System not running up to par.....Memory Problem?

G

Since I've started playing Counterstrike again Ive noticed that my computer has been underperforming tremendously. I use to get around 10 fps MINIMUM (Thats in a really large room with lots of people), but now I get about 5 fps on AVERAGE, (got about 20-25 average before). I downloaded & installed Cacheman 4.0 to see if it helped, but that just made my computer almost twice as slow. Im running on a celeron 300 (wont overclock anymore...dont know why), 128mb pc133, 30 gig 7200 rpm hard drive, on an i440 bx motherboard.
When my computer is idling in windows with nothing else running it says there is about 80-85% free system resources. I know I havent been really specific as to what might be the exact problem, but if people could just give me their IDEAS of whats going on and what to do Id VERY much appreciate it. Thank you.

Also, what makes me think it is a memory problem is that when I start up my computer it takes FOREVER to do a memory test (about 10 seconds or more).
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Karate_Dan on 06/27/01 02:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

What programs do you have running in the background on start-up?

Right now I have 87% free with Explorer, systray, Rnaapp, Tom's & resource monitor.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Well I have pretty much nothing running in the background...I closed all non-essential programs (didnt use ctrl+alt+del though).

Well cacheman is for when you have all your memory used up and the system starts using a swap file. If your operating with that much system resourses free, I'd doubt cacheman plays a factor here. If cacheman slowed down your computer I'd uninstall it if possible and undo any .ini files you may have altered.

I'd go to dos and type "mem/c/p". This will list all the memory resident programs currently being used and will tell you how much memory is free. It may be possible to get some of the programs to "load high", but I reckon this won't make much difference.

It might be an idea to check the speed of your RAM in the BIOS. Some types of memory can handle lower CAS latencies.

Try running Sandra to see if it can pick up on anything.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>