Question System not booting after using 4x ram slots in gigabyte z87x-ud3h mobo though all rams are of same capacity, brand, speed, and chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
hi, my cpu i5-4670k, gpu - zotac 1050ti mini, mobo- gigabyte z87x-ud3h, bios version F10b, psu corsair cs650m , ram 4x4gb @1600 mhz, MX 500 500gb ssd, WD 1TB sata internal hdd, AHCI,windows10,
all my rams are of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips. my 4th 4gb ram is brand new and when i installed it , my system is failing to boot even it cant enter bios, its just restarting continuously within 1-2 seconds and even it can't reach up to gigabyte logo screen and my monitor completely dark . in my motherboard memory slots are like this- View: https://i.imgur.com/LgvShRV.jpg

i inserted the 4th ram in DDR3_1 slot. the wierd thing is even when i was using 3 ram sticks , i had to always keep DDR3_1 slot free for successful boot. for 3x ram configuration if i used DDR3_1 slot and any other 2 slots then that same boot failure issue happened. though if i used 2x or single ram configuration and used that DDR3_1 slot my system would boot fine and in 2x ram configuration i was getting dual channel mode when i was using slot DDR3_1 and DDR3_2. Another weird thing is when i was using 3x ram configuration and left DDR3_1 empty , CPU-Z was showing my ram is in dual channel mode. And yes i did loaded optimized defaults in bios before installing the ram. Clearing c_mos did not fix it either.On motherboard there's an 2 digit debug code showing screen and it's showing debug code 15 which in the manual says is "Pre-Memory Northbridge Initialization.". Also my system boots fine with that new ram in single ram configuration. please help me with this issue.

Last edited:

Kalle96

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
The RAM could be faulty? Try only using 2 sticks at the same time from the kit, and switch around so you try all sticks. Also, try clearings CMOS, but do that first since it's probably easier. If you don't know how to do that, look in the motherboard manual, usually its a button or 2 pins that you need to link together on the board.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
The RAM could be faulty? Try only using 2 sticks at the same time from the kit, and switch around so you try all sticks. Also, try clearings CMOS, but do that first since it's probably easier. If you don't know how to do that, look in the motherboard manual, usually its a button or 2 pins that you need to link together on the board.
Thank you for replying. i did loaded optimized defaults in bios before installing the ram. Is it same as clearing cmos? Also my system booted fine with the new ram in single ram configuration.

Kalle96

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
I'm not sure if loading optimized defaults in bios is the same as clearing cmos, if I had to guess I would say no, and I would try clearing cmos anyway.

Anyway, does all RAM sticks work if only one is plugged in?

Kalle96

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
If clearing CMOS does not fix your issues, maybe the motherboard is faulty? If you don't want to switch motherboard, you could possibly look into buying a 2x8 GB set of RAM?

Check the CPU socket for bent or missing pins. The memory controller resides inside the CPU, and if something is off, one or more memory slots will malfunction. You might also have the heatsink torqued down too tight on one or more corners, causing the CPU to sit slightly askew in its socket, which will cause the same issues.

Reactions: eziowar

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Check the CPU socket for bent or missing pins. The memory controller resides inside the CPU, and if something is off, one or more memory slots will malfunction. You might also have the heatsink torqued down too tight on one or more corners, causing the CPU to sit slightly askew in its socket, which will cause the same issues.
Thank you for replying. That can happen cause i installed hyper evo 212 cpu cooler myself 3 years ago. Btw how do i do those things you suggested. Also the slot ddr3_1 only not working for 3x and 4x ram configuration but working perfectly for 2x and single ram configuration. Can this b happen for cpu socket bent/missing pins/heatsink ? Also what did u mean by CPU missing pins? Does it mean my cpu is faulty and have less pins ? Also Clearing c_mos did not fix it either.On motherboard there's an 2 digit debug code showing screen and it's showing debug code 15 which in the manual says is "Pre-Memory Northbridge Initialization.".

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
You'll have to remove the cooler and CPU to check the socket. Make sure you clean all of the thermal compound off both the cpu and heatsink, then reapply. Do not reuse thermal compound else you may trap air bubbles which will cause overheating.
What do you mean by check the socket, do you mean i need to count the pins in socket and see if there's correct no of pins? Sorry if this a stupid question, i'm just so much fustrated.
Also i installed the cooler 3 years ago and if there was a cpu /heatsink placement issue , is it really possible to running the system with 3x4gb rams this long time without any issue ?

Last edited:
No, you're looking for bent/broken pins in the socket. You'll find a magnifying glass handy for this. Do NOT attempt to fix any bent pins until you've taken pictures and uploaded them here for review. Also, if you weren't using that particular socket until now you would never have noticed it.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
No, you're looking for bent/broken pins in the socket. You'll find a magnifying glass handy for this. Do NOT attempt to fix any bent pins until you've taken pictures and uploaded them here for review. Also, if you weren't using that particular socket until now you would never have noticed it.
Thanks for continuing to help me. But that ram socket always worked fine under 2x ram or single ram configuration. Cause i used to have only 2x ram and i always used that socket. Btw 1 more thing, i just tested that when i'm using 2x ram in ddr3_2 and ddr3_3 socket, cpu-z still showing its on dual channel but as of my motherboard manual (u can see in the image i provided in my main post) thats not possible. Is this a sign that my mobo is faulty or it's usual?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for continuing to help me. But that ram socket always worked fine under 2x ram or single ram configuration. Cause i used to have only 2x ram and i always used that socket. Btw 1 more thing, i just tested that when i'm using 2x ram in ddr3_2 and ddr3_3 socket, cpu-z still showing its on dual channel but as of my motherboard manual (u can see in the image i provided in my main post) thats not possible. Is this a sign that my mobo is faulty or it's usual?
Your adding memory that was not sold in a matched set so it might not work.

To make sure I got all the info right your saying all 4 slots work with just a single stick correct?

Go into BIOS and bump the voltage up to 1.55 save and exit turn off PC install the other stick and try again.

You still need to check it. This is how troubleshooting works. Never assume anything.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Not anywhere near as important with DDR3. As long as the types match (double sided/single sided, high density/low density, speed) all's good.
High and low density is a biggie. And still the same thing your not guaranteed to get it working adding memory even the exact model number.

Sounds like he is using a 2X4GB set then 2 single sticks or 4 single sticks.

If all 4 slots work with a single stick then adding voltage is the next step to me that would already say the CPU pins are fine..

The secondary settings could also need to be adjusted.

Last edited:

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
High and low density is a biggie. And still the same thing your not guaranteed to get it working adding memory even the exact model number.

Sounds like he is using a 2X4GB set then 2 single sticks or 4 single sticks.

If all 4 slots work with a single stick then adding voltage is the next step to me that would already say the CPU pins are fine..

The secondary settings could also need to be adjusted.
thank you for input, and yes all 4 slots work with a single stick. Btw i am currently testing all possible combinations of rams and slots. And i see in a specific combination even that ddr3_1 slot working even i'm using 3x rams. And also my rams are specified as 1.5 volt, giving 1.55 volt wont cause any harm right?

Last edited:
The Northbridge initialization error may be the CPU's memory controller not being up to the task.

Are you running an XMP profile? Disable it if so.

Overclocked? Disable

Set Performance Enhance to normal

Memory of different lot numbers may not have the same electrical characteristics, even if the vendor uses same model number for their DIMM. Mixed lots may or may not play together nicely.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
1.6 would still be safe. Try 1.55 running mine right now @ 1.58 DDR3 2133 overclocked to 2400mhz.
The Northbridge initialization error may be the CPU's memory controller not being up to the task.

Are you running an XMP profile? Disable it if so.

Overclocked? Disable

Set Performance Enhance to normal

Memory of different lot numbers may not have the same electrical characteristics, even if the vendor uses same model number for their DIMM. Mixed lots may or may not play together nicely.
You still need to check it. This is how troubleshooting works. Never assume anything.
ok i finally fixed the issue . hope others with same issue can solve their issue like me. from the beginning i was testing with different ram slot and ram stick combinations. even though my ram sticks were of same model , part no, capacity,frequency but still i saw some different boot success/failure results in different combinations as example once boot failed with 3 sticks though 2nd time after using those exact same ram slots and ram sticks but interchanging rams' positions made my system boot. so i checked cpu-z info of my rams , u can see them here-
View: https://i.imgur.com/p2cKYxa.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/JIxmkIN.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/Y8xIuWP.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/CDu35a7.jpg

my every ram has different version no which i wrote on their corresponding images. You can see version4.19 and v8.16 have exact same stats where v4.29 and v5.20 have exact same stats though there's some stats differences between those 2 pairs specially v4.19 and v8.16 have ranks "dual" where v4.29 and v5.20 have ranks "single". not sure in cpu-z what those terms stand for, please tell me if anyone of you know about it. Anyway so i used same stats' pair sticks in same colored ram slots ( i.e. same colored slot pair is in dual channel) and my sytem finally boots with all 4 rams and in dual channel mode. but i still have few questions -
  1. now it's sure that i dont have any faulty cpu socket pin or faulty heatink/cpu positioning or any faulty cpu/mother board right? they all fine right?
  2. in cpu-z v4.19 and v8.16 have ranks "dual" where v4.29 and v5.20 have ranks "single". what's that actually mean?
  3. Afaik system should run even with different model capacity ram sticks, mayb it wont enable dual channel and it will run in single channel but still system should boot and run completely fine. but for my case was those boot failure scenarios normal?
And thank you guys for all of your valuable inputs. Also please see this thread of mine- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-wrong-positioning-causing-any-issue.3622921/
Maybe it could be related to my issue?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.