Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Hi there, attempting to find an issue with my PC. I was having a lot of boot issues upon making up a new system (bios screen would show, it would attempt to load and then screen would go black and peripherals would turn off) I had this issue with the previous system upon adding a new pair of ram sticks and I decided to do a minor upgrade and replace as a result. I’m now having this issue on the new pc. I blamed it on the new sticks and pulled them out and the system was running fine for awhile even booted up a game but after a few hours it had crazy fps drops from around 400 avg to suddenly 50-60 and stuttering even in the windows home page. Once I reset the system thinking it might be a thermal issue it’s now booted to a black screen once again with the ram that previously worked. Am I correct in assuming it was the old ram that’s likely got issues and that just compounded when I added the new ones? Just want to figure out the likeliest cause before I spend more money on a better quality ram

Not sure if it matters but the new replacement parts are cpu 11900k, gigabyte auorus elite z590 3200mhz Corsair vengeance ram

List all your parts, both old and new.
Have you made a clean install of Windows after changing motherboard?
What cooler you use now? Same as before? If yes make sure it is not over tightened, as the symptoms you describe are pointing towards wrong cooler pressure.

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Old parts were
Motherboard: msi z490
Cpu:10700k
Ram: Corsair vengeance 3200mhz ddr4
Gpu: 2070 super

new is
Motherboard: gigabyte Auorus elite z590
Cpu 11900k
Ram is the same and same gpu
Fresh install of windows 10
Cooler I did get a larger one at the ML360L coolermaster. Would a too tight cpu cooler result in boot issues?

I blamed it on the new sticks and pulled them out
it’s now booted to a black screen once again with the ram that previously worked
Ram is the same
I'm confused. Your post suggest more then one RAM was used?

Cooler I did get a larger one at the ML360L coolermaster. Would a too tight cpu cooler result in boot issues?
Absolutely. Not only boot issues but all kind of problems, even FPS drops could be caused by too much pressure on CPU socket.

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
I apologise, I bought a brand new pair of ram sticks. Another set of Corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz ram to put into my old pc. It originally had 2x8gb in the second and fourth ram slots as my motherboard manual recommended. Upon installing the new ram into the spare slots which now have 4x8gb my pc was booting to a black screen after the bios screen and turning off perhiperals just like my current problem. I decided to take the chance and upgrade the lot thinking it might be a memory controller issue on my old motherboard and upgraded minorly to a system pcie 4.0 capable incase I wished for one of the new cards coming out. My new pc however was having the same black screen issues when I enabled xmp profile to everything from 2400-2600-2933 and 3200mhz. Sometimes it would boot, sometimes it would crash. I blamed it on the new ram sticks and ran the old that previously worked for a year now and it was running fine until the huge performance issues which I blamed on thermals and I couldn’t even run coretemp to find out if that were the case so I shut the system down in the hopes of cooling it off to restart and do some testing. It booted to the black screen again

I apologise, I bought a brand new pair of ram sticks
No need to apologize. Just need a clear picture of situation. So you had 2 sticks, then added 2 more sticks. That alone could cause problem as mixing kits is hit and miss game (even if it were 2 copies of same kit). It would not matter if you changed motherboard, if the pairs were not working together in old motherboard then chance they would work in new one are minimal. You did correct thing to use just one kit.
ran the old that previously worked for a year now and it was running fine until the huge performance issues
How long it was running fine? Days, weeks, longer?
just how tight is considered too tight?
It is hard to tell, but basically you want the pump (or heatsink when using air cooler) to not move at all (because if you can move it then it is not tight enough). Also it may be that just one screw is too tight and that could be enough.

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
just how tight is considered too tight?
No need to apologize. Just need a clear picture of situation. So you had 2 sticks, then added 2 more sticks. That alone could cause problem as mixing kits is hit and miss game (even if it were 2 copies of same kit). It would not matter if you changed motherboard, if the pairs were not working together in old motherboard then chance they would work in new one are minimal. You did correct thing to use just one kit.

How long it was running fine? Days, weeks, longer?

It is hard to tell, but basically you want the pump (or heatsink when using air cooler) to not move at all (because if you can move it then it is not tight enough). Also it may be that just one screw is too tight and that could be enough.
Well the ram initially was used for over a year with zero issues this time only the two days, pc was running fine until the severe performance issues and then wouldn’t boot. would the solution be to buy 4xram kits if I wished to use all the slots? Would my going forward solution be to take the cooler off. Reapply paste and remount firm but not tight?

would the solution be to buy 4xram kits if I wished to use all the slots?
It is certainly much safer to use just one kit. Personally I recommend 2 stick kits though as it is much easier for memory controller that way, allowing higher speeds more easily. So if you need say 32 Gb then go for 2x16 Gb. That said, we don't know if it's the RAM problem yet.
Would my going forward solution be to take the cooler off. Reapply paste and remount firm but not tight?
At the start just try loosing screws a bit. If that does nothing you may attempt remount - when you do that pay attention to CPU socket for bent pins, as well as check if the paste was spread evenly on cooler.

There is also possibility the current problem is unrelated to anything you experienced earlier despite looking similar. You have to assume it may be any part that suddenly failed, starting from GPU (your CPU has integrated graphics so you can try without GPU).

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Did you in all of that do a clear cmos and maybe even test with just the new kit of ram? Like this,

take old kit out->clear cmos-> put new kit in, see how that works.
I did but that was when I went from 4 pieces of ram back to my original 2. This was fine until the huge performance issues that forced my restart, it won’t boot after that restart

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Just another update, I reapplied the cooler to firm but not tight, inspected all the pins and what not for damage and all was as it looked brand new. I’m still running into the issue however, reset my install and upon restarting and setting xmp profile on ram that was proven capable of doing so for over a year. I returned to a black screen restart. This is starting to drive me crazy

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Just another update, I reapplied the cooler to firm but not tight, inspected all the pins and what not for damage and all was as it looked brand new. I’m still running into the issue however, reset my install and upon restarting and setting xmp profile on ram that was proven capable of doing so for over a year. I returned to a black screen restart. This is starting to drive me crazy
I’m going to reset the bios and try the new ram pairing to see if it was my ram that failed, hopefully it works out fine and can handle an xmp profile itself

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Alright another update, during a cpu stress test it’s showing obvious signs of throttling, it’s going from 5500 on the stress test speed down to 800-1400 but core temp has the temperatures stable no higher than 70 degrees as a max. Power settings are high power, im really concerned something is just not working

So system works with new RAM, good. Now it seems you had performance issues both on old and new RAM so it can't be problem with RAM. There are two reasons for throttling - temps and power. Temps are good so you should check power limits in BIOS or using ThrottleStop.

Myles Nauschutz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
So system works with new RAM, good. Now it seems you had performance issues both on old and new RAM so it can't be problem with RAM. There are two reasons for throttling - temps and power. Temps are good so you should check power limits in BIOS or using ThrottleStop.
I will have a look, on a side note it may be a thermal thing Aswell. During a stress test it never goes higher than 70 degrees but it also stays around 60-70 during stress test even when dropping down to 800-1400 down from 5400-5500 to is it possible I have a broken temp sensor and it’s thermal throttling? It also rarely uses more than 120-130 watts while under 100 load on the stress test which seems a little low

Last edited: