMP setting?
Other DOCP setting is, I believe, 3000
I have not yet tested that, I was a little puzzled by the fact that there were two options

Also, for what is worth, I tried swapping the two sticks (same slots) but nothing changed (so I restored them to their original position).

Jul 5, 2024
There are usually 2 XMP profiles on faster ram. 3333MHz is somewhat oddball frequency for DDR4, usually 2400-3000-3200-3600 MHz.
Thanks, I'll try enabling the other profile when I'm back home: 3000/3200 is lower than 3333 but it's way higher than the 2400 I'm getting so if it works I'll take that as a win :D

Jul 5, 2024
There are usually 2 XMP profiles on faster ram. 3333MHz is somewhat oddball frequency for DDR4, usually 2400-3000-3200-3600 MHz.
The second DOCP option was indeed 3000MHz and it was able to POST and boot normally!
Thanks!

Would you advise trying 3200/3600MHz ?

Regardless of the fact that the performance differential is negligible, I'm still a little bummed out I don't know why it's not working at 3333MHz :/
If anyone happens to have any ideas or suggestions I'd love to know!

Hi
With my Asus x470 running a 2600x and g.skill flare x 3200 samsung B-die at that time, I was able to use Ryzen dram calculator and get 3400 fast.

Then updated the bios next level up and lost all ability to overclock the 3200.

I later upgraded to a 3600x, with a 3000 series bios and g.skill trident z rgb samsung b-die 3600 and overclock those to 3733

So good question that may never be answered.

Try 3200 and try see if you can tighten the timings.

There is a equation for the trfc sub timings
that can raise the reads and writes which also helps even if you can't get 3200.

The second DOCP option was indeed 3000MHz and it was able to post and boot regularly!
Thanks!

Would you advise trying 3200/3600MHz ?

Regardless of the fact that the performance differential is negligible, I'm still a little bummed out I don't know why it's not working at 3333MHz :/
If anyone happens to have any ideas or suggestions I'd love to know!
Try this, leave DOCP on 3000MHz XMP but raise frequency by another smallest step and test.May need to ad some RAM voltage too in small steps of 0.01-0.03V to stabilize it. There also an A/O chiplet in Ryzen which is in between IMC and RAM and it's"Fabric clock" should be set to RAM's native frequency so memory ratio stays 1(IMC):1(FC):1(RAM) for best effect. IMC is also affected by BCLK and it can also be used for fine tuning.

TRENDING THREADS