[SOLVED] System output audio is detected even if I unplug the microphone from the headset.

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
My last headset was working through USB so everything was fine, but the new headset I bought is using 3.5mm audio jack, and a weird behaviour is happening.

My friends told me that they can hear me watching a youtube video, at first I though it is just the microphone that picks up the audio from my headphones but after hours of fiddling around, I found out that even when I totally mute the sound on my headset the audio is still being picked up and used as input. I went even further and completely unplugged the microphone from my headset and the audio is still being picked up!

The main plug is a TRRS connector (3 black rings).

It's worth mentioning that I already have adapter delivered with this headset which I use to connect it to my pc as it splits the jack into two TRS because I can't connect it in any other way. Also, I tested the headset with my laptop which has one TRRS port and there is still sound without microphone but it is much much quieter and needs quite a volume to be heard but on the other hand has a lot of white noise while my PC has no white noise at all but the audio picked up is much louder.

Anyone has any idea how to fix this?

I tried these methods:
  • Disabling Stero Mix
  • Lowering dB gain
  • Turning on various background noise remover technologies.

Last edited:
Solution
That's interesting; the Arctis line (especially the Arctis 7) is very well regarded.

Might be worth talking to some of the experts over at:

Maybe they have some ideas; I've certainly never heard of this on the Arctis lineup.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look very closely at the plug on the end of the cord of your new headset. There are two common types. The one required for most computer front panel jacks has THREE contacts on it, called Tip, Ring and Sleeve. But some headsets for Apple and other systems have FOUR contacts: Tip, Ring1, Ring2, and Sleeve. Which do you have on your new headset? IF it is the FOUR-contact type, you can get an adapter to make it work with your jacks. Post back here what you find.

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Look very closely at the plug on the end of the cord of your new headset. There are two common types. The one required for most computer front panel jacks has THREE contacts on it, called Tip, Ring and Sleeve. But some headsets for Apple and other systems have FOUR contacts: Tip, Ring1, Ring2, and Sleeve. Which do you have on your new headset? IF it is the FOUR-contact type, you can get an adapter to make it work with your jacks. Post back here what you find.

The main plug is a TRRS connector (3 black rings).

It's worth mentioning that I already have adapter delivered with this headset which I use to connect it to my pc as it splits the jack into two TRS because I can't connect it in any other way. Also, I tested the headset with my laptop which has one TRRS port and it works fine. there is much less sound being picked up but has a lot of white noise.

Last edited:
This sounds less like a connection issue and more of a mixing problem. I'm thinking the audio output is somehow getting routed back as input for some weird reason. Otherwise there's no reason for your desktop to get played back when the microphone is physically disconnected.

How are you communicating with your friends? Might be a mixing issue with whatever chat app you are using, or it might be a generic windows thing.

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
This sounds less like a connection issue and more of a mixing problem. I'm thinking the audio output is somehow getting routed back as input for some weird reason. Otherwise there's no reason for your desktop to get played back when the microphone is physically disconnected.

How are you communicating with your friends? Might be a mixing issue with whatever chat app you are using, or it might be a generic windows thing.

It happens on any application. Discord, Messenger and I even test this myself with apps like Audacity and inbuilt windows voice recorder.

I refunded the headset I bought (Arctis 1) after hours and hours of trying to fix this issue as I came to a conclusion that it is a design flaw (I have also found this review here -> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/steelseries-arctis-1/5.html) which proves my point.

I really like steelseries comfort and design so I still went with steelseries this time with Arctis 5 (They are connected through USB so I though everything would be perfectly fine). I installed steelseries engine and modified some stuff and I am still a bit dissapointed, the crosstalk while much less of an issue and much better handled still happens at higher volumes. I came to the conclusion that this is a major flaw of all Arctis series headsets, but if anyone has still any ideas I will happily try to still fix this issue somehow.

That's interesting; the Arctis line (especially the Arctis 7) is very well regarded.

Maybe they have some ideas; I've certainly never heard of this on the Arctis lineup.

Solution

VeloxFerrum

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020

Thanks, I will try Head-Fi forum :)