Question system doesn't "boot" unless I remove cmos battery

Alquist

Commendable
Jul 18, 2022
the reason I said "boot" is that it doesn't properly boot even without the cmos battery, but atleast it lets me to get into windows somehow after a lot of pain. Yesterday when I turned on the pc it wasn't giving any image and it was kind of boot looping, it flashes the power led 2 times with 2 to 3 sec delay and fans and all start running but power led turns on with a slight delay after the components start running , that delay is 4 sec. Then after waiting 4 minutes (system might reboot in that time or not) it shows a screen where it says CMOS settings wrong because I took out the cmos battery (it won't even get to there without taking it out) then I got into bios reconfigure it and save. after saving it still takes more than the normal time it needs to boot into windows and if I turn off the pc I have to go through the same cycle again in order to use the pc.

Things I tried:
change CMOS battery
clear CMOS
update BIOS
try RAM sticks one by one on each slot
try 3 different PSUs
try booting without any peripherals

And none of these solved the problem so the last thing I didn't try is a new mobo and cpu, but because I'am able to boot into windows and use it I don't think its something related to cpu, I even tried to game for a while but got BSOD eventually.

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5, 21.05.2015
CPU: I5-4460
CPU cooler: AeroCool low profile
Motherboard:ECS H81H3-M4 V1.0A
Ram: Muhskin 8gb 1333mhz, Kingston 8gb 1600 (set to 1333 to work with the other one)
SSD/HDD: PNY 240Gb SSD
GPU: N/A
PSU: ASUS ATX 500H 500W [age unknown] , other two: Cooler Master MWE White 500W [2 year old] , L&C 235W [age unknown]
Chassis: Zalman T6
Monitor: LG Flatron 20en33

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

try 3 different PSUs
You should include all makes and models of the PSU's you've used to troubleshoot the system with. If they're used, include their ages.

Alquist

Commendable
Jul 18, 2022
Update: I am dumb, it was a faulty case power on switch, turned the PC on with a screwdriver and nothing is wrong for now... I will update if something goes wrong again.